Big Year for Suns in HOF?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think KJ will end up in the HoF in the next decade. I know he's been eligible for a while but he's been left out for a while. With his career as a politician though it would be good PR for the Hall to add him. I know there were some scandals about him here in Phoenix but I haven't heard anything more about those lately. They seem to have disappeared, they haven't hurt his political career either.

I could see KJ getting in before Stat or Marion. I think Marion has a better chance that Amare does but I don't see either being likely choices. D'Antoni could go in, but I know that wouldn't be as the Suns coach but he does have Suns ties.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think KJ will end up in the HoF in the next decade. I know he's been eligible for a while but he's been left out for a while. With his career as a politician though it would be good PR for the Hall to add him. I know there were some scandals about him here in Phoenix but I haven't heard anything more about those lately. They seem to have disappeared, they haven't hurt his political career either.

With the way things are changing in the current culture, it's only a matter of time until Johnson's past comes back to destroy him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With the way things are changing in the current culture, it's only a matter of time until Johnson's past comes back to destroy him.
KJ and Michael Jackson were in a category by themselves ... involving children.

As far as the NBA HOF, I would say about KJ, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh KJ was a freaking creep. I this this year it was Real Sports that did a segment on him no he ain't getting in anytime soon

OP
OP
Raindog

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

That's the way I see it, too. He was a semifinalist the last couple years, and didn't even make that cut this year. So he is definitely trending in the wrong direction.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tim Hardaway is a holdover candidate this year and he was exiled for bashing gays not long ago. He seems to have been forgiven for what he did.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing KJ. If he did something then he should definitely hang for it but I haven't seen anything but a New Times article from years ago regarding that. If someone has links to any other pieces that have been done, whether they're videos or articles, I'll definitely check them out. Regarding his basketball past though, I think he was a HOF talent and being mayor Sacramento helps him as well. He helped keep the Kings there when the Maloof's sold just a couple years ago also.

Again, I've only heard some very vague things about KJ's past and they weren't very recent so I'm not up to speed on any of that stuff. Apparently it's a bigger deal than I'm aware of though since multiple people have brought it up.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I believe that there are two kinds of decisions that people make on a regular basis. Intellectual decisions and emotional decisions. They both make up the person.

There are plenty of people, for example, who are quite intelligent, but have emotional hangups, which detract from their overall persona.

Which explains why KJ could have the intelligence to function as the Mayor of a capital city . . . but not to draw the line when it comes to questionable personal behavior.

Look at all of the politicians and entertainers (public figures) who have come out of the woodwork to fit that mold recently.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I could see KJ getting in before Stat or Marion. I think Marion has a better chance that Amare does but I don't see either being likely choices. D'Antoni could go in, but I know that wouldn't be as the Suns coach but he does have Suns ties.

Poop head, sometimes I think you drink wayyyyy too much of the purple spiked look-aid.

There’s no freaking way KJ gets into the HOF and to be honest, not should he. Never a champion, never even ONE 1st Team ALL-NBA, really only played 5 great seasons before nagging injuries started to drag him down.

If the Bark/KJ teams win a title or two, I could see it because he would have been second best player on a title team, but sadly that didn’t happen and neither will getting into the HOF.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Poop head, sometimes I think you drink wayyyyy too much of the purple spiked look-aid.

There’s no freaking way KJ gets into the HOF and to be honest, not should he. Never a champion, never even ONE 1st Team ALL-NBA, really only played 5 great seasons before nagging injuries started to drag him down.

If the Bark/KJ teams win a title or two, I could see it because he would have been second best player on a title team, but sadly that didn’t happen and neither will getting into the HOF.

Tim Hardaway is on the holdover list, KJ had at least as good of a career as he did. Musgy Bogues is also on that list and KJ definitely had a better career than he did. Bogues was a novelty sort of gimmick player. You can't say he's a more deserving HoF'er than KJ.

KJ's career was good but him being a politician and his work to keep the Kings in Sacramento is something I thought would play into being selected to the HoF. Of course I didn't realize the extent to which he's tarnished his reputation with the sexual misconduct allegations though. Had those not been around I think he'd be in the HoF already.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Titles aren't a pre-requisite. He was one of the, if not THE, driving force for a team that became the 5th winningest in NBA history. Yes, the injuries are a concern, but when he wasn't injured he was still one of the best point guards in the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raindog

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Tim Hardaway is on the holdover list, KJ had at least as good of a career as he did. Musgy Bogues is also on that list and KJ definitely had a better career than he did. Bogues was a novelty sort of gimmick player. You can't say he's a more deserving HoF'er than KJ.

Muggsy Bogues is definitely a joke as an HOF candidate. He had a remarkable career for his physical shortcomings, but if he's a Hall of Famer, then Manute Bol should be, too.

And I have always felt that Hardaway was a bit overrated. A good player, no doubt, but not the extra elite level that you would think the Hall would demand. It would be ironic if he got in - making that entire trio of stars for the GSW of the late 80s/early 90s (Mullin, Richmond/Hardaway) all HOFers - even though those teams on the whole weren't all that great. Kind of invalidates the prevailing theory that your team has to have done something special to get you into the HOF.