Can you really get 2 #1 piks for the #6 pick

Reaction score
Several posters have put up proposed trades of our #6 pick for 2 #1s from other teams. I can't remember if this is feasable from a historic standpoint in prior drafts. Maybe it is I really don't know, but as I seem to recall trading a #6 usually got a team the other teams #1 and maybe a #2 or #3? Is it really feasable that we could get 2 1st round picks for our #6 pick?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
1998 Draft

Miami traded its first-round choice (No. 19) to Green Bay for the Packers' first- (No. 29) and second-round (No. 60) choices. Green Bay selected Vonnie Holliday, de, North Carolina. Miami selected John Avery, rb, Mississippi and traded No. 60 to Detroit.

Tampa Bay traded its first-round choice (No. 19) to Oakland for two of the Raiders' second-round choices (No. 34 and No. 59). Oakland selected Mo Collins, ot, Florida. Tampa Bay selected Jacquez Green, wr, Florida and traded No. 59 to San Diego.

1999 Draft

The Bears traded their first-round pick (7th) to Washington for a first (12), third (71), fourth (106) and fifth-round pick (143) in this year's draft and a third-round selection in 2000.

The Seahawks traded their first-round pick (17th) to the Patriots for a first (20), third (82) and sixth-round pick (191) in this year's draft.

2002 Draft

Tennessee traded its first-round (No. 14) choice to the New York Giants for the Giants first- (No. 15) and fourth-round (No. 110) choices. New York selected Jeremy Shockey, te, Miami. Tennessee selected Albert Haynesworth, dt, Tennessee and Mike Echols, db, Wisconsin.

Seattle traded its first- (No. 20) and fifth-round (No. 156) choices to Green Bay for the Packers first- (No. 2 and second-round (No. 60) choices. Green Bay selected Javon Walker, wr, Florida State and Aaron Kampman, de, Iowa. Seattle selected Jerramy Stevens, te, Washington and Anton Palepoi, de, UNLV.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I say is Suggs is not there at 6 we trade for 2 1st. I think that Graves as even said the this is what they will do.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The ONLY way I see us getting 2 1st round picks for our #6 is if Oakland were to trade us their 2 picks(the last 2 in round 1)...and I wouldn't do that if I was the Cardinals.

I could possibly see us picking up like NO's 2 #1's for our #6 and a swap of our second round picks or something like that...but #6 is just not worth that much in this draft the talent available between those spots is not a huge difference.

Houston may be able to get 2 #1's from someone but they are drafting #3 overall.

Mrospi

Reaction score
I think it's possible for the New Orleans or Raiders choices.... I don't think New England would give the 14 & 19...... .... If we can't get 2 1st rounders..... then we should get a 1st,2nd, and a 3rd or 4th atleast..... just depends who is left on the board at #6 and if someone wants to move up bad enough

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The posters who were saying that we could get 2 #1s for ours were talking like"hey no problem". I didn't think that sounded Quite right to me.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it would be nice to get 2 1st rounders but I do think it is unlikely. Or maybe it is a 1st this year and a 1st next year. However, you just never know if somebody wants a player bad enough.

If the player the Cards really want is gone and the players left don't really tickle their fancy then I would love to see them trade out of the spot...if there is a good deal to be had.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zeno
I could possibly see us picking up like NO's 2 #1's for our #6 and a swap of our second round picks or something like that...but #6 is just not worth that much in this draft the talent available between those spots is not a huge difference.

:thumbup:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think everyone is overvaluing(is that a word?) the 6th pick overall. This is a fairly deep draft once you get out of the top 4 the talent level is relatively equal through #20 or so.

We'd have to give up a player or an additional pick(or swap of picks) to get New Orleans 2 #1 choices. They won't just hand them over to the Cardinals because it really would not benefit their team.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Cardinals traded thier #1(2nd overall) pick to san diego for thier #1(3rd overall) + #1 next year, plus a player, plus some other stuff and that was to move down 1 spot. If a player is there that another team wants and doesnt think will drop any further then you then you have a shot for a trade for 2 1st rounders. So question becomes is there a player that either the Jets or the Saints really want at #6 that we would take if we didnt trade to one of those 2 teams. I.E. would we take Andre Johnson the WR at #6 if suggs is gone, and do the Jets really really want him??

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
right, totally depends on the year and the players still available. wouldn't be able to swing the trade now, but once we're on the clock it may become possible to get a two-for-one.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think everyone is overvaluing(is that a word?) the 6th pick overall. This is a fairly deep draft once you get out of the top 4 the talent level is relatively equal through #20 or so.
The #6 pick may or may not be valuable depending on who's available and how badly one team wants him.

For example, suppose Leftwich or Palmer dropped to #6 and Al Davis decided he absolutely had to have him.

Or - more realistically - suppose Jim Haslet decided that he was one shutdown CB away from a championship and was scared to death both Newman and Trufant would be gone by the 8th or 9th pick.

In rare cases, you have to throw common sense out the window, and all it takes is for one GM to feel he has to make that move. Does anyone think that Ditka's decision to throw all those players the Skins in order to draft Ricky Williams was a smart thing to do? It defied all logic, yet he did it anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison