Cardinal History

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

that kick and everything leading up to it was really something. First, we let Craig Whelihan throw a 30 yard TD on 4TH AND 20 with like 20 seconds left to tie the game. Then Eric Metcalf makes the ONLY play he did all season with a huge run back of the kickoff back to around the 42 yard line. Jake comes in and hits Frank Sanders for 7 and comes running off the field pointing his finger at Jacke like “This is on you. Do it!” Then Jacke comes out, after game winning FGs in the last two games for the trifecta from 52 yards. And then there’s the kick that is initially going wide and then, it just drifts back, as if the kick was kissed by God, just through the uprights. In the CBS broadcast, you can hear the announcer laughing like “whooaa-ho-ho... it’s a hook!” noticing the kick just seemingly change direction out of nowhere to squeak inside the upright. It’s here at the 3:38 mark.

just a ridiculous sequence of events. I remember me, Ouchie and brother not Ouchie walking through the SDS hall chanting WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! Before bumrushing the field to celebrate with the rest of the Cardinals maniacs.

glorious day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I remember me, Ouchie and brother not Ouchie walking through the SDS hall chanting WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! Before bumrushing the field to celebrate with the rest of the Cardinals maniacs. glorious day.

Good stuff!

That play sums up what its like to be a Cardinal fan. What NFL fans storm the field after making the playoffs?

Well, it had been 10 years since the Cardinals moved to the desert (16 years total) with no playoffs and it would be another 10 years after this game before we would get there again (2008).

All of those years are what makes this year so sweet for me. I see us building a strong foundation with a true franchise QB.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
that kick and everything leading up to it was really something. First, we let Craig Whelihan throw a 30 yard TD on 4TH AND 20 with like 20 seconds left to tie the game. Then Eric Metcalf makes the ONLY play he did all season with a huge run back of the kickoff back to around the 42 yard line. Jake comes in and hits Frank Sanders for 7 and comes running off the field pointing his finger at Jacke like “This is on you. Do it!” Then Jacke comes out, after game winning FGs in the last two games for the trifecta from 52 yards. And then there’s the kick that is initially going wide and then, it just drifts back, as if the kick was kissed by God, just through the uprights.
glorious day.

that game was so Cardinal-esque

Cards desperately needed a win. SD was going nowhere and playing a journeyman QB. SD turned the ball over 5 times (!!!) Kwame Lassiter had 4 ints by himself

Jacke had already missed from 42 and 45 yards

and yet, he had the longest one

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was there with my son Justin. This was the 1st time I had seen the Cardinals win live. Previous to this game, I had probably seen them lose to the Skins like 12 times. Of course, that was back when the Skins were a legit threat to win it all every year. If you watched the video, we did our BEST to lose this game all day long. In fact, we were down 14 points throughout the game, which is why Boomer threw for 527 yards. I sat numb in the stands after the game & my son taunted Skins fans, which is so Justin.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Charlie Johnson was a very good Cardinal QB. I would rank him behind only Warner, Hart, and Lomax. Yes, he was better than Jake the Snake. He engineered some seasons, that in today’s NFL, would equate to playoff appearances:

1963 (9-5)
1964 (9-3-2)
1966 (8-5-1)
1968 (9-4-1)

The 66 season was so frustrating & I remember it well. Cardinals started the season 7-1-1 & was one of the best teams in the NFL. Johnson broke his leg beating the Giants in their 7th win & was out for the season. He was replaced by Terry Nofsinger, who was probably the worst QB under center in Cardinal history. We went 1-4 the rest of the way, with our only win being a 6-3 snoozer against the lowly Steelers.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Charlie Johnson was a very good Cardinal QB. I would rank him behind only Warner, Hart, and Lomax. Yes, he was better than Jake the Snake. He engineered some seasons, that in today’s NFL, would equate to playoff appearances:

1963 (9-5)
1964 (9-3-2)
1966 (8-5-1)
1968 (9-4-1)

The 66 season was so frustrating & I remember it well. Cardinals started the season 7-1-1 & was one of the best teams in the NFL. Johnson broke his leg beating the Giants in their 7th win & was out for the season. He was replaced by Terry Nofsinger, who was probably the worst QB under center in Cardinal history. We went 1-4 the rest of the way, with our only win being a 6-3 snoozer against the lowly Steelers.
Many thanks for the context PA! I’m starting to wonder how snake bit this franchise is regarding backup QBs: Nofsinger, Streveler, Ryan Lindley, Drew Stanton, Cliff Stoudt, Gary Hogeboom. Yikes....

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1963 (9-5)
1964 (9-3-2)
1966 (8-5-1)
1968 (9-4-1)

Even wose than Rosen?

Too soon?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think they were more likely to move to San Antonio than Baltimore when things were going down
A very sad day in Cardinal history for me. Had they moved to Baltimore, like they should have, things may have been very different.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA