Cardinal Tough: OLB Situation

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Clark Haggans, SOLB: was, imo, the most consistent and dependable defensive player in 2009. Talied off last year. But, at his age and years of experience, one has to wonder just how much he has left in the tank. It would be best for him and the team if his role is reduced this year and that he becomes part of a SOLB rotation. He will know what to expect from Ray Horton and Haggans' leadership in playing the system he knows and in helping the younger plays assimilate into the system will be valuable. Haggans is a high effort, high character guy...something the Cardinals need more of.

Joey Porter, WOLB: was used way too much last year in too varied a role which caused him to lose the bounce in his pass rush. What was mind-boggling were the number of times Porter was used in coverage on sure passing downs...especially since the Cardinals had no other bona fide edge rushers. What would seem to make the most sense is for the Cardinals to re-sign him to a more reasonable contract in order to be what Bertrand Berry was, the RDE on passing downs. The contract should be incentive laden...one that has sack incentives...such as giving Porter a $3M base and awarding him 100K for every sack he records....and another 500K if the Cardinals make the playoffs. Porter should feel comfortable with Ray Horton as DC and will know what's expected of him. If he balks at having to rework his contract...he most likely will be playing somewhere else next year, for a team that will use him in the revised pass rushing role previously defined.

Will Davis, OLB: has shown himself to be an aggressive edge player versus the run...somewhat of a liability in coverage...and not much of a pass rushing threat. Davis, as a junior in college, showed pass rushing promise, and this will be the key as to whether he will find a niche in the new Steeler style 34. In that system, if you can't rush the passer, you can't play. The zone schemes may make it easier for Davis to be more effective in pass coverage as he will be asked to defend the underneath flat or seam zones.

O'Brien Schofield, WOLB: he was a pleasant surprise during the last few games as he managed to return from a major knee injury in time to make a contribution and to gain valuable experience. The great news is that Schobie is now up to 256 pounds...and, knowing his character and work ethic is planning on having a breakout year. While one shouldn't rule out a switch to the strong side at some point when he continues to get bigger and stronger...it would appear that Schobie is more naturally suited to play the weak side where he can rush the QB's blind side.

Brandon Sharpe, SOLB: watching film of this kid while he was at Texas Tech made me sit up and take notice. He is an aggressive edge rusher who combines natural strength, strong base and arms, and an ability to rip his way quickly to the QB. He appears to fit the Steeler OLB mold---because he has the strength to bull rush and the quickness to turn the corner for sacks. He's more than a little raw at this point, but he has a chance to make the team and contribute, or possibly await his turn on the practice squad another year. Not sure at this point how he will fare in run and pass coverage responsibilities. He may be strictly a situational rusher.

Seeing as the Cardinals have two WOLB edge threats in Porter and Schofield and no bona fide edge threats at SOLB, it would seem wise for the Cardinals to address the SOLB position early in the draft.

And the categories are:

Production---Pass Rush---Vs. Run---Instincts/Motor---Intangibles

V. Miller, TEX A&M..........1---1---2---2---2
R. Quinn, UNC................2---1---2---3---3
A. Smith, MIZ................2---3---1---3---3
R. Kerrigan, PUR.............1---2---2---1---1
A. Ayers, UCLA..............1---2---2---2---2
B. Carter, UNC...............2---2---2---3---2
B. Reed, ARI..................3---1---3---1---2
J. Houston, GA...............3---2---3---4---3
J. Sheard, PIT................2---2---2---3---4
S. Acho, TEX.................3---3---3---3---1
J. Beal, OK....................1---3---4---2---2
M. Wilson, ILL................2---3---2---3---4
C. Carter, FRES..............2---2---4---2---3
D. Moch, NEV................2---3---2---3---2
C. Matthews, SCAR........2---3---3---3---2
M. Herzlich, BC..............1---3---3---2---1
B. Miller, UCF.................1---2---3---2---1
R. Elmore, ARI...............3---3---4---3---1
*C. Jordan, CAL.............2---3---1---2---2

My thoughts and notes:

Von Miller, WOLB: fastest edge player in the draft, a leader by example and high character person. Strictly a WOLB. Shoots the edge with blazing speed...but rarely maintains the edge...gets pushed far and wide of the pocket too frequently, leaving a gaping hole to the QBs left...has great recovery speed to circle back to the QB with...but in the NFL he won't be able to get back to the QB nearly as often as he did in college. Not very physical at the point of attack or in defending the run. Can use his speed in space---can cover when called upon.

Cardinal Tough? Iffy---love the speed, but wonder if he's a fit in the system.

Robert Quinn, WOLB: has to play on the weak side because he is not instinctive or consistently productive in defending the run. Has excellent pass rushing ability---is best when he can just rush the edge---more of a beat you to the edge rusher---not a bull rusher---has strong hands and legs, but not exceptionally strong upper body strength. With a year to train for the combine, it was disappointing he could only muster 20 reps at 225. As several scouts have indicated, they believe that because of his year off, he will have a more difficult time assimilating into a system---will likely be a situational rusher to start with. One scout confirmed what I saw on his tapes: "Good overall effort---rarely takes plays off. Instincts are below average, though. Frequently late locating the ball, especially versus the run."

Cardinal Tough? Not at #5. He does not warrant a #5 grade, imo, and won't be an immediate starter.

Aldon Smith, WOLB/SOLB/34 DE: Versatile and explosive...but incredibly raw and not at all instinctive. A read and react player who does not fire off the ball consistently well...but...when he locates the ball he explodes toward it. I think he best fits as a weak side five tech 34 DE.

Cardinal Tough? Not at #5.

Ryan Kerrigan, SOLB: Fits the Steeler OLB mold because he has a relentless motor, excellent strength (can bench press 455 pounds) can bull rush and he has the quickness to track down the ball in a hurry and with a bang (NCAA record for forced fumbles). And as with LaMarr Woodley, you don't ever have to take him off the field, as he becomes the LDE in the 4 man rush packages. What you love about him as a pass rusher is that he maintains the edge---and narrows the pocket---he never gets steered too wide of the pocket. A inside rusher like Darnell Dockett would have a field day rushing next to this guy as Kerrigan feeds the QB right to him. Some scouts question his ability to play OLB, seeing as all he played at Purdue was DE. But he ran a 4.65 at the combine and looked solid in agility drills. Plus, you know what you are getting with this kid---a non-stop motor and superior mental and physical toughness.

Cardinal Tough? Yes. He brings the kind of toughness this defense and this team needs. Ideally it would be great to move down a little to add another pick or two and still be able to take him, because he's projected to go in the teens. Rumor now has it that the Houston Texans want to move up to the top five...how about a trade with them for their #11, #73 and #105 picks?

Would I still pick Kerrigan at #5 if we were unable to move down: Yes. Without one iota of hesitation. To me a choice between Kerrigan and Quinn isn't even close. Kerrigan is a much stronger, better and dynamic football player and leader than Quinn. We need strong rock and sock em football players and leaders. This kid is a leader in everything he does...two time academic All-American. While Quinn was sitting on his arse last year for taking improper benefits and costing his team a chance for an ACC title, Kerrigan was playing his arse off snap after snap for a team desperate to win games...and Kerrigan has been playing this way for three years straight. He's no one year wonder, like Quinn. If we take Kerrigan, he will start immediately and you won't be able to take him off the field. This kid's stamina is off the charts...which, with teams passing so often these days, you need from your pass rushers: great stamina. We need high motor guys and this kid is a monster diesel. And we need good tacklers, probably more than anything else. Ryan Kerrigan is the best tackler of any defensive player in this draft---the only one I would rank close to him is Marcell Dareus.

Two more notes on Quinn: in his big year in 2009 10 of his 11 sacks were versus the lesser teams on UNC's schedule. I went back and watched his game versus BC and LT Anthony Castonzo and Castonzo stonewalled him all afternoon...and BC ran to Quinn's side with repeated success. Quinn was not much of a factor. He doesn't fight to get to the ball the way a great competitor does. He doesn't turn and run after the ball the way a great competitor does, either.

Akeem Ayers, SOLB: TSN compared him to Clark Haggans and I think that's a pretty astute comparison. There's lots to like about this kid. He's smart, aggressive and disciplined. Solid finisher. But, like Haggans, he's not a prolific pass rusher...not a bull rush type...and not a 34 OLB you can slide down to 45DE (4 man rush-nickel) when you rush 4.

Cardinal Tough? At #38, I would hop all over him...but he will go late first or very early second.

Bruce Carter, SOLB: explosive player, who to me is a better fit at SAM (SILB) in our defense, because he has very good range, has very strong hands in shedding blockers, puts a licking into his tackles and is a very good straight line blitzer (not much of a pure edge rusher).

Cardinal Tough? Because of his reconstructive ACL surgery, he may be the O'Brien Schofield of this year's draft and would be a great pick in round three or four, especially if the Cardinals trade down to add picks.

Brooks Reed, WOLB. Strictly a WOLB. Attacks the edge hard and quickly and can turn the corner to the QB with an excellent burst. The comparison to Clay Matthews is reasonable. The only thing that makes me curious is why he only had 6.5 sacks this past year. In the games I studied he wasn't getting double teamed much...and he was often getting close to the QB...but honestly, I saw his bookend DE Ricky Elmore making more plays. In any event, what Reed accomplished at the Senior Bowl removed any doubts I had.

Cardinal Tough? At #38---if he's there---I would consider taking him, but I am not so sure he would be a good fit for our defense. I think Schobie is a better fit at WOLB and I question whether Reed at his size could be an effective DE in a 4 man rush---which is ideally what you want your Steeler like OLBers to be able to do.

Justin Houston, SOLB: I maintain that Houston has the most explosive first step off the edge of any OLB/DE on the draft. Man, does he explode off the snap. He could have used another year of experience at Georgia because he is still learning the nuances of the 34OLB position and his understanding of it is not second nature yet. But, I am very high on his talent and I believe that barring injury he will have a good NFL career.

Cardinal Tough? At #38, I would rush his name to the podium. But, pass rushers like him don't usually slide to #38. He's one of the more raw ones, so who knows?

Jabaal Sheard, SOLB: after Kerrigan, I think this is the player who resembles a Steeler type OLB the best. He's a great bull rusher and closer on the QB. Has excellent lower and upper body strength. Will be able to rush from 5 or 4 man lines. May not be as flexible on the edge as you'd want---but neither is LaMarr Woodley.

Cardinal Tough? He's the player I will be hoping for more than any other at #38 if we do not draft a pass rusher in the first round. Beyond him, there are no prolific pass rushers in this draft---and thus the Cardinals may get shut out of the good ones once again if they do not address the need in round one. That is my biggest concern in this draft.

Jeremy Beal, SOLB: he too reminds me of Clark Haggans. High effort competitor who will do all he can to make plays---but is not athletically gifted enough to rush the passer with consistent results. He has the strength to bull rush which puts him squarely in our pciture, but as we saw in the Senior Bowl, he has trouble disengaging from the tackle and creating a crease in which to get through to the QB. Big7brd has an interesting thought that Beal might make a good SILB---and because Beal is so competitive, the thought has some merit. But, again his lack of speed may be a deterrent there---while his strength and physicality would be an asset.

Cardinal Tough? If the Cardinals get shut out of the good pass rushers, they may reach for Beal and hope for the best. He will work hard but, imo, is not a short or long term solution at the position.

Sam Acho, SOLB: same as Beal, Great effort guy with superior character...who is not a very prolific or natural pass rusher.

Martez Wilson, SOLB: now here's a curious unknown at the SOLB position...one that he looks far better suited for SOLB than ILB. He's a gifted athlete who has the size, speed and quickness to be a good pass rusher---but he played inside where he reminded me a lot of Karlos Dansby---a chaser, arm-tackler type who does not seem to relish in the physcial aspects of the game. I thought Dansby was a good edge rusher...I wonder if Wilson could be.

Dontay Moch, WOLB/SS: Dontay Mock would be an intriguingly good fit in Ray Horton's defense...as a SS and spot WOLB. Horton plays the SS up near the box and likes to blitz the SS 35% of the time the way Dick LeBeau did. Moch, is a great straight line blitzer and he's as fast as Von Miller...but not quite as big.

Cardinal Tough? Moch is a great reason to add a couple of extra picks because he would be quite a versatile weapon for Horton to use going forward. I think he will go in the 3rd round, where the Cardinals may be very tempted to call his name at #69.

Cliff Matthews, SOLB: he strikes me as one of those classic under the radar draft picks who might turn out to be a very good and productive pro. He's big, strong and aggressive, but his production level did not match his talent at South Carolina.

Mark Herzlich, SOLB: the opposite can be said of Herzlich, who made the most of his opportunities at Boston College. Having watched every one of his games---I am in awe of this kid---not just for his extraordinary character---but for what he accomplishes between the lines. When he was ACC Defensive Player of the Year as a junior, he made plays that you can only dream of...like rushing the passer, stopping on a dime, jumping in the air on the pass, catching it cleanly at the top of the jump (from direct range) and taking it to the house. Like this year---while playing in a bulky hand cast, making two unbelievable game sealing interceptions during BC's reamarkable 5 game winning streak to finish the season 7-5 after starting 2-5.
This kid has the "it' factor...he is a Johnny-on-the-spot deluxe...he sniffs out plays like a face painted Sherlock Holmes. May be the smartest, most instinctive defensive player in Boston College history.

Cardinal Tough? It would be a dream come true for me if Herzlich is drafted by the Cardinals. He would bring a Mike Vrable versatility and smarts to the defense...can play outside or inside and be a red zone TE. If he is there in the 4th round, I hope the Cardinals take him. And---get this---if he returns competely to form---which I believe he will---he will be a tremendous steal.

Ricky Elmore and Bruce Miller: I like them both as late round picks. As I said, when I was studying Brooks Reed, Elmore was making more plays and was often beating Reed to the QB for hurries and hits. He's a little stiff, but has a very good motor. Miller is havoc-wreaker off the edge---and little out of control at times, but man he gets after it.

Cameron Jordan, SOLB/34DE/45DE: if you read Kent Somers' draft slideshow today, he made a very intriguing proposal as to why Cameron Jordan may be in play for the Cardinals' first round pick. Somers thinks that Jordan could shed a little weight and possibly convert to OLB...while still being able to be a rush 45DE. Jordan is gifted athletically and is extremely versatile...and explosive...could not be blocked at the Senior Bowl. I am going to watch more tape of him. In the interim, what do you think about Cameron Jordan as the Cardinals' pick? There have been rumors that the Cardinals are looking very intensively at DE types...could Jordan be the ace up their sleeve? Plus---he's a Phoenix kid---his father Steve Jordan was a great TE for the Vikings, and if John Lott is able to trim him down into the 268-270 range, you just know that Whiz would create a situational red zone TE role for him....you know our version of Air Jordan!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the other prospects as well. Thanks for hanging in here. Hope you enjoyed the ride.:newcards:

Last edited:

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've read that Jerry Jones is enamored with PP7. We could trade back with the cowboys and take Cam Jordan at 9. He could be the most under rated player in the draft.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Von Miller, WOLB:Cardinal Tough? Iffy---love the speed, but wonder if he's a fit in the system.
Agree. I love some of his qualities and am petrified of others.

Robert Quinn, WOLB: Cardinal Tough? Not at #5. He does not warrant a #5 grade, imo, and won't be an immediate starter.
Agree. But, I would reach and take him if I had to.
Aldon Smith, WOLB/SOLB/34 DE: I think he best fits as a weak side five tech 34 DE. Cardinal Tough? Not at #5.
Don't agree with the 34 end assessment but do agree that he is not a top 5 pick.

Ryan Kerrigan, SOLB: Cardinal Tough? Yes. He brings the kind of toughness this defense and this team needs. Ideally it would be great to move down a little to add another pick or two and still be able to take him, because he's projected to go in the teens. Rumor now has it that the Houston Texans want to move up to the top five...how about a trade with them for their #11, #73 and #105 picks?

Would I still pick Kerrigan at #5 if we were unable to move down: Yes. Without one iota of hesitation.
One thing I've noticed about you Mitch is that once you have a man-crush on a player you will say anything to make them appear as beautiful as you see them. That being said I believe you over rank this kid a bit. However, I agree that out of many players in this draft, he is worth taking a risk on. I like the trade idea.

Akeem Ayers, SOLB: Cardinal Tough? At #38, I would hop all over him...but he will go late first or very early second.
As many draft pundits have suggested I would consider playing him inside as well in a Dansby sort of role.

Bruce Carter, SOLB: explosive player, who to me is a better fit at SAM (SILB). Cardinal Tough? Because of his reconstructive ACL surgery, he may be the O'Brien Schofield of this year's draft and would be a great pick in round three or four, especially if the Cardinals trade down to add picks.
Agree.

Brooks Reed, WOLB. Strictly a WOLB. Cardinal Tough? At #38---if he's there---I would consider taking him, but I am not so sure he would be a good fit for our defense.
I don't agree that he is strictly a weak-side guy. And I don't like when players rise very fast out of nowhere and are so heavily compared to another player. It's almost like their stock rises based on another players (Clay Matthews) accomplishments. I like him but am scared of the pick.

Justin Houston, SOLB: I maintain that Houston has the most explosive first step off the edge of any OLB/DE on the draft.Cardinal Tough? At #38, I would rush his name to the podium. But, pass rushers like him don't usually slide to #38. He's one of the more raw ones, so who knows?
This is another guy you over rate due to your man-crush tendencies. The explosive first step being a real source of contention you and many draft experts would have. However, just as in the case of Kerrigan, I am with you on the fact that Houston is a guy I would love to have and may even overdraft.

Jabaal Sheard, SOLB: He's a great bull rusher and closer on the QB. Has excellent lower and upper body strength. Will be able to rush from 5 or 4 man lines. May not be as flexible on the edge as you'd want---but neither is LaMarr Woodley. Cardinal Tough? He's the player I will be hoping for more than any other at #38 if we do not draft a pass rusher in the first round.
Thoroughly agree. I love this kid. He seems to be a real team player and workhorse who loves football.

Jeremy Beal, SOLB:
I like this kids attitude but he may never amount to much due to his limited athletic ability. Is that fixable with work? I don't know.

Sam Acho, SOLB: same as Beal, Great effort guy with superior character...who is not a very prolific or natural pass rusher.
Similar to Beal in that he has a great football attitude and is limited physically but he is better in regards to the latter and therefore has a better shot. Would love him as a 3rd round pick.

Martez Wilson, SOLB:
He scares the poo out of me. So stiff in his movement and not very instinctual. A real boom or bust kid.

Dontay Moch, WOLB/SS:
Worth taking a risk on but later in the draft.

Cliff Matthews, SOLB: he strikes me as one of those classic under the radar draft picks who might turn out to be a very good and productive pro. He's big, strong and aggressive, but his production level did not match his talent at South Carolina.
Totally agree. I have been touting this kid and mocking him to the Cards for a while now.

Mark Herzlich, SOLB: Cardinal Tough? It would be a dream come true for me if Herzlich is drafted by the Cardinals. He would bring a Mike Vrable versatility and smarts to the defense...can play outside or inside and be a red zone TE. If he is there in the 4th round, I hope the Cardinals take him. And---get this---if he returns competely to form---which I believe he will---he will be a tremendous steal.
I love this kid too. His character would due wonders for this soulless bunch of quitters.

Ricky Elmore and Bruce Miller: I like them both as late round picks.
True.

Cameron Jordan, SOLB/34DE/45DE: if you read Kent Somers' draft slideshow today, he made a very intriguing proposal as to why Cameron Jordan may be in play for the Cardinals' first round pick. Somers thinks that Jordan could shed a little weight and possibly convert to OLB...while still being able to be a rush 45DE. Jordan is gifted athletically and is extremely versatile...and explosive...could not be blocked at the Senior Bowl. I am going to watch more tape of him. In the interim, what do you think about Cameron Jordan as the Cardinals' pick? There have been rumors that the Cardinals are looking very intensively at DE types...could Jordan be the ace up their sleeve? Plus---he's a Phoenix kid---his father Steve Jordan was a great TE for the Vikings, and if John Lott is able to trim him down into the 268-270 range, you just know that Whiz would create a situational red zone TE role for him....you know our version of Air Jordan!
It's weird that you mention this seeing as I have thought I was close to alone in thinking of this kid as a possible 34 OLB/43 DE hybrid player. I have the same thoughts about D. Bowers as well but am not as excited about him.

If the scouts have done their due diligence and believe Jordan is capable of playing that role I would be VERY happy. He seems like a can't miss guy. He would have the size and speed. A real monster...my favorite first round defensive pick for the Cards...but only if he can truly play that hybrid role. Uh-Oh, am I developing my own Mitch-like man-crush?:D

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I've read that Jerry Jones is enamored with PP7. We could trade back with the cowboys and take Cam Jordan at 9. He could be the most under rated player in the draft.

He's a local product from Chandler. I'm hearing that the Cardinals think very highly of him. He'd be in the B. Berry role. Very effective in the rush set. Him and Dockett side by side on the right side would be pretty awsome.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Ricky Elmore and Bruce Miller: I like them both as late round picks. As I said, when I was studying Brooks Reed, Elmore was making more plays and was often beating Reed to the QB for hurries and hits. He's a little stiff, but has a very good motor. Miller is havoc-wreaker off the edge---and little out of control at times, but man he gets after it.

Like them both a lot, around the 5th. X-tra picks would look good here. Very productive team leaders.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

While watching Texas games last season I'd tell my kids if they wanted to keep up with where the ball was when Texas was on Defense to just follow Acho. He'd find it. NINE fumble recoveries last two years at UT and 31 TFL. That's having a nose for the football.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch, while I certainly appreciate and admire the dedication you put into these posts, I have a feeling you are going to be disappointed with the level of success that Ryan Kerrigan will have in the NFL. Great effort guy, great weight room/controlled athletic movement numbers that can be coached in the offseason. I love the guys motor and effort, but you make him sound like a first ballot hall of famer.

The "one year wonder" tag with Quinn just doesn't make a ton of sense. Quinn is called a one year wonder because he played and started a number of games as a true freshman only 6 months removed from major surgery to remove a brain tumor. He had a monster sophomore year and had some great games against good tackles. You must have watched a different game against Anthony Castanzo than most did. All Quinn did was force a fumble, record a sack, broke up a pass, and had 3 tackles in a dominating 31-13 win over Boston College. In that game BC had 198 yards of total offense.