Booker Upset with Front Office?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not taking this very seriously. Booker has to know that they can't afford to keep someone around just because of friendship. I will be pissed though if later we learn that this hit Booker out of left field. We made him the face of this team and announced to the world that Booker would have input on the direction of the franchise. And if Ryan didn't learn through that whole twins debacle, that's a problem.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Booker just liked this tweet... ugh....

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously though. I don't think this is a big deal, but if he is that set on playing with his friends maybe he can carve out a small piece of his fat extension he is going to get to make room for Tyler on the roster.

With all that being said, we still may resign Ulis.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
$156 million has a funny way of helping people get over these situations

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Can totally get it from <a href="https://twitter.com/DevinBook?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@DevinBook</a>’s perspective. You say he’s the face of the franchise, talk about him being involved and then cut his best friend without mentioning it to him. Culture is built on communication and trust. Has to come from both sides.</p>&mdash; Free Agents Are Never Free (@Espo) <a href="
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
">July 1, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Booker just liked this tweet... ugh....

So they didn’t give him a heads up? Smart move there, Ryan.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For Booker to go out of his way to like a certain tweet speaks VOLUMES about how the past 24 hours probably went down...

If true, this HAS to be dealt with head on. A breakdown of communication with this much at stake is ridiculous

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
For Booker to go out of his way to like a certain tweet speaks VOLUMES about how the past 24 hours probably went down...

If true, this HAS to be dealt with head on. A breakdown of communication with this much at stake is ridiculous
It's a weird situation though. Were they supposed to call Ulis' best friend to tell him Ulis would be cut before telling Ulis himself?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Booker is barely an adult and has a lot to learn, including making the right decisions for his team if he wants them all to succeed. He can stay best friends with Ulis wherever he is, in or out of the NBA.

the suns made a lot of aggressive moves to satisfy his preference of accelerating the timeline

in regards to telling him first, it would have increased hostilities because they would have had to override his request not to cut Ulis

the time has come to raise champions
not Divas
if he gets to Lebron level
he can be both

there's a couple of new guys that should make fine candidates for a new bestie in the locker room
they need you

it's june and it's time to graduate to the next level
where you're going Ulis can't follow

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well in that case, the griping of former Suns and the way McD has handled it has rubbed off a bit on Booker.

That said, Booker is a kid whose mind might not be right because he is so young.

#1 Complains about not making the playoffs
#2 Wants to keep Ulis

Pick one.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If history tells us anything in the NBA, it’s that players playing favorites toward guys they like isn’t a viable way to make your team better. Just look at just about every roster LeBron James has played on. Putting undue influence on a team to keep a player you are friendly with regardless of skill-set or roster contact is a bad look.

Booker sort of has the Suns over a barrel, especially given how well he has played and is projected to grow over the next couple of years. Phoenix has had a hard time signing or trading for a big star, something it seems they are always rumored to be in the works for. In the meantime, the Suns have a lot of dead weight along with Booker and Deandre Ayton, the No. 1 overall pick in 2018.

Then again, Booker isn’t necessarily good enough to make a demand that a friend be kept on the roster. Few NBA players actually are. For now this seems like NBA drama being aired openly, potentially to gain leverage later. There’s no worry that Booker will turn down any kind of max deal from Phoenix this early in his career. At least, not yet.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-devin-booker-upset-suns-174143222.html

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good article and it’s correct. You don’t keep a subpar player and demand to make the playoffs. Work is work. You get paid to do your job. You are not the gm. Yiur skills are playing basketball not constructing a team. You may be capable of that later in life with experience that you don’t possess presently.

I think it’s ridiculous that this is even a “thing.” If booker is making a big deal of this I’m sorry, as much as I’m excited about his future, time to grow up young guy.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a media contrivance. Someone said "Are you upset that they moved your best friend?" Of course the answer in any situation would be yes. What's he going to say, No? Manufactured controversy. Ulis was starting because we were tanking. I'd have kept him as a fifth guard maybe, but he'd never play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to let their franchise player know about such a move especially if it is his best friend.

How much effort does it take?

Booker was supposed to be a part of the Suns decision making.