Can someone explain to me why...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Arizona and formerly Stanford (now Cal due to Monty) voted for years to not hold the Tournament, claiming that since everybody plays every conference team twice both home and away that the round robin is more than enough to determine a champion. USC and UCLA joined that cause claiming the same reason. In reality it was mostly due to Lute, Monty, Harrick and later Lavin not wanting an additional two or three games as they were always safely in the Tournament and preferred their teams resting.

However, several years ago Fox Sports came to the Pac-10 and threw a bunch of money at them to get TV rights for a new Tournament to be held only in Staples Center (where FSN could keep costs down due to lack of travel) every year. Once USC/UCLA had assurances that the Tournament would never be held outside of LA they switched their vote and seven years later here we are. Not surprisingly six of the eight Tournaments played in the modern era have featured one of the SoCal schools.

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Fox Sports has their own area built into Staples Center, which they received for helping to fund the arena and surrounding projects.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why in the heck does SC and UCLA get the home games for the Pac10 tourney? Why does it not rotate?

When the Pac-10 tournament started in the late 80's, they did rotate the tournament every year. The UofA hosted the 1988 tournament. I went to most of the games that year and it was a lot of fun. Of course the Cats had a huge advantage and won it all. I know UCLA and ASU also hosted the Pac-10 tournament before they discontinued it.

To make it fair they should rotate it every year and have LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle and Phoenix host the tournament.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The UofA hosted the 1988 tournament. I went to most of the games that year and it was a lot of fun. Of course the Cats had a huge advantage and won it all. I know UCLA and ASU also hosted the Pac-10 tournament before they discontinued it.

The Bruins hosted the first one and UofA the next 3 before they "retired" it

EDIT: I'm wrong, I was thinking of the teams that won the tournement. You're right

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with it being in LA at all.