Bryon "don't call me the third wheel" Murphy

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This reeks of BS to me. Can any slot corner be a "special player" for any team? Outside of Chris Harris Jr most fans would struggle to name another slot corner in the league and very few could give you a top 5. This smells like Vance wanted to give Murphy a confidence boost.

That's not to say Murphy can't be a good player, I just don't think anyone playing 80% of snaps at best and covering lesser WR's or TE's can ever be "special".

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This reeks of BS to me. Can any slot corner be a "special player" for any team? Outside of Chris Harris Jr most fans would struggle to name another slot corner in the league and very few could give you a top 5. This smells like Vance wanted to give Murphy a confidence boost.

That's not to say Murphy can't be a good player, I just don't think anyone playing 80% of snaps at best and covering lesser WR's or TE's can ever be "special".

Honey Badger was pretty special as a slot corner, and Budda Baker still does his best work playing near the LOS.

That said, very little about Murphy so far suggests that he is anything more than a solid contributor who can be among the top five players on a good defense but not a top-three player on a good defense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Honey Badger was pretty special as a slot corner, and Budda Baker still does his best work playing near the LOS.

That said, very little about Murphy so far suggests that he is anything more than a solid contributor who can be among the top five players on a good defense but not a top-three player on a good defense.

He did get better last year, but all I saw was a guy who's ceiling is good #2 CB and that's ok.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Badger was an elite safety who would occasionally slide in slot corner depending on the coverage and never left the field. His reputation was earned as a safety.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
he's highly physical and a+ effort guy while tackling. If he develops above average coverage skills then he's a solid 1 or 2.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Badger was an elite safety who would occasionally slide in slot corner depending on the coverage and never left the field. His reputation was earned as a safety.
I recall him being in the slot a lot his first couple years when we had Johnson, Jefferson and Bell. I might be misremembering though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is fake news from someone who might not have been watching a lot of Cards games at the time. Matthieu played essentially slot corner in the Cards 3-safety nickel package. The further he was from the LOS, the less impact he had.

It was only after he was in Houston that he decided to focus on the safety position.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just dont get burnt as much as pp did last yr lol

Good In a way fresh faces at corner

Is prince still on practice squad?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He played quite a bit outside last year and WASNT epic fail.

Completely untrue if you look at objective data (stats).
Crucial part of the game and you have to throw to the outside, who do you go at, Murphy, Butler or god forbid an actual healthy Alford? I would go at Murphy for that one entry on the stat sheet which decides the game

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Crucial part of the game and you have to throw to the outside, who do you go at, Murphy, Butler or god forbid an actual healthy Alford? I would go at Murphy for that one entry on the stat sheet which decides the game

Butler is clearly the #1 corner, but I would want Murphy #2 over the rest.

His numbers were decent last in the slot AND as an outside corner. He showed definite improvement over his rookie year, and if he even makes modest improvement this year, he should move into the moderately good to good corner territory.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He played quite a bit outside last year and WASNT epic fail.

Completely untrue if you look at objective data (stats).

His hips are stiff. He doesn't have the naturally fluidity to play wide in my opinion. Might make a good Tampa 2 outside corner.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
His hips are stiff. He doesn't have the naturally fluidity to play wide in my opinion. Might make a good Tampa 2 outside corner.
If anything you need to be more fluid to play inside. Slot receivers have a two-way go. Outside receivers are bounded by the sideline.

IMO, he lacks the ball skills to succeed on the outside. No one is afraid to throw at Byron Murphy right now.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave