Bucks at Suns 12-15-14

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's really amazing how, even though the faces have changed the same issues still haunt this team... They are pathetically soft. Have been for over a decade... They have zero half-court game. As it's been since the Amare/Nash era... Can't get to the free throw line. Can't play consistent defense...
Incredible.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this team look like a team that will turn it around to you?

Wow. I have a bridge I'd like to sell you :)

I have no idea. Did that 0 - 13 Suns team look like it could be turned around? There is a point where it would make sense to focus more on the future and less on the present. The trick is knowing when that point has been reached. It's only been in the last few years where it's been conceivable to put that "point" at anywhere other than late in the season.

Right now we have 3 players that have played at much higher levels than they have thus far this season. Do we write them off? Do we bench them in favor of the younger players or saddle them with teammates that have yet to earn their playing time, likely decreasing their value and turning them into malcontents along the way? That makes no sense to me.

If the front office decides this season is wasted then they need to find a way to spotlight these stars so they can be moved for value. We're a couple of steps up on the rebuild ladder, tanking right now slides us all the way back to the bottom and history shows that being on the bottom is a piss poor way to make it to the top.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I have no idea. Did that 0 - 13 Suns team look like it could be turned around?

Yes; I remember predicting to my wife that they would still make the playoffs.

tanking right now slides us all the way back to the bottom and history shows that being on the bottom is a piss poor way to make it to the top.

I agree that the Suns have forfeited their best opportunity to tank. But while it may be true that bottoming out offers poor prospects for making it to the top, being on the playoff bubble for several straight years is far, far worse. You have to be focusing on either the present or the future. If your present sucks and you aren't actively, intentionally building for the future, you're nowhere.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
This team is just in a massive funk right now. But there are lingering issues that are haunting us, such as a lack of decent ball movement and too many damn three's. I remember a point in the game where Steve Albert mentioned that the Suns had jacked up more three point attempts than two point attempts. That is inexcusable. We controlled this entire game and just didn't close out. Bad bad.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
More importantly than this game, I really hope Jabari Parker is alright. Nice kid with a great personality and attitude. Sure hope its nothing serious.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't think it was a possibility until the trade and even then those hopes died quickly once we learned that Kidd would be out for 6 weeks. That first half against Vancouver before his injury was one of the most exciting 24 minutes of basketball I've ever seen. Jason was everywhere, and then he was down.

I agree that the Suns have forfeited their best opportunity to tank. But while it may be true that bottoming out offers poor prospects for making it to the top, being on the playoff bubble for several straight years is far, far worse. You have to be focusing on either the present or the future. If your present sucks and you aren't actively, intentionally building for the future, you're nowhere.

Yes it is but we've not really spent much recent time on the playoff bubble. We're only one full season removed from a 25 win season. And I'm not sure I agree that you have to be focusing on either the present or the future. They aren't always at odds for one thing and since an organization has multiple goals it seems reasonable to me that they focus on more than one end point. They need to put fans in the seats now and they need to protect their future. That usually requires some compromise along the way.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is just in a massive funk right now. But there are lingering issues that are haunting us, such as a lack of decent ball movement and too many damn three's. I remember a point in the game where Steve Albert mentioned that the Suns had jacked up more three point attempts than two point attempts. That is inexcusable. We controlled this entire game and just didn't close out. Bad bad.

All we had to do was make a few more of those wide open 3's to force them out of their zone. Any decent shooter should shoot a high percentage on wide open looks from the 3. But Green just killed us with a nod to the coach for allowing him to continue to kill us. The only time we ran any offense at all is early in the game before they started zoning us and we fed Markieff. Once they collapsed he had no room to work.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think TJ Warren would have gave us a higher chance to win than Green. I know Warren played a whooping 4 mins but that's not enough.

I feel like Green's attitude is rubbing off on other guys. Other plays are gonna start thinking "Well if he doesn't have to pass the ball and gets to chuck away, then I'm probably allowed to do that also".

I wish we had veteran leaders who would either call out Green publicly or privately and tell him to being such a ball hog especially when his shot is so damn off.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I think TJ Warren would have gave us a higher chance to win than Green. I know Warren played a whooping 4 mins but that's not enough.

I feel like Green's attitude is rubbing off on other guys. Other plays are gonna start thinking "Well if he doesn't have to pass the ball and gets to chuck away, then I'm probably allowed to do that also".

I wish we had veteran leaders who would either call out Green publicly or privately and tell him to being such a ball hog especially when his shot is so damn off.

I feel like Green and IT both are currently in this thought bubble. Too much hero ball is bad for the team. And while I don't want to blame Hornacek for it all, he also needs to say "Let's move the ball a bit more" at some point. That's just my take. This team lives and dies by the three, and that's never going to be a recipe for success.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I feel like Green and IT both are currently in this thought bubble. Too much hero ball is bad for the team. And while I don't want to blame Hornacek for it all, he also needs to say "Let's move the ball a bit more" at some point. That's just my take. This team lives and dies by the three, and that's never going to be a recipe for success.

Hornacek says this to the media all the time but I don't think he says it enough to the actual players.

Many thought that one of the biggest challenges for Hornacek being a HC was that he was too nice. He doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings and actually wants to be buddy-buddy with everyone.

I don't think he actually tells the team "Listen guys, quit chucking away from 3 and move the ball around to find a good shot otherwise I'm gonna bench your ass".

He always talks big game to the media but he fails to live it up in games. He's a push over type HC imo.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Hornacek says this to the media all the time but I don't think he says it enough to the actual players.

Many thought that one of the biggest challenges for Hornacek being a HC was that he was too nice. He doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings and actually wants to be buddy-buddy with everyone.

I don't think he actually tells the team "Listen guys, quit chucking away from 3 and move the ball around to find a good shot otherwise I'm gonna bench your ass".

He always talks big game to the media but he fails to live it up in games. He's a push over type HC imo.

If that's the case, then that is going to only hurt us down the line. He can't be afraid to tell these guys when they are in the wrong. It's important to get along with your players of course, but if they are doing things that end up hurting the team, that can't continue. A line has to be drawn at some point.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If that's the case, then that is going to only hurt us down the line. He can't be afraid to tell these guys when they are in the wrong. It's important to get along with your players of course, but if they are doing things that end up hurting the team, that can't continue. A line has to be drawn at some point.

Just to be clear, all that is nothing but my assumption. Nothing's been reported about it or anything in the media. Its just my opinion based on what I hear from him after games and practices and then what I see in games.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Just to be clear, all that is nothing but my assumption. Nothing's been reported about it or anything in the media. Its just my opinion based on what I hear from him after games and practices and then what I see in games.

Yeah, that's how I interpreted it. But I agree with you that he could be a bit more forceful. For example, with Green and the night he was having tonight. I would have told Green to maybe look to affect the game in a different way. At some point you just have to accept that tonight is just not your night.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I interpreted it. But I agree with you that he could be a bit more forceful. For example, with Green and the night he was having tonight. I would have told Green to maybe look to affect the game in a different way. At some point you just have to accept that tonight is just not your night.

I think it would be smart to bring in Mike Malone as an assistant coach. He's said to be a defensive coach and also a hard nosed coach which bodes well with Hornacek's soft personality.

We could certainly use a good defensive coach right now since Mike Longbardi's strategies clearly haven't been working with the Suns being ranked #26 in the NBA in defense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There is a sense in which you have to learn what that next step is. Collect assets. Evaluate. Adjust. Evaluate. Adjust.

This is an evaluation stage and they are learning just what needs to go and what needs to stay. This is not a contending team right now, nor can it be (I know, duh). It is too bad though. This year looks like a wide open opportunity for a team that will seize it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The +/- stats from this game are telling. Looks like what many thought was the best signing of the off season might be the worst.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Shouldn't they save the choking shirts for the last few minutes of the game?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
green was 2-15 from 3 last night? Sheesh.