Cap status after PP signing (regarding Palmer)

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What does our cap situation look like now after the PP extension? The reason I ask has to do with Carson Palmer. I am surprised that there hasn't been much talk about extending Carson. He is in the last year of his deal, right? I would think it would be proactive to think about this prior to this season. Based on last year, he is good enough for us to win with the rest of the talent we have.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't extend Palmer yet. If he continues to be a turnover machine then I might consider going a different direction next year.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swore the team had an option for a 3rd year???

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't. His INTs were unacceptably high last year. Let's see how this season at least starts off.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why extend him when you have Logan THomas in the wings? :D

OP
OP
B

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just think Carson at least brings some veteran consistency to the QB position. As much as I would love Logan Thomas to be the long term answer, I am not sure. Either way, I do not think our QB of the future will not be ready in the next year or two. If Palmer goes out and has a great year, it will cost us more in the long run.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I will be the first to admit that I wanted Palmer out of there at he beginning of the season last year when he was a INT machine. He obviously settled down the 2nd half of the season and got comfortable with the system. IMO, I think he will have a great year with all the weapons he has on offense and a slight upgrade to the offensive line (hopefully). Thomas in the background is nice to have as well though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Cards are projected to be $9.8M over the 2015 salary cap heading into the 2015 season. When Carson Palmer's contract voids following the Super Bowl, they'll get $10M in cap space back, which would put them right at the cap.

Which means that Larry Fitzgerald will again be holding the team hostage going into another offseason. This'll be the second consecutive offseason where the Cards will be forced to deal with Fitzgerald's contract, and the fifth or sixth in Fitz's career. The Cards probably hold more leverage in the deal since Fitzgerald probably won't be able to get the $16M guaranteed that Fitzgerald is scheduled to make from anyone else, but the Cards have given up leverage before without getting much in return.

It'd be really, really difficult to imagine Carson Palmer coming back to the Cards in 2015 without substantially reducing Fitzgerald's salary while keeping him on the roster. Cutting Fitzgerald outright would create $14M+ in dead money while giving the Cards cap relief of $9.2M.

A successful season by Palmer would probably mean a deal in the range of three years, $45M with $20M guaranteed.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Cards are projected to be $9.8M over the 2015 salary cap heading into the 2015 season. When Carson Palmer's contract voids following the Super Bowl, they'll get $10M in cap space back, which would put them right at the cap.

Which means that Larry Fitzgerald will again be holding the team hostage going into another offseason. This'll be the second consecutive offseason where the Cards will be forced to deal with Fitzgerald's contract, and the fifth or sixth in Fitz's career. The Cards probably hold more leverage in the deal since Fitzgerald probably won't be able to get the $16M guaranteed that Fitzgerald is scheduled to make from anyone else, but the Cards have given up leverage before without getting much in return.

It'd be really, really difficult to imagine Carson Palmer coming back to the Cards in 2015 without substantially reducing Fitzgerald's salary while keeping him on the roster. Cutting Fitzgerald outright would create $14M+ in dead money while giving the Cards cap relief of $9.2M.

A successful season by Palmer would probably mean a deal in the range of three years, $45M with $20M guaranteed.
Fitz has sure owned us and soon someone has to pay the piper!

OP
OP
B

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love Fitz and his is the only jersey I have ever owned but I have already braced myself for this being his last season. He has painted us in a corner with his contract. Fitz has got his money and taken the organization for all he could (due to our idiot previous FO regime). Next year we will see how "team" orientated and selfless Fitz really is. I keep telling my wife that restructuring his deal does not mean much. Taking a pay cut would show that he cares more about winning than the money.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Dockett (6.8m savings if cut), Ginn (2.5m if cut) Shaughnessy (2m) Stanton (3.2m) seem like likely candidates for cap casualties outside of Fitz. If the young WRs carry their impressive play over into the regular season Ginn becomes expendable. As a backup, Stanton is expendable at that number the moment Palmer agrees, especially if we're happy with Thomas' progression.

I could see an extension for Dockett instead as a possibility. Campbell is also an extension candidate (he has a 9m base salary if 2015).

Powers would save us 4.25m to cut, but with Cro likely gone I can't see us doing that. An extension becomes a possibility here as well (or we'll offer Cro the money Powers is getting and cut Powers if he accepts.)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Dockett (6.8m savings if cut), Ginn (2.5m if cut) Shaughnessy (2m) Stanton (3.2m) seem like likely candidates for cap casualties outside of Fitz. If the young WRs carry their impressive play over into the regular season Ginn becomes expendable. As a backup, Stanton is expendable at that number the moment Palmer agrees, especially if we're happy with Thomas' progression.

I could see an extension for Dockett instead as a possibility. Campbell is also an extension candidate (he has a 9m base salary if 2015).

Powers would save us 4.25m to cut, but with Cro likely gone I can't see us doing that. An extension becomes a possibility here as well (or we'll offer Cro the money Powers is getting and cut Powers if he accepts.)

Dockett and Stanton for sure. 4+M for Powers is also pushing it. Depending on how Bucannon and Jefferson progress Badger will see some more time at cb. Bethel too.

OP
OP
B

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wanted to re-hash this tread now that I saw an article on Rotoworld today about a possible extension for Carson Palmer in the "very near future".
They speculated a 3-4 year deal worth around $15/per. I wonder how much we could have saved if we started these negotiations before the season stated, as I had proposed.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Palmer is not going anywhere. He, Arians, Keim, and Michael Bidwill are all on the same page with where this franchise is going right now, and they will ALL do whatever is necessary to make it happen. The way I see it is that Fitz will have to find a way to fit himself into the equation if he wants to stay here and be a part of what is happening here in the desert.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson