Big trade with patriots - Cooper for Chandler Jones

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Been reading the pats forum. About 80% are happy with the trade as they all complained he disappeared after week 8. Only two sacks in 9 games both against a blowout vs titans.

That's a common phenomena. You'll see it here as well. A player who leaves or gets traded away will be talked down and dismissed as not being very good.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It's the right move for both teams. You can tell it's a sign of two savvy organizations now.

New England needed a high pick (Goodell robbed them) and knew that they couldn't keep him and Hightower.

Cardinals wiffed on free agent after free agent on pass rushers so they gave up a good pick and a player with potential to address their biggest need.

Hopefully Jones resigns with us and Cooper gets close to his potential so it's a win for both.

Well said, Chris.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Mad Card Disease, you hang in there and take care of business on your end. Keim seems to be doing just fine here with the team. Take care young man and get better.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's a pro bowl DE
They don't grow on tree's

Cooper was ranked the 50th best guard in the league

Good Guards (which Cooper is not) are pretty easy to get
Good Pass Rushers are next to impossible to get

I feel like we sold them swamp land

Reaction score
Chandler Jones - Syracuse
Dwight Freeney - Syracuse

Coincidence? I think not.

I believe this trade has been worked on for a significant period of time!

SteveKiner

Reaction score
I wonder if we make him a 3-4 DE or an OLB.

Definitely an OLB for the Cards. Nowhere near stout enough to play inside for you guys on rushing downs. However, the Pats did have him line up as DT in the nickel on definite passing downs. Quick first step and some good moves. Bowles would have used him as a chess piece and moved him all over. I am not as familiar with Betcher, but he may do the same.

SteveKiner

Reaction score
That's a common phenomena. You'll see it here as well. A player who leaves or gets traded away will be talked down and dismissed as not being very good.

No one does that quite like the Boston/NE fans. By the end of the day, you will think that Jones was no better than a 3rd string back up on the verge of being cut if you listen to some people. Certain ones in particular, you would think any player leaving the local teams had to have insulted their wife/girlfriend or something. Read Patsfans.com to get a pretty good sense of the general feelings about Jones. Just don't take the real highs or real lows too seriously. If you read it enough, you will figure out who has an agenda and who doesn't.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
So if Chandler Jones leaves after 2016 the Cards end up with ? A BIG FREAKING ZERO.Don`t mind the trade but hate the fact the Cards got hosed by giving up a 2nd round pick.What about Chandler Jones off field issues?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if Chandler Jones leaves after 2016 the Cards end up with ? A BIG FREAKING ZERO.Don`t mind the trade but hate the fact the Cards got hosed by giving up a 2nd round pick.What about Chandler Jones off field issues?

Hes not leaving after 2016 unless he just sucks which o doubt. He will be franchised at a minimum

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score

If he signs a monster deal somewhere else, we would get a comp pick, quite likely a 3rd.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he signs a monster deal somewhere else, we would get a comp pick, quite likely a 3rd.

What could be his asking price.
Probably they discussed already an extension,in the same way the Vikings did some years a go with jared Allen

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It's a good article, basically expands upon what has been discussed in this thread.

The only two things I can take issue with is that he said we need to clear space to fit Jones in? That sounds very wrong. Didn't we have a decent amount of space when FA hit? I thought I read an estimate of about 17-20, but that might have included DWash's contract being cut.

The other thing is that while I get the angle of trading him a year early to not lose him to free agency, the writer is almost equating that to getting rid of a player a year early due to ineffectiveness. That's not the same thing.

Logan Mankins, Randy Moss, and Richard Seymour were on the downside of their careers, and these guys were all in their 30's. 30, 32, and 34 roughly. Chandler Jones is 26 and entering into the prime of his career and physical specimen wise is exactly what we need.

But other than that it was a good thorough article. :thumbup:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I just saw this. 12 pages. Too much to read on my phone right now. I hope most of the comments are positive as I love this deal. These are not your grandmother's Cardinals

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nice....

Bill Simmons @BillSimmons
So long to Chandler Jones, a Super Bowl champ and the greatest NFL Films Mic'd Up Patriot ever.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard