Biggest Draft Disappointments

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
As bad as the Cardinals are at WR, you could argue they were worse at CB. Coming into the season, the Cardinals had ZERO starters at outside corner (I think Williams is basically a starter at NCB).

They signed SMB and filled out the depth chart with the draft.

WR at least had SOME NFL talent. Not much but you had Wilson, Dortch, and Chris Moore.

If you only draft Melton, you still have a big hole at the backup outside CB position, which as we have seen over the, oh I don't know the past decade, that can be a pretty big hole.

I agree there was two holes, but CB was still a bigger hole.
I think it is fine to feel CB was a bigger need. I disagree a bit. I don't believe there a huge difference between Chris Moore and Booby Price/StarlingThomas/Clark but I do believe the Cardinals are set up better to support WRs vs DBs. Kyler is a better support structure than the Cardinals pass rush.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That was the point, though.

Any team losing a star player for a good part of the season can essentially sink a year.

It was snark for effect.
The effect was off-putting at best.

and honestly, I don't know how many Cardinals players are that impactful to lose. My personal thought was I believed the WRs were better prospects and I feel ensuring Kyler has weapons is a better path to victory vs hoping a 3rd round CB can hold up with minimal pass rush support.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The effect was off-putting at best.

and honestly, I don't know how many Cardinals players are that impactful to lose. My personal thought was I believed the WRs were better prospects and I feel ensuring Kyler has weapons is a better path to victory vs hoping a 3rd round CB can hold up with minimal pass rush support.
This is a pretty sound argument, and one Ill have to agree with.

But I would counter that on offense, if a receiver gets hurt, the Cardinals can run more 12 or 21 to counter losing the receiver. The same can't be done nearly as effectively when a CB goes down, since the offense usually dictates personnel groupings.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That was the point, though.

Any team losing a star player for a good part of the season can essentially sink a year.

It was snark for effect.
Well, it's less a matter of we're screwed if MHJ goes down--we definitely know that--but more a matter of if Wilson or Dortch miss significant time, we're also screwed because there's no competition, let alone depth, in the room.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, it's less a matter of we're screwed if MHJ goes down--we definitely know that--but more a matter of if Wilson or Dortch miss significant time, we're also screwed because there's no competition, let alone depth, in the room.
But those guys supposedly suck so???

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
While I toyed around with the idea of trading up to get one of the pass rushers, I don't know if any of them were valuable enough to give up an extra pick for, especially since third rounders generally end up being starters.

I think I'd rather have Robinson and Adams/Reiman than one of those guys. I was pretty bullish on Robinson because of how he potentially would fit in Gannon's defense. As much as the Cardinals could use more edge pressure, I think they need guys who can collapse the pocket a lot more.
3rd rounders don’t generally end up as starters. Less than half make an impact whatsoever.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Because we deserve a better WR3 than Greg Dortch and he doesn’t even have legitimate competition

I don’t know why this is so hard to grok
They can still sign a Tyler Boyd, who is used to being a #3 and be upgraded.

Unless he’s signed somewhere I don’t know about.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They can still sign a Tyler Boyd, who is used to being a #3 and be upgraded.

Unless he’s signed somewhere I don’t know about.
There are a lot of things that can happen but won’t. Not sure why Boyd would come here on a one-year prove-it deal and not the Chargers.

That a market failed to appear for him is an interesting wrinkle this season.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
There are a lot of things that can happen but won’t. Not sure why Boyd would come here on a one-year prove-it deal and not the Chargers.

You’re right about Boyd not getting a deal. He was productive in Cincy.
I actually thought he was a good Christian Kirk comp. Obviously I was wrong.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They don't suck; we just are hoping for a lot from a small unproven guy and a young injury-prone and unproven guy, with no depth or competition whatsoever.
Imo the opium is all in Wilson's durability.

Greg dortch can play. He has proven it. His stature just limits what you can expect from him.
I think we are all a little gunshy in regards to short wr's... but maybe having just the one on the field won't be as detrimental to scoring.
With 6"3 Marv, 6'3ish Mike, and 6'4ish McBride...a 5'9ish Dortch can fly under the radar..push back the D with the big guys and get him the ball in space ...we all know he can create from that.

Plus... competition with Mike and Marv is likely to push those other rookies to learn fast

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Why are people counting on Dortsch? He’s a nice story and can fill a minor role. But he’s not a #3, or even a 4, on any other team.

The Cards can’t go in with him as the 3 if they’re fielding a legit team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are people counting on Dortsch? He’s a nice story and can fill a minor role. But he’s not a #3, or even a 4, on any other team.

The Cards can’t go in with him as the 3 if they’re fielding a legit team.
I think Dortch could be an okay to solid 4 on a legit team, but depending on him at the 3, with literally nothing behind him but complete and utter stiffs doesn’t give me the idea that we’re putting Kyler and the offense in the best position to succeed. Especially since our #2 has pretty big durability issues throughout college and his one pro season.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tell me, what is the difference between a 3 and a 4? Is it the numbers he catches, targeted? Or the tds scored, yards gained or what? Is it his size, his speed? What?

I think our receiver room is fine with who we have. It's up to the QB to read those 2nd, 3rd and 4th options. If he can do that, then the wr's will catch them. That is their job.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What are your thoughts on Zay Jones on a cheap deal?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tell me, what is the difference between a 3 and a 4? Is it the numbers he catches, targeted? Or the tds scored, yards gained or what? Is it his size, his speed? What?

I think our receiver room is fine with who we have. It's up to the QB to read those 2nd, 3rd and 4th options. If he can do that, then the wr's will catch them. That is their job.
We ran 3 WR sets 65.5% of the time last season. 4 WR sets 1.9%. So basically usage, and depending on your other two WRs, ability to play outside or the slot.

Why some people were disappointed with the Cardinals not taking a WR higher is that AZ is one injury away from having Zach Pascal playing 60% of snaps. That is in addition to counting on Wilson to be able to play at least 81% of snaps again, and Dortch going from 38% to 60%. And of course MHJ being able to start from day 1 and play a high % of snaps.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I love it but also doubt it will happen.
I like Jones as well but mostly prefer a WR who can play outside unless the Cardinals are good with Dortch outside. I would just like to see MHJ able to be moved around and not stuck outside because him and Wilson are the only outside WRs on the roster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort