Bill O'Brien

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why are people against him? This is his first time with a losing record and that probably wouldn't have been the case had Watson not gotten injured. He's not my 1st choice, but he's been a pretty good coach. My first choice is keep Arians. If they look for a new HC, Pat Shurmur would be my 1st option.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes. He worked in the NE system for ten years, including three as OC. He took over the ultimate dumpster fire at Penn St replacing Paterno. He was able to right the ship and even make Christian Hackenburg look like a star his freshman year. He left and Hackenberg regressed. He had three winning seasons at Houston with absolute garbage at QB. He finally had a QB with talent in Watson and the offense exploded.

I think he would be a very strong candidate! What are everyone's major concerns with him? He seems to have been pretty successful in less than ideal situations in his two stops as HC.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
??????

What do people have against Bill O'Brien ?

Haven't seen him do anything but put crappy Texans team after crappy Texans team into the playoffs ?

Missing something, and the answer "no" without an explanation is not a very good argument against.

:D I like this board and the posters on it at all, but I do not take most of you at your word. :D

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yes. He worked in the NE system for ten years, including three as OC. He took over the ultimate dumpster fire at Penn St replacing Paterno. He was able to right the ship and even make Christian Hackenburg look like a star his freshman year. He left and Hackenberg regressed. He had three winning seasons at Houston with absolute garbage at QB. He finally had a QB with talent in Watson and the offense exploded.

I think he would be a very strong candidate! What are everyone's major concerns with him? He seems to have been pretty successful in less than ideal situations in his two stops as HC.

This is where I am in regards to him too He is the reason Hackenburg was even on the radar as a draft choice. The NE offense did well under him. Almost everyone here thinks we need a HC who is a good offensive coach and O'Brian fits the bill. From what I could tell he even changed his offense based on who his QB was. What everyone is forgetting and maybe don't realize is what he did with Matt McGloin in two years at PSU. McGloin was garbage until O'Brian came to PSU. McGloin ended his career at Penn State with a school record 46 touchdowns, and ranked 2nd in school history to Zack Mills at 513-of-894 for 6,390 yards His career efficiency of 130.2 is the highest among players with at least 750 pass attempts.

If you want a QBOTF and a coach who could mentor him, O'Brian is not a bad choice.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why are people against him? This is his first time with a losing record and that probably wouldn't have been the case had Watson not gotten injured. He's not my 1st choice, but he's been a pretty good coach. My first choice is keep Arians. If they look for a new HC, Pat Shurmur would be my 1st option.

??????

What do people have against Bill O'Brien ?

Haven't seen him do anything but put crappy Texans team after crappy Texans team into the playoffs ?

Missing something, and the answer "no" without an explanation is not a very good argument against.

:D I like this board and the posters on it at all, but I do not take most of you at your word. :D

Bill O'Brien is the head coaching version of James Bettcher. He's basically underperformed with exceptional talent his entire time in Houston.

He chose to start Tom Savage instead of Deshaun Watson.
Two seasons ago, he had a QB competition in camp and the "winner" was Brian Hoyer—for three quarters, and then in a fit of panic he insert Ryan Mallett.
He traded for Ryan Mallett after "coaching" him in New England.

O'Brien is probably an average football coach, but doesn't really offer much in the way of an advantage. I'd rather stick with Arians.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I've posted before with my reasons of dislike for BO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Was not impressed with Bill O'Brien on Hard Knocks. He's volatile, just like BA. After a while, players stop listening.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bill O'Brien is the head coaching version of James Bettcher. He's basically underperformed with exceptional talent his entire time in Houston.

Two seasons ago, he had a QB competition in camp and the "winner" was Brian Hoyer—for three quarters, and then in a fit of panic he insert Ryan Mallett.

O'Brien is probably an average football coach, but doesn't really offer much in the way of an advantage. I'd rather stick with Arians.
Ditto.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Was not impressed with Bill O'Brien on Hard Knocks. He's volatile, just like BA. After a while, players stop listening.

Except for BA being considered volatile (BA is really stable with his QBs, for example) I agree.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BOB changed his offense for Watson in which BA probably wouldn’t have. I wouldn’t mind BOB, tbh.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score

Pretty much everything I would have said. Three 9 win seasons with the front office providing him nothing to work with at QB. Would have probably had at least another 9 win (if not 10 or 11 win) team this year if Watson doesn't get hurt. They've had alot of injuries this year. Not saying hes the best coaching option on the market but it would still be a far better hire than some other candidates out there or than the Cardinals promoting someone from within if Arians leaves.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

My biggest issue (and some may think this is really nitpicking) was on HK, when he'd cut a player, he would never look him in the eye. He'd always "give the news" as the player was seating himself and BOB had his back turned as he, himself, returned to his desk. Again, may not be a big deal to some, but to me this is a huge character concern. He doesn't have the stones for a real man to man talk...he's got a passive-aggressive personality, IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave