Biggest Draft Disappointments

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
What's your biggest disappointments in the draft. My two biggest disappointments in the draft were (1) not picking a 2nd wide receiver until the sixth round, and (2) not picking an edge rusher until the fifth round.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think he's a 5T. 3-4 DE.
Yeah.. I read an article that described our defense as a hybrid that is mainly a mix of 3-4 and 5-1 on nickel. Robinson will be a 3-4 DE in the 3-4 front and probably has the versatility to potentially be a DT or DE in a 5-1 (with preference probably sliding inside). So, he's more in the Darnell Dockett role than the Chandler Jones role.

The reason why a lot of posters favored packing one 3rd round pick plus maybe a little more to move up for a guy like Turner, Latu, or Verse earlier in the round is that they would fill that traditional EDGE role - which is perceived to have more value than the role Robinson will play.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah.. I read an article that described our defense as a hybrid that is mainly a mix of 3-4 and 5-1 on nickel. Robinson will be a 3-4 DE in the 3-4 front and probably has the versatility to potentially be a DT or DE in a 5-1 (with preference probably sliding inside). So, he's more in the Darnell Dockett role than the Chandler Jones role.

The reason why a lot of posters favored packing one 3rd round pick plus maybe a little more to move up for a guy like Turner, Latu, or Verse earlier in the round is that they would fill that traditional EDGE role - which is perceived to have more value than the role Robinson will play.
While I toyed around with the idea of trading up to get one of the pass rushers, I don't know if any of them were valuable enough to give up an extra pick for, especially since third rounders generally end up being starters.

I think I'd rather have Robinson and Adams/Reiman than one of those guys. I was pretty bullish on Robinson because of how he potentially would fit in Gannon's defense. As much as the Cardinals could use more edge pressure, I think they need guys who can collapse the pocket a lot more.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i would have moved up the Jags spot and gotten Dallas Turner

Minnesota went from #23 to #17. In addition to the first swaps --

Minn gave up: 2024 5th (#167), 2025 3rd and 2025 4th

While moving up from 27 is four spots more, the Cards could have packaged a 2024 3rd and a 2024 4th and landed a pass rusher -- either Turner or Verse

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

While moving up from 27 is four spots more, the Cards could have packaged a 2024 3rd and a 2024 4th and landed a pass rusher -- either Turner or Verse
Edit - I misread this post originally and would have had no issues making the trade suggested here.

Without trading, I would have taken one of the outside corners (McKinstry/Wiggins) and gambled that either Robinson/Newton was there at #35 because an outside corner has more value and those guys had dropped compared to where they were expected to go. Now granted, the Cards could have gotten Robinson at #27 and Kool-Aid at #35 if they wanted him, but it seems like Melton was their guy all along.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

While I don't disagree on the face of it, @Krangodnzr is spot on. Ojulari is supposed to fill the Reddick role and Robinson will be the more robust end type that moves inside to rush. Turner would have been another guy in the Ojulari mode, no?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I think my biggest disappointment was not moving up for Terrion Arnold. He ended up all the way at #24...which means we could have moved up from #27 for probably #90 and maybe a 6th.

Gannon met with him at the combine and they seemed to really like him. I think he is the most talented CB in the draft and would have been considered a steal at #24.

I know this would have caused a ripple effect, but we could have either still nabbed Robinson with #35, or moved up to the end of the first round to make sure we got him.

The odd man out might have been Melton, but again, who knows what could have happened with a guy like Rakestraw slipping all the way to pick #61.

My ideal draft...without changing all the players (because I would have made different picks in some spots)

#4 - MHJ
#24 - Terrion Arnold
#32 - Darius Robinson
#66 - Trey Benson
#71- Used in Trade
#90 - Used in trade
#104 - Tip Reiman

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
third rounders generally end up being starters
Interesting to scratch the surface on this. In the 2019 NFL draft, 38 players were selected in the third round.

14 never were the primary starter at their position.
Nine more were the primary starter at their position for one year.
11 were the primary starter for three or more years at their position.

football karma

Reaction score
While I don't disagree on the face of it, @Krangodnzr is spot on. Ojulari is supposed to fill the Reddick role and Robinson will be the more robust end type that moves inside to rush. Turner would have been another guy in the Ojulari mode, no?
its a premium position -- and Ojulari hasnt proven anything. This year they had enough ammo that buring a couple mid round picks would have been painless.

I would have liked to have added another young edge -- because if both work out it is an easy problem to solve

football karma

Reaction score
Interesting to scratch the surface on this. In the 2019 NFL draft, 38 players were selected in the third round.

14 never were the primary starter at their position.
Nine more were the primary starter at their position for one year.
11 were the primary starter for three or more years at their position.
you have to figure the nine were "he was our third round pick, lets give him every opportunity to be the guy / we have no better options here"

i read somewhere that the 3rd round has a ~25% hit rate, so those numbers are in that range

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think most people wanted us to take a second receiver in round 3 instead of the Illinois players. However if the Illinois boys pan out then Monti and our scouts are geniuses.

OP
OP
Card'em

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
The pick that really got me was Elijah Jones at 90. He might turn out to be really good, but there were some really good receivers still available, just to name a few...Jalen McMillan, Troy Franklin, Javon Baker, Jacob Cowling.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The pick that really got me was Elijah Jones at 90. He might turn out to be really good, but there were some really good receivers still available, just to name a few...Jalen McMillan, Troy Franklin, Javon Baker, Jacob Cowling.
Are they good or are they just names you knew?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort