Can we stick a fork in Chandler Jones?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the postgame interview Budda, wearing what looks like a refs shirt, was asked about the run defense. He didn't name anybody but he said we all have to do our jobs and trust each other, trying to do something other than your job is leading to guys breaking big plays. I have to think he's talking about Chandler Jones giving up the edge so often?

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Seems odd he would start the season with a 5 sack game then fall off the map. Unless he has an unreported injury.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth I feel good about saying we should have traded Chandler in the offseason. Some tried to throw that back at me after game 1.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chandler reminds me of Dwight Freeney when he got into his 30s. He was just not an option vs the run and mainly a pass rush option. That limited his snaps and you had to scheme around it when you could.

I guess I am not worried too much about Jones at this point. He can still rush the passer so he does have value. He is a liability vs the run which is ok but hurts his value. Is he a 20 mil player right now? No and I was obviously wrong about that. Is he a 14 mil per year player ala Robert Quinn or a 12.5 mil player like JPP? I think that range is arguable but JPP is a FA. And if he doesn't like that, he can test the open market which will include Von, Mercilus, Ingram, and JPP as the over 31 crowd. We will have options.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Seems odd he would start the season with a 5 sack game then fall off the map. Unless he has an unreported injury.
The tackle he was facing was coming off injury and very obviously wasn’t ready for live fire. The guy who replaced was a scrub. It was more about the tackle than chandler.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not real
Not really that’s just how bad Lewan was….

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler reminds me of Dwight Freeney when he got into his 30s. He was just not an option vs the run and mainly a pass rush option. That limited his snaps and you had to scheme around it when you could.

I guess I am not worried too much about Jones at this point. He can still rush the passer so he does have value. He is a liability vs the run which is ok but hurts his value. Is he a 20 mil player right now? No and I was obviously wrong about that. Is he a 14 mil per year player ala Robert Quinn or a 12.5 mil player like JPP? I think that range is arguable but JPP is a FA. And if he doesn't like that, he can test the open market which will include Von, Mercilus, Ingram, and JPP as the over 31 crowd. We will have options.
“He can still rush the passer”

Well yea but not with any sustained level of success. Outside of one Outlier game against a busted up tackle. His production shows in his last 14 games that he just isn’t very good at getting to the QB much anymore.

That play that britt posted was beyond pathetic and shows a complete lack of effort on his part.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I like Chandler Jones. If this is it so be it. He was a good Cardinal..all things come to an end.
Yes, very much agree. Guy has had a great career in Cardinal red. Now, after this season is over it is time to move on. Luckily the cardinals didnt panic and resign him. Worked out perfectly

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... would be great to have a young stud pass rusher on the team who’s not only waiting in the wings, but could already produce and be the sack master/TFL dynamo for the future on this team...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Man... would be great to have a young stud pass rusher on the team who could already produce and be the sack master/TFL dynamo for the future on this team...
agree...did you see that Reddick kid that carolina has?? we could use a dude like that!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree...did you see that Reddick kid that carolina has?? we could use a dude like that!

It just made so little sense, ESPECIALLY since there wasn’t even an intention to talk contract extension with CJ.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devon Kennard has an 81.2 PFF grade and is lucky to get 15 snaps a game

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
“He can still rush the passer”

Well yea but not with any sustained level of success. Outside of one Outlier game against a busted up tackle. His production shows in his last 14 games that he just isn’t very good at getting to the QB much anymore.

That play that britt posted was beyond pathetic and shows a complete lack of effort on his part.
Per Pro Football reference his rate of pressures (hurries+knockdowns+sacks) is tied with DeForest Buckner, Shaq Barrett, Brian Burns, and Clowney at 20 for the season. He has one less than Danielle Hunter who he has played one more game than. He is tied for 18th in the NFL at 31.

Reddick has 22 in 10 games. So Chandler Jones has two less pressures than Reddick despite having played 2 less games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Pro Football reference his rate of pressures (hurries+knockdowns+sacks) is tied with DeForest Buckner, Shaq Barrett, Brian Burns, and Clowney at 20 for the season. He has one less than Danielle Hunter who he has played one more game than. He is tied for 18th in the NFL at 31.

Reddick has 22 in 10 games. So Chandler Jones has two less pressures than Reddick despite having played 2 less games.

while Reddick also has 3.5 more sacks and 5 more TFL and we could have had both.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I’m off the re-sign Chandler movement now, but I make this proclamation.

Chandler Jones will be our MVP through the playoffs and Superbowl. He is saving himself for the postseason because he knows we are getting in. Once the postseason starts, he will play out of his mind for fame, glory, and $$$$$. I predict 12 sacks and a tipped pass deflection interception for a touchdown this postseason.

So let it be written, so let it be done!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I’m off the re-sign Chandler movement now, but I make this proclamation.

Chandler Jones will be our MVP through the playoffs and Superbowl. He is saving himself for the postseason because he knows we are getting in. Once the postseason starts, he will play out of his mind for fame, glory, and $$$$$. I predict 12 sacks and a tipped pass deflection interception for a touchdown this postseason.

So let it be written, so let it be done!

I had the exact same thought the last couple of days. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see CJ become a holy terror during the playoffs.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Can we not just yet even though his recent performance entails he might be deserving... if you want to have a shot at a Superbowl, lay off the fork and root for him :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson