Boxing

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Canelo vs Kovalev tonight. Canelo the middleweight champion jumping up 2 weight classes to take on light heavy champ Krusher Kovalev

there even showing the fight in theaters tonight I haven’t seen that in forever.

You watching?

I think Kovalev although getting old is just to big

Berchelt also fighting tonight on ESPN

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canelo got lucky....and still got his hometown cooking as expected.

I am starting to get completely turned off by boxing. Canelo was somehow ahead on 2 of the 3 scorecards, when he barely threw any punches at all for the first half of the fight.

I think all of MMA, including Boxing, needs to turn to Open Scoring. The judging in boxing is absolutely atrocious. They should show on the screen, and to the audience what the scores are. Even better, they should show us how each judge scores the fight.

At least MMA/UFC seems pretty close.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Canelo got lucky....and still got his hometown cooking as expected.

I am starting to get completely turned off by boxing. Canelo was somehow ahead on 2 of the 3 scorecards, when he barely threw any punches at all for the first half of the fight.

I think all of MMA, including Boxing, needs to turn to Open Scoring. The judging in boxing is absolutely atrocious. They should show on the screen, and to the audience what the scores are. Even better, they should show us how each judge scores the fight.

At least MMA/UFC seems pretty close.

I have no idea how you think he got “lucky” when it ended in a brutal knockout.

The scores were pretty much dead even. 96-94, 96-94, 95-95.

I’m not a Canelo fan at all but watching Kovalev throw a million meaningless jabs over the first 5 rounds wasn’t impressive at all.

just look at the punch stat. Kovalev threw 577 jabs but only landed 10% of them (63). That’s downright awful. So while it looks like he’s busy he’s not actually doing anything.

but look at power punches Canelo landed 104 out of 217 that’s 47% whenever a fighter can land damn near 50% of there power punches that pretty much tells you there doing what they want in the ring.

punch stats

Canelo 133 out of 344
Kovalev 115 out of 745

while punch stats don’t always tell the story that’s pretty alarming.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how you think he got “lucky” when it ended in a brutal knockout.

The scores were pretty much dead even. 96-94, 96-94, 95-95.

I’m not a Canelo fan at all but watching Kovalev throw a million meaningless jabs over the first 5 rounds wasn’t impressive at all.

just look at the punch stat. Kovalev threw 577 jabs but only landed 10% of them (63). That’s downright awful. So while it looks like he’s busy he’s not actually doing anything.

but look at power punches Canelo landed 104 out of 217 that’s 47% whenever a fighter can land damn near 50% of there power punches that pretty much tells you there doing what they want in the ring.

punch stats

Canelo 133 out of 344
Kovalev 115 out of 745

while punch stats don’t always tell the story that’s pretty alarming.

He left himself exposed for one moment and the fight ended. Sometimes that is all it takes in boxing.

Landing 10% of your jabs is bad. With that said, you can't win rounds when you literally (yes I mean literally) don't throw any punches for 2 straight minutes and not connect with anything important in the other minute.

There was clearly some home cooking in this one, just like both of the GGG fights with the judges.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He left himself exposed for one moment and the fight ended. Sometimes that is all it takes in boxing.

Landing 10% of your jabs is bad. With that said, you can't win rounds when you literally (yes I mean literally) don't throw any punches for 2 straight minutes and not connect with anything important in the other minute.

There was clearly some home cooking in this one, just like both of the GGG fights with the judges.

well he managed to Outland him by throwing no punches then.

Canelo lost the 1st GGG fight clearly but he clearly won the 2nd in my eyes.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

And yet, Canelo landed more punches...

I agree with you that generally speaking, scoring in boxing is a joke. But in this case, I actually thought the judges were pretty spot-on.
And Canelo most certainly didn't get "lucky". He wore Kovalev down... which is amazing since Kovalev is naturally the bigger and stronger guy. But for some reason, Kovalev never tried to use his natural size and power to his advantage. He pitty-patted the entire fight, fighting while backing up as Canelo pressured him. Very strange to see...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet, Canelo landed more punches...

I agree with you that generally speaking, scoring in boxing is a joke. But in this case, I actually thought the judges were pretty spot-on.
And Canelo most certainly didn't get "lucky". He wore Kovalev down... which is amazing since Kovalev is naturally the bigger and stronger guy. But for some reason, Kovalev never tried to use his natural size and power to his advantage. He pitty-patted the entire fight, fighting while backing up as Canelo pressured him. Very strange to see...

Most of the punches Canelo landed were in the last 3 rounds. He was typical Canelo. Do nothing for the first half of the fight and still win rounds somehow. He should have been down 4-2, or even 5-1 after 6 rounds. He clearly wasn't according to the scorecards.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Most of the punches Canelo landed were in the last 3 rounds. He was typical Canelo. Do nothing for the first half of the fight and still win rounds somehow. He should have been down 4-2, or even 5-1 after 6 rounds. He clearly wasn't according to the scorecards.

Huh? Why would you think he should've been down by that many rounds? Do you think you should get points simply for throwing meaningless punches as you're backing up? Girly jabs that never landed and zero power punches??

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Why would you think he should've been down by that many rounds? Do you think you should get points simply for throwing meaningless punches as you're backing up? Girly jabs that never landed and zero power punches??

Meaningless punches are better than no punches. How can you score if you don't throw any punches?

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meaningless punches are better than no punches. How can you score if you don't throw any punches?

Because what he does throw matters. Like I said compubox isn’t the be all and end all but it doesn’t really support your argument.

“typical Canelo” yeah uh he’s pretty damn good. It honestly sounds like you got something against him especially if you thought he should be down that much midway through the fight. Your looking to give Kovalev rounds.

listen I’m not a Canelo fan really but credit where credit is due. Kovalev fought like he was scared of him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

That’s wrong... especially since Canelo was applying all of the pressure and walking down Kovalev, wearing him down the entire fight. Nothing Kovalev was doing had any impact on Canelo, and everything Canelo was doing had an impact on Kovalev...

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Naoya Inoue beat Donaire last night.

best little guy in recent memory

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wilder vs Ortiz 2

Saturday night the first was a classic

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you mean Joshua, not Wilder...

nope Wilder vs Ortiz 2 ended in a 7th round knockout, with Ortiz up all 3 cards

Joshua Vs Ruiz 2 is on Saturday. Fight starts 4pm local time because there in Saudi’s Arabia

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joshua boxed circles around Ruiz. Ruiz embarrassed himself, the fans and the belts. He came in 20lbs heavier and he looked like crap.

good for Joshua

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Robert Guerrero going nowhere, wants Manny Pacquiao or Garcia fights

If you use this content, you legally agree to credit World Boxing News and backlink to our story Robert Guerrero going nowhere, wants Manny Pacquiao or Garcia fights | WBN -
World Boxing News
“In 2020 I want to step up and fight any of the big names at welterweight,” said Guerrero. “I wouldn’t mind stepping in the ring with Mikey Garcia, who I think is one of the best fighters in boxing. I’ve always respected Mikey and I think that would be a good fight for the fans. Manny Pacquiao is another big name that I can see myself fighting. I also wouldn’t mind doing a rematch with Danny Garcia.” In 2013, Guerrero fought Floyd Mayweather Jr., followed by some tough fights with Keith Thurman and Danny Garcia to name a few. The Ghost always gives the fans their money’s worth and he’s looking to do the same in the upcoming year.

If you use this content, you legally agree to credit World Boxing News and backlink to our story Robert Guerrero going nowhere, wants Manny Pacquiao or Garcia fights | WBN - World Boxing News
https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2019/12/12/robert-guerrero-manny-pacquiao-garcia/