Bits & Pieces

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Colin Cowherd on his Friday program detailed how he best thought the Cards should handle Murray. He says if Murray comes back and plays well the Cards should trade him. First the Cards still get another number one for Murray. Then they take a QB who they could get on a rookie deal and have contract space to build out the team. The Cards would add a top WR and an Edge.

I see it differently. I’m not confident Murray comes back and plays great but if he does, in my book that makes him a sure thing. If the Cards have the top 2 picks, I trade the second pick for the Bears probable 3 & plus their other round 1. Finally the Cards would get a round 1 in 2025. Yes, Williams will fetch that much. If the Bears don’t bite I’d take Harrison then trade with the Raiders for their ‘24 first and second, ‘25 first & ‘26 first. The latter deal and a Murray extension would fit the salary cap well.

If the Bear deal happens I think the Cards could come away with Harrison, Fashanu & Newton. I know some would prefer Kool-Aid, but I see Newton as a more certain commodity. I’m all for certainty. BTW I’m not convinced Verse is an impact player. I guess that’s conservative, but I believe you build from the lines out. Productive DTs are hard to find, even in free agency. Grab a good G in round two and a CB or two in free agency. I know it’s early, but how the draft goes is heavily dependent on Murray.

Brief note: I’ve been speculating Murray may play starting in week 5. Gannon is a reasonably straight shooter and he seems to be indicating he will hold Murray back until mid-season.

In another realm, one of the Cards related blogs is suggesting the Cards trade Brown to the Pack for a round two draft pick. Sure I’d do that if GB was a big enough sucker to pay a round two for a rental player. I think the Cards would be lucky to get a fourth round pick for him. That’s a tougher call. Retaining Brown would allow the Cards to get a better read on Murray, which is likely the most critical part of this season’s personnel evaluations that must be made. So, I’d pass on a fourth or even a third because the Cards already have sufficient picks to augment the roster. However, I couldn’t pass on a second rounder, because that’s a potential starter.

Finally the QB ranking among Top evaluators are getting interesting. Maye’s poor decision making early in the season is concerning some scouts. While there’s plenty of time to fix this issue, if he continues to be reckless there’s a possibility Sanders might be the second QB off the board. While Daddy Sanders is threatening to keep his son out of this year’s class, that’s would be selfish (Deion is capable of that), but the danger of injury or regression makes it more likely he lets him go. Remember Matt Leinart.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
@Harry I agree that Cowherd is wrong that the Cardinals should trade Murray. The best play is to keep Murray under this scenario and play deal maker. The Cardinals can pull Dolphins-like draft moves.

My list of players I'm interested in right now in no particular order:

1. MHJ. Highest rated WR in a very long time, and has the look of a top five NFL WR for the next decade.

2. Fashanu. Extremely nimble big man with NFL All Pro potential. Even with Humphries on the roster, you don't pass on a pass blocker with his potential since he has the ability to unlock more of the play book.

3. Newton. Extremely disruptive interior player, which is much harder to find than edge. While none of the Cardinals edge players look like they could be a top edge threat, Newton could potentially make the edges more productive by drawing increased interior attention.

4. Alt. While Alt is currently playing LT, I look at moving him to RT and moving PJJ back to LT. Alt is a mailer who comes from NFL bloodlines and a program (ND) that just churns out good NFL OL.

5. Odunze. I'm more interested in Odunze in a trade back. Big, physical receiver with outstanding body control and the ability to high point balls with the best of them in college football. A physical specimen who can make big plays down the field.

6.Verse. I'm much higher on Verse. He's really good at setting the edge, has a quick first step, and a very violent jolt on OTs. His effort is outstanding and you don't really find any top edge player who doesn't have a big time motor like Verse. He was elite against LSU.

7. Nabers. He's extremely tough guy who wins a lot of contested balls. The question is how fast is he?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It’s a strange paradox. If Murray plays starting mid-season, we’re not getting the #1 pick unless the Texans complete the tank job. If Murray doesn’t play and we can draft Caleb, then draft Caleb and trade Kyler away.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s a strange paradox. If Murray plays starting mid-season, we’re not getting the #1 pick unless the Texans complete the tank job. If Murray doesn’t play and we can draft Caleb, then draft Caleb and trade Kyler away.

Returning from significant injury into a new system on a trash team during a throwaway season makes very little sense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Harry I agree that Cowherd is wrong that the Cardinals should trade Murray. The best play is to keep Murray under this scenario and play deal maker. The Cardinals can pull Dolphins-like draft moves.

My list of players I'm interested in right now in no particular order:

1. MHJ. Highest rated WR in a very long time, and has the look of a top five NFL WR for the next decade.

2. Fashanu. Extremely nimble big man with NFL All Pro potential. Even with Humphries on the roster, you don't pass on a pass blocker with his potential since he has the ability to unlock more of the play book.

3. Newton. Extremely disruptive interior player, which is much harder to find than edge. While none of the Cardinals edge players look like they could be a top edge threat, Newton could potentially make the edges more productive by drawing increased interior attention.

4. Alt. While Alt is currently playing LT, I look at moving him to RT and moving PJJ back to LT. Alt is a mailer who comes from NFL bloodlines and a program (ND) that just churns out good NFL OL.

5. Odunze. I'm more interested in Odunze in a trade back. Big, physical receiver with outstanding body control and the ability to high point balls with the best of them in college football. A physical specimen who can make big plays down the field.

6.Verse. I'm much higher on Verse. He's really good at setting the edge, has a quick first step, and a very violent jolt on OTs. His effort is outstanding and you don't really find any top edge player who doesn't have a big time motor like Verse. He was elite against LSU.

7. Nabers. He's extremely tough guy who wins a lot of contested balls. The question is how fast is he?

This is a staff that believes in coaching above all else. You can see that from the faith they have in no name guys.

I just don't see a situation where they bail on Kyler. Even if he comes back poorly this staff are going to say "That's on us, he has the talent and we aren't utilising it".

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
This is a staff that believes in coaching above all else. You can see that from the faith they have in no name guys.

I just don't see a situation where they bail on Kyler. Even if he comes back poorly this staff are going to say "That's on us, he has the talent and we aren't utilising it".
We have no name guys because they're cheap - not because they're coachable

As far as Kyler goes nobody knows

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Given Kylers social media posting: i have a hard time seeing him not playing this season

unless: there is a gigantic disconnect between Kyler and head coach-- where Kyler wants to play but Gannon or FO says no. That is also hard to believe.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Returning from significant injury into a new system on a trash team during a throwaway season makes very little sense.

We just lost 2 games by a combined 7 points and would have won or tied both if not for two misplaced passes to Ertz.

If you don't think Kyler makes a difference based off that alone I'm not sure what else to say.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Given Kylers social media posting: i have a hard time seeing him not playing this season

unless: there is a gigantic disconnect between Kyler and head coach-- where Kyler wants to play but Gannon or FO says no. That is also hard to believe.

Its especially hard to believe considering both have adamantly said he's going to play.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We just lost 2 games by a combined 7 points and would have won or tied both if not for two misplaced passes to Ertz.

If you don't think Kyler makes a difference based off that alone I'm not sure what else to say.

Not sure the purpose of this reply. Nobody thinks Dobbs is better than a healthy Kyler.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Cardinals still need to evaluate Murray after last year and the final evaluation is to see him on the field.

As @BritCard noted, the Cardinals narrowly lost two games, and Murray likely would have made a big difference.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Cardinals still need to evaluate Murray after last year and the final evaluation is to see him on the field.

As @BritCard noted, the Cardinals narrowly lost two games, and Murray likely would have made a big difference.

Kyler is better than Dobbs but he’s injured so I’m not sure what hypotheticals have to do with this not being a throwaway year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kyler is better than Dobbs but he’s injured so I’m not sure what hypotheticals have to do with this not being a throwaway year.
You're not focusing on the right part of my statement...the Cardinals need to evaluate Kyler Murray, and they can't fully do that without him playing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure the purpose of this reply. Nobody thinks Dobbs is better than a healthy Kyler.

Kyler will likely play 10 games. That's a lot of potential extra wins over Dobbs.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think what he’s saying is that had we had competent QB play, we’re no worse than 1-1

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait...I thought it was all Marco Wilson's fault?

Oh you got me...

Not really. Wilson was largely responsible for the collapse with his dire 2nd half performance.

Had Kyler played we likely score a TD on the first drive and/or one of the bad 2nd half drives and win.

Both things can coexist as one happened and one is a theory.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We most likely will be 0-8 without Murray. Doubt we even go .500 with him. That very much would mean the first pick is still in play.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Colin Cowherd on his Friday program detailed how he best thought the Cards should handle Murray. He says if Murray comes back and plays well the Cards should trade him. First the Cards still get another number one for Murray. Then they take a QB who they could get on a rookie deal and have contract space to build out the team. The Cards would add a top WR and an Edge.

I see it differently. I’m not confident Murray comes back and plays great but if he does, in my book that makes him a sure thing. If the Cards have the top 2 picks, I trade the second pick for the Bears probable 3 & plus their other round 1. Finally the Cards would get a round 1 in 2025. Yes, Williams will fetch that much. If the Bears don’t bite I’d take Harrison then trade with the Raiders for their ‘24 first and second, ‘25 first & ‘26 first. The latter deal and a Murray extension would fit the salary cap well.

If the Bear deal happens I think the Cards could come away with Harrison, Fashanu & Newton. I know some would prefer Kool-Aid, but I see Newton as a more certain commodity. I’m all for certainty. BTW I’m not convinced Verse is an impact player. I guess that’s conservative, but I believe you build from the lines out. Productive DTs are hard to find, even in free agency. Grab a good G in round two and a CB or two in free agency. I know it’s early, but how the draft goes is heavily dependent on Murray.

Brief note: I’ve been speculating Murray may play starting in week 5. Gannon is a reasonably straight shooter and he seems to be indicating he will hold Murray back until mid-season.

In another realm, one of the Cards related blogs is suggesting the Cards trade Brown to the Pack for a round two draft pick. Sure I’d do that if GB was a big enough sucker to pay a round two for a rental player. I think the Cards would be lucky to get a fourth round pick for him. That’s a tougher call. Retaining Brown would allow the Cards to get a better read on Murray, which is likely the most critical part of this season’s personnel evaluations that must be made. So, I’d pass on a fourth or even a third because the Cards already have sufficient picks to augment the roster. However, I couldn’t pass on a second rounder, because that’s a potential starter.

Finally the QB ranking among Top evaluators are getting interesting. Maye’s poor decision making early in the season is concerning some scouts. While there’s plenty of time to fix this issue, if he continues to be reckless there’s a possibility Sanders might be the second QB off the board. While Daddy Sanders is threatening to keep his son out of this year’s class, that’s would be selfish (Deion is capable of that), but the danger of injury or regression makes it more likely he lets him go. Remember Matt Leinart.
Any team that takes Sanders over Maye are idiots.