Byrd

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am really interested in seeing how the WR position looks at the start of the 2020 season.

Larry Fitzgerald - Old / Slot WR
Christian Kirk - Young / Slot WR
Andy Isabella - Fastest
Keesean Johnson - Good hands
Damiere Byrd - Best outside WR
Pharoah Cooper - Best returner
Hakeem Butler - Freak athlete

and a great upcoming WR draft class

I feel like Andy Isabella is going to be our new Kevin Minter at WR. Limited player who will play a small number of snaps but hangs around because he was a 2nd round pick.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I am really interested in seeing how the WR position looks at the start of the 2020 season.

Andy Isabella - Fastest

I feel like Andy Isabella is going to be our new Kevin Minter at WR. Limited player who will play a small number of snaps but hangs around because he was a 2nd round pick.

Minter played well for us for a few years. He wasnt as athletic as we prob wanted but a solid football player. Isabella hasnt gotten on the field much.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Andy Isabella - Fastest

Byrd, Cooper and Fitz have to sign a contract, and you have cut Sherfield, so is this what you want to start with?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
By all means we need to upgrade our WR corps but I really feel this is not a major need for us to get more wins next season. I frankly like Byrd and Cooper, with hope for Butler. Isabella I am less confident because of the limited time he sees the field. There is something about him which these coaches are hesitant about and aspects which we do not see in practice. If we can buffer this OL, I have no problem with this current group for next season, and there is something to say for consistency in a offense which relies on quick passes and taken this group can then gel and have another season playing in accord with a QB

OP
OP
P

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By all means we need to upgrade our WR corps but I really feel this is not a major need for us to get more wins next season. I frankly like Byrd and Cooper, with hope for Butler. Isabella I am less confident because of the limited time he sees the field. There is something about him which these coaches are hesitant about and aspects which we do not see in practice. If we can buffer this OL, I have no problem with this current group for next season, and there is something to say for consistency in a offense which relies on quick passes and taken this group can then gel and have another season playing in accord with a QB

If Fitz is back I agree. Have to get the D taken care of.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If Fitz is back I agree. Have to get the D taken care of.

As mentioned by I believe K9, we really do not need a guy like Landry because Fitz fulfills that need but if he does retire (I do not think he will, because though he's a humble guy, he is productive and inching along to those record books), you make inquiries for a guy like him

UK Cardinal

Reaction score
Definitely one of our best receivers right now but that isn't high praise and he's not special.

I think it would be worth keeping him around but how much would you be happy giving up?

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Byrd, Cooper and Isabella are good enough to be the core of the future

Isabella should be used like Edelman...but he's not. Isablella runs with purpose and he aggressively goes after catches. I can not get why he's not in the game plan more.

Either way...WR is the last of the Cardinals needs

O line and D line

Byrd played a great game.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Andy Isabella - Fastest

That group is a C/C- in talent and that might be stretching it.

We definitely need a #1 WR

OP
OP
P

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Isabella should be used like Edelman...but he's not. Isablella runs with purpose and he aggressively goes after catches. I can not get why he's not in the game plan more.

O line and D line

Don't know about Isabella. Does he get open? I am not at the games.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That group is a C/C- in talent and that might be stretching it.

We definitely need a #1 WR
Yep, we need a guy that the defense has to pay some extra attention to. We have a bunch of guys that can occasionally win a 1 on 1 against team's 2-4 cover guys, but we don't have a single one that consistently wreak havoc against a teams top corner. If we can get safeties to start having to worry about one side of the field we can start freeing up guys down the field.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Andy Isabella - Fastest

I have concerns if Byrd and maybe Cooper are back next year.

Either we didn't draft well or some guys haven't developed as well as we hoped. Got a lot riding on Isabella's development.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

O line and D line

If what Feeley said is true saying he should be used like Edelman when he's literally never played that position before is probably why he's not playing much now. They want him to be their Edelman but the nuances of that position mean he's not ready to play. All the sight adjustments, route choices depending on what the defense does etc. Edelman was a former QB so maybe he picked that stuff up quickly. Edelman is Quick not fast, Andy is Fast I don't think we've really seen yet if he's quick. They're similar in size and for whatever reason we thought he could do what Edelman does but so far he has not.

Byrd looked good yesterday but for a small guy with great speed the lack of big plays is pretty striking, he now has 36 catches in his 4 year NFL career, 11.2 YPC and 2 TD's(both in Carolina). The 51 yarder is the 2nd longest catch of his career(had a 58 yarder earlier in the year). Hopefully we see more of that since we can all agree we need more over the top plays.

In hindsight if we'd taken Murphy and then moved up about 12 slots we could have taken AJ Brown instead of Isabella, watched him play most of the game yesterday that kid is going to be a big star.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely one of our best receivers right now but that isn't high praise and he's not special.

I think it would be worth keeping him around but how much would you be happy giving up?
We used him like a #1, but he'd fit into the ideal roster as a solid #2 or #3 - and you need those type receivers on your football team.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know about Isabella. Does he get open? I am not at the games.

He barely gets opportunities when we pass. Yesterday, the few plays he was in was as the jet sweep option on a running play.

There was talk earlier in the season and during camp that he has struggled on route running. That's not good for a WR, because if you are consistently not where the QB expects you to be it will lead to INTs.

He is supposedly working hard on that outside of practice. And, he now has a full offseason. It will be interesting to see where he is at in camp next year. This year was disappointing for him and the team.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
In hindsight if we'd taken Murphy and then moved up about 12 slots we could have taken AJ Brown instead of Isabella, watched him play most of the game yesterday that kid is going to be a big star.

Agreed.

Interesting note...we could have had him with Miami's original 2nd round pick but they moved down and traded to us. DK Metcalf was still there as was Diontae Johnson (seems like a big play guy). I guess the Cards thought highly enough of Isabella to move to end of round 2. Hope they can make that work.

Here are the top rookie WR's so far:

You must be registered for see images attach

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If what Feeley said is true saying he should be used like Edelman when he's literally never played that position before is probably why he's not playing much now. They want him to be their Edelman but the nuances of that position mean he's not ready to play. All the sight adjustments, route choices depending on what the defense does etc. Edelman was a former QB so maybe he picked that stuff up quickly. Edelman is Quick not fast, Andy is Fast I don't think we've really seen yet if he's quick. They're similar in size and for whatever reason we thought he could do what Edelman does but so far he has not.

Byrd looked good yesterday but for a small guy with great speed the lack of big plays is pretty striking, he now has 36 catches in his 4 year NFL career, 11.2 YPC and 2 TD's(both in Carolina). The 51 yarder is the 2nd longest catch of his career(had a 58 yarder earlier in the year). Hopefully we see more of that since we can all agree we need more over the top plays.

If we're doing that game then we could have taken AJ Brown (or Deebo Samuel) instead of Murphy and either Metcalf or McLaurin with our pick for Rosen.

Now we're not even thinking about drafting a WR.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed.

Interesting note...we could have had him with Miami's original 2nd round pick but they moved down and traded to us. DK Metcalf was still there as was Diontae Johnson (seems like a big play guy). I guess the Cards thought highly enough of Isabella to move to end of round 2. Hope they can make that work.

Here are the top rookie WR's so far:

Darius Slayton was in the 5th round....just a couple picks before we drafted KJ.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man this hindsight stuff y’all continue to do is getting annoying.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If memory serves Byrd has been a healthy inactive for a few games. That usually says he’s not showing much at practice. He should be busting his but if he’s the kind of player that can help move this team forward.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Imo, Cooper makes as many plays as Byrd. I also think Coopers spot is secure on this team because of being a good return man. I like Byrd though. Have no idea his future on this team moving forward. Byrd has a way of disappearing for several games, then bam, comes out of nowhere with a 50 yd catch. Just like Sunday.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Minter played well for us for a few years. He wasnt as athletic as we prob wanted but a solid football player. Isabella hasnt gotten on the field much.
I think Isabella will eventually make plays. My point is that he is going to hang around because he was a 2nd round pick and will likely continue to be a niche player (similar to Minter) getting a limited number of snaps.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson