Bruce Arians is new HC

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully he can right this ship, the guy was a strong candidate for COY, I'm onboard

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So they fire Whis and Grimm to hire a guy that was going to put Whis and Grimm on his staff in Chicago? Seems really odd to me.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
seems like a solid hire on the surface, although I wouldn't have been 100% upset if you took Bevell instead

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Done deal. 4 years with a team option on the 5th. Per Schefter.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
So they fire Whis and Grimm to hire a guy that was going to put Whis and Grimm on his staff in Chicago? Seems really odd to me.

and McCoy put Whis on his and McCoy was respected as a candidate, so to me it shows Whis can coach but he cannot direct the whole ship on a long trip lol. I like this hire of Arians a lot

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Glad to see a former Running back coach for Bear Bryant at the helm! Ran the Wishbone at VT. Well He is a seasoned coach compared to others

Even though they have him listed as AZ Cardinals OC!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Arians

College
Arians began his coaching career in 1975 as a graduate assistant at Virginia Tech. Arians then held an assistant coaching position at Mississippi State University (running backs and wide receivers) from 1978-80 before heading to the University of Alabama to coach the running backs from 1981-82 under Paul "Bear" Bryant.
Arians was also the head coach at Temple University from 1983-88. He also held positions with Mississippi State (offensive coordinator, 1993–95) and Alabama (offensive coordinator, 1997).

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
didn't know

but it sounds like a philisophical agreement- that Whiz couldn't execute! I expect Horton to be released from his contract. We will see.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
and McCoy put Whis on his and McCoy was respected as a candidate, so to me it shows Whis can coach but he cannot direct the whole ship on a long trip lol. I like this hire of Arians a lot

I'm unconvinced, I feel like the team just hired the guy that most resembles the coach they fired.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It is what it is.

Let's do it!

If it costs us Horton then I will be very cautiously hopeful, but the guy has good credentials, had a great media interview, is a from the Tom Moore coaching tree, and is very experienced, and confident.

Hope is all I ask for.

From there, we will see.

If the Horton stories turn out to be BS, and he is our defensive coordinator...well, I think Arians can get enough out of the offense that next year could have the chance at the Cardinals being competitive again.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm unconvinced, I feel like the team just hired the guy that most resembles the coach they fired.

On the surface, and that was my initial feeling.

The one thing that stuck in my head after his interview, is he tries to make his offense simple.

I certainly think that was NOT the case with Whiz. It always seems everyone was so damn confused all the time on offense.

Pure speculation of course. We will see. Still a little apprehensive since it seems (not certain) it will cost us Ray Horton and our defense. That is putting every egg in one basket, while smashing the good one you already have.

Not saying it is the wrong move, just saying that is the risk.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well...now we wait to see Horton's future. Not sure what to think of this hire.

If he brings in Tom Moore for OC I may be more enthusiastic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I preferred Hortan but like the hire.. cant wait to see the staff. arians us super experienced!

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shefter reporting that horton still hasn't been officially notified of the hire. Hard to believe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I preferred Hortan but like the hire.. cant wait to see the staff. arians us super experienced!

Ditto. The staff will be key. I'm excited to see this change. I really like an offensive guy that can come in and groom his own new QB.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the surface, and that was my initial feeling.

The one thing that stuck in my head after his interview, is he tries to make his offense simple.

I certainly think that was NOT the case with Whiz. It always seems everyone was so damn confused all the time on offense.

Pure speculation of course. We will see. Still a little apprehensive since it seems (not certain) it will cost us Ray Horton and our defense. That is putting every egg in one basket, while smashing the good one you already have.

Not saying it is the wrong move, just saying that is the risk.
Arians does not = Wiz.

Arians compared to,Wiz:

- Better at developing QB's

- Less Coachspeak

- Warmer

What we don't know is which coach better adjusts to unforeseen problems and fixes them, but it's 50-50 it isn't Wiz.