Bradshaw says Payton didnt want to coach Murray

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QB is the most important position on the field. You’re swallowing sand if you don’t think the Kyler v. Russ question didn’t HEAVILY factor into that decision.
If he didn't like either, then you move on to ownership.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you believe the QB position played any role in his decision? He’s not going to come out and trash Kyler for no reason.
First of all he never came out and trashed Klyer. You are making that up.

Second he has been asked about how important a teams situation at QB was to him looking for a team to coach and he said what I quoted above on multiple occasions.

Yes I believe the current makeup of the team would have some influence especially at QB.

HOWEVER. I think top of the list for PAYton was $$$$$$$$. Followed by How stable the Ownership and Front Office is. Followed by how much say he has in all of the decisions being made.

Players come and go. Guaranteed money and power, now that is something special.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who cares what Terry Bradshaw thinks??? He’s about as big and dumb as a man can come. Most on this board should be old enough to know that Terry has never been nor will he ever be remotely the sharpest tool in the shed. If not for Chuck Noll, he would have been out of the NFL by year 5. Does he really want to be critical of Murray, when his first 4 years were comical. Those that want to give credence to anything that Bradshaw has to say ought to go back and take a peak at his numbers his first 4 years. He didn’t surpass 2000 yards in 3 of those 4 seasons, had 41 touchdown passes and a whopping 73 interceptions. Bradshaw is a nice guy, but a blowhard through and through.
He seemed like he had been drinking.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Honestly I could see SP saying this to Bradshaw as part of his media strategy. There were so many leaks during the coaching search from SP's camp. He clearly isn't shy about sharing stuff within his inner circle or media contacts.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
If you're going to use rumor, regarding Russ, you also need to use it regarding Murray. It came from the same source and the same conversation. Because you are a 100% Murray hater, you slant things against him every single time.
My guy told me the same thing. Payton had Murray over to his house to have a talk and get to know each other. After that talk Payton said he didn’t think Murray would be coachable and all in to what he was wanting from him.

He also wanted final say on personal. Only two sticking points but Kyler was the main reason.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This was said in another thread but I am shocked people aren't recognizing that even if Kyler is not a off-putting to potential coaches, he hasn't been a better option than

The Panthers roster, Sam Darnold and the #9 pick in the draft.

Denver ownership, Russ Wilson and no draft picks.

The Houston franchise that has fired two coaches in two years and the #2 pick in the draft.

Being the defensive coordinator in Dallas.

Being the defensive coordinator in Minnesota (a bad defensive roster).

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guy told me the same thing. Payton had Murray over to his house to have a talk and get to know each other. After that talk Payton said he didn’t think Murray would be coachable and all in to what he was wanting from him.

He also wanted final say on personal. Only two sticking points but Kyler was the main reason.
Oh no. I was afraid that is what happened. That is a really bad omen for the team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, that’s the ugliest thing we’ve heard yet. Grain of salt because it’s a board member, but yikes if true.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wait. So Kyler Murray, the same Kyler Murray that doesn't like to leave his Texas home, headed over to New Orleans to have dinner with Payton at his Uptown Apartment. All just so that Payton can get to know Murray?

Yeah that sounds like something Kyler would do. LOL

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Wait. So Kyler Murray, the same Kyler Murray that doesn't like to leave his Texas home, headed over to New Orleans to have dinner with Payton at his Uptown Apartment. All just so that Payton can get to know Murray?

yep...took time off from rehabbing that knee to do it too........

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Agreed. He definitely would have had his dad there if true.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Honestly I could see SP saying this to Bradshaw as part of his media strategy. There were so many leaks during the coaching search from SP's camp. He clearly isn't shy about sharing stuff within his inner circle or media contacts.
According to Pete Schrager at NFL Network, Payton had decided on Denver by the time of the Chiefs-Bengals game and the orange tie.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who cares what Terry Bradshaw thinks??? He’s about as big and dumb as a man can come. Most on this board should be old enough to know that Terry has never been nor will he ever be remotely the sharpest tool in the shed. If not for Chuck Noll, he would have been out of the NFL by year 5. Does he really want to be critical of Murray, when his first 4 years were comical. Those that want to give credence to anything that Bradshaw has to say ought to go back and take a peak at his numbers his first 4 years. He didn’t surpass 2000 yards in 3 of those 4 seasons, had 41 touchdown passes and a whopping 73 interceptions. Bradshaw is a nice guy, but a blowhard through and through.
Lynn Swann and John Stallworth helped too, along with the Steel Curtain on defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Pete Schrager at NFL Network, Payton had decided on Denver by the time of the Chiefs-Bengals game and the orange tie.
How can this be? @PACardsFan said the deal for the Cardinals was in place by the National Championship game.

That was a good one.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Que the folks who will dismiss this, even though it came straight from his mouth. Just like when Albright started the rumor about Payton having issues with Broncos front office (maybe he did and maybe he didn't) everyone (me included) jumped on it. Sean refuted it and then everyone (me included) wrote it off as damage control. Maybe, just maybe, we were all wrong and Payton was telling the truth. I will say, before all this mess regarding Murray this week, there was plenty of visual and audio evidence of Payton praising Murray, even when there wasn't a coaching job open in AZ.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Boom! Exactly what I expected and coming from the man himself.

I had to laugh at:

When Terry gets interviewed, you hold your breath

What blows my mind was how quickly all of these journalists ran with a complete misquote.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Boom! Exactly what I expected and coming from the man himself.

I had to laugh at:

What blows my mind was how quickly all of these journalists ran with a complete misquote.
Kyler deserves some of the criticism he gets, but some of it is also just straight click bait. He has become a symbol of youth culture for older people to drone on about endlessly. Again, some of the criticism is 100% warranted, but the fact that his character has taken way more media hits this offseason than someone like Joe Mixon is pretty messed up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler deserves some of the criticism he gets, but some of it is also just straight click bait. He has become a symbol of youth culture for older people to drone on about endlessly. Again, some of the criticism is 100% warranted, but the fact that his character has taken way more media hits this offseason than someone like Joe Mixon is pretty messed up.
100%

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Reading between the lines when he said "the Broncos were a “different fit” when it came to his alignment with ownership and the front office" points to MB as the reason he chose someone else (Broncos)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Reading between the lines when he said "the Broncos were a “different fit” when it came to his alignment with ownership and the front office" points to MB as the reason he chose someone else (Broncos)
Shocking, isn't it?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Bidwill and the Cardinals are in the lowest bracket of owner/franchise. No doubt about that. QB's come and go, he doesn't want to be married to Bidwill, or Bidwill was too cheap.