Can we stick a fork in Chandler Jones?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Panthers have one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Their starting left tackle was out and Dennis Daley who is their backup Guard was playing LT. He has a season pass blocking grade of 38.7.

Chandler had 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 2 tackles and 1 QB hit. He got totally handled by a nobody and has done nothing outside of game 1.

Not only has he been useless as a pass rusher unless playing guys who aren't healthy but his run defense has been awful. Here's CMC from last night. Nothing to our left, all yards down the throat of Zach Allen or Chandler.

Can we except that he's done and we are watching the sad end to a once glorious career? His time here should be over. I'd argue he should be playing less now as he's a liability.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah his run defense yesterday was terrible. That one TD run by Hubbard it was like he intentionally ran into the block.

I was hoping he was going to get better the further off of Covid he got but yesterday was terrible

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah his run defense yesterday was terrible. That one TD run by Hubbard it was like he intentionally ran into the block.

I was hoping he was going to get better the further off of Covid he got but yesterday was terrible
And he was terrible before Covid outside of one game and dating back to four games last season…. I don’t think his current level of play is something we can call an anomaly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's time Kennard got more time there. Jones is such a huge liability at the moment.

Look at this play. This is Hubbard easy walk in TD to really kill the game.

Chandler has contain on that side and a crystal clear view of the ball in the QB's hands. You can clearly see Hubbard going for the hand off so CJ should already be crashing down to tackle Hubbard.

Here is is staring down the mesh point. He's already in a bad position here as he was hesitant off the line. But still looking at this he can clearly see the hand off and he just needs to take a couple of steps outside and close the angle. He should have this right? This is bread and butter stuff. He's unblocked, clear view, it's obvious what is happening.

Here he is half a second later tackling DJ Moore who never went anywhere near the QB.

If a rookie did this I'd say the guy wasn't made for the NFL. It's so bad I'm going to go make a video for it as I don't think you can appreciate how bad it is from the images.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Haha I just posted that play it was so terrible.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When the season comes to a close, we can have this conversation. For now, we can only hope he doesn't forget to take his Geritol every day. Can't count on VJ to ever take playing time away from a veteran, so hoping CJ conjures up something down the stretch.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
This season he's been the equivalent of the music industry's 'one-hit wonder'. Great in the Tennessee game and Mr. Invisible ever since.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's time Kennard got more time there. Jones is such a huge liability at the moment.

Chandler has contain on that side and a crystal clear view of the ball in the QB's hands. You can clearly see Hubbard going for the hand off so CJ should already be crashing down to tackle Hubbard.

Here is is staring down the mesh point. He's already in a bad position here as he was hesitant off the line. But still looking at this he can clearly see the hand off and he just needs to take a couple of steps outside and close the angle. He should have this right? This is bread and butter stuff. He's unblocked, clear view, it's obvious what is happening.

Here he is half a second later tackling DJ Moore who never went anywhere near the QB.

If a rookie did this I'd say the guy wasn't made for the NFL. It's so bad I'm going to go make a video for it as I don't think you can appreciate how bad it is from the images.

Yep it was like he ran into Moore on purpose. Really weird.

Kennard definitely plays the run better. I also wonder why we had Chandler in coverage so much there's at least 2 plays where he's actually covering a Wr 1 on 1 it's crazy stupid. On the play above I almost wondered if he did that on purpose because he's mad Vance has him in coverage so much? Like you want me to cover Wr's fine, I'm going to tackle the Wr on this run play to show you how smart that is.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Awful. Brutal.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ve been saying this for the past few weeks, CJ has been missing outside of that first game. It’s like he got all those sacks in game 1 and was like “yeah , I think that’s good for the year.”

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I ain’t, I’m going to fan for him like a turbo till he is not a cardinal, and beyond. Poopy - I mean everybody bounced off panthers and we’re carried many yards trying to strip the ball. Nice when it works, but we were on the dark side this game. Reddick really set the tone, cam juiced it, Walker did some things really well! Our bend don’t break, broke, wash it off and get your head in the next game.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep it was like he ran into Moore on purpose. Really weird.

Kennard definitely plays the run better. I also wonder why we had Chandler in coverage so much there's at least 2 plays where he's actually covering a Wr 1 on 1 it's crazy stupid. On the play above I almost wondered if he did that on purpose because he's mad Vance has him in coverage so much? Like you want me to cover Wr's fine, I'm going to tackle the Wr on this run play to show you how smart that is.

I don't know why you would have CJ in there. He's obviously been awful vs the run and it's an obvious running down. As bad as Chandler was on that play (I still don't understand what he is doing) you have to put some of it on Vance for having him in there.

Last edited:

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Just one thing to keep in mind, and that is not to make an excuse for his performance this year, especially before getting Covid, but I still thought it was interesting. There was a study on professional soccer players in the first German and Italian League that got Covid. On average their passing performance decreased by 5-7%. That might not sound like a lot at first glance, but in professional sports that's huge. It was also mentioned that it took many players up to 6 months to get back to their previous performance level. I mean just look at Green yesterday, there is no way he was close to 100%.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just one thing to keep in mind, and that is not to make an excuse for his performance this year, especially before getting Covid, but I still thought it was interesting. There was a study on professional soccer players in the first German and Italian League that got Covid. On average their passing performance decreased by 5-7%. That might not sound like a lot at first glance, but in professional sports that's huge. It was also mentioned that it took many players up to 6 months to get back to their previous performance level. I mean just look at Green yesterday, there is no way he was close to 100%.

It might be an excuse if he wasn't equally as poor before Covid.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Panthers have one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Their starting left tackle was out and Dennis Daley who is their backup Guard was playing LT. He has a season pass blocking grade of 38.7.

Chandler had 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 2 tackles and 1 QB hit. He got totally handled by a nobody and has done nothing outside of game 1.

Not only has he been useless as a pass rusher unless playing guys who aren't healthy but his run defense has been awful. Here's CMC from last night. Nothing to our left, all yards down the throat of Zach Allen or Chandler.

Can we except that he's done and we are watching the sad end to a once glorious career? His time here should be over. I'd argue he should be playing less now as he's a liability.

I have been talking to my friends lately that I am all up to either bench Chandler Jones or at least take him out on the obvious rushing downs. Jones is never known as a good run defender, but his run defense has been atrocious this season. His effort is beyond pathetic, which made me wonder if he is done or he is just preserving himself for the next contract. As we all know that run defense relies more on the heart than technique. Either way, he is gone after the season. I don't see him a cardinal next season, especially with his piss-poor effort on the field.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don;t know why you would have CJ in there. He's obviously been awful vs the run and it's an obvious running down. As bad as Chandler was on that play (I still don;t understand what he is doing) you have to put some of it on Vance for having him in there.
Indeed, IMO, VJ has too much confidence and patience with the vets, and so little tolerance for the rooks. Sometimes I wish they are reversed. I know the exact reason. Maybe there is respect-related stuff in VJ's system and value. Maybe he felt the vet players deserve better, so should vet coaches (Sean Payton once opened his mouth for this topic on the media that he felt vet coaches being disrespected seeing all these young offense "genius" guys taking head coach jobs over vet coaches).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I posted that elsewhere AJ was listed as ill both Thur and Fri even after he passed Covid tests. My guess is he wasn't even close to 100%. Interesting to see the snap counts for AJ to see if he sat as much as it seemed.

With Chandler I don't know he did have some good pressure at times yesterday but never really got home. He's got to make more impact or you gotta play Kennard more because he plays the run better.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I hope he comes back refreshed and reenergized after the bye. We need him down the stretch. He used to be a savvy productive vet. We need that guy back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope he comes back refreshed and reenergized after the bye. We need him down the stretch. He used to be a savvy productive vet. We need that guy back.

I hope so too because we need more impact. One hope I have is we don't really know what to expect from breakthrough infections for NFL players how fast they will get back. Remember the claim he lost a bunch of weight, he denied it but we don't know how much Covid is impacting guys who came back.

I read where Davante Adams said he was definitely getting winded faster during his first game back for example.

The problem is as others have said, Chandler wasn't lighting it up before Covid save the first game, but definitely hoping the bye week lights a fire under him.

But if it doesn't Vance has to be willing to play Kennard more

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson