Beware the 4th Win

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You can ugly spin it however you want. But we all know the top 10 picks in the draft are rarely the 10 best players from that draft a decade later.
I'm in on Harrison. But the simplest of truths is that at this point we don't know if he is another Fitz or another Bryant Johnson.

If you have a way of knowing...then kindly hook a brother up with next week's powerball numbers please
We don't. We also don't know if dropping a slot or two or more in the draft will have significantly negative implications or not. Anyone saying it's not a big deal has just as much chance of being wrong as right.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
means nothing. every year there is hype and usually more than 1 guy. every year some guys live up to it, some guys dont, and some dude from out of nowhere blows the league away.
the tape looks good right now but its just as likely that when looking back 20 years from now Harrison will have had a pedestrian career while some dude from the 4th round is headed to Canton

in regards to the post you referenced...everybody knew winslow was a headcase
Yeah, anything can happen, but if you don’t trust your scouts your team is doomed. Sure late guys blossom, that’s why the draft isn’t one round. Tom Brady was a late pick, but Carson Palmer went one overall. He’s a great lesson for everyone. If he doesn’t play for the Cards, his career is a failure. However, in the right system, he’s a winner. So some of it’s coaching. Still enough scouts with proven history say Harrison is the best WR. Part of that is he has the lowest bust factor. Could someone else end up being better? Since there are dozens of someone else‘s, statistically that’s probably likely. The problem is which one will win the lottery. Everyone on the board has a favorite, but in the end it’s a gamble. Harrison offers the best odds and at worst is likely to at least be an asset.

Cards Crazy

Veteran
Reaction score
Hate to ask this but what if the player a team ie. Cards want say MHJ decides to stay in school would it matter if they pick 3rd or say 7th or 8th or should they trade that 3rd for yet Another Pick Hall ( my personal favorite) several Teams have did this to Great success in the past

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Ah fiddlesticks , i Respect the Texan strategy to give up everything for the 2 best blue chip players each side of the ball And yes it’s working out for them. Any team would be happy to have either one in any decade, so its a solid move.

we have our qb under contract.he is a starter on most teams , right now and for the next few years if healthy. We should end up with premium blue chip -layers at important positions in this draft, just get risky , draft solid.and we could own the nfcw for a few years.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Hate to ask this but what if the player a team ie. Cards want say MHJ decides to stay in school would it matter if they pick 3rd or say 7th or 8th or should they trade that 3rd for yet Another Pick Hall ( my personal favorite) several Teams have did this to Great success in the past
He’ll never stay in school. See Leinart….

Cards Crazy

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe but remember Leinart was before the new rules where college players could recieve money although I know very little about it I hear MHJ was offered 1st round money
Maybe if you or someone could explain these new rules I would appreciate it

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
As I said, win games, let the season end, and see where you draft. I couldn't care less about the draft right now. I want us to win our remaining games. Maybe we will, maybe we won't, but I am not wanting my team to lose on any Sunday.
My thoughts exactly.
If you want MHJ so badly then it’s on Monte to figure it out. But the teams #1 goal should be to win all football games.
While it’s highly unlikely…
What would a 6 game winning streak do for this team going into next season?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.
If you want MHJ so badly then it’s on Monte to figure it out. But the teams #1 goal should be to win all football games.
While it’s highly unlikely…
What would a 6 game winning streak do for this team going into next season?
I'm not saying a 6 game win streak wouldn't have some positive future impact but there will be a ton of roster churn so not really that big of a positive.

Maybe more belief in JG and a small help in FA.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Carson Palmer went one overall. He’s a great lesson for everyone. If he doesn’t play for the Cards, his career is a failure. However, in the right system, he’s a winner.

I don't think Carson Palmer's 60 games as an Arizona Cardinal much changes how anyone outside Arizona remembers his career. Especially when he essentially speed-ran his time with Cincy.

PFR's Career Similarities metric matches him with Drew Bledsoe, which hits right.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I have put the max Cards wins at 5 with 3 or 4 deemed likely.

Below are the games of draft interest by week (aside from the Cards) where the bottom dwellers have a decent chance at a win. Currently, WAS, NYG and TEN are the 4 win teams.

I have included the 5 win teams as well, just in case the Cards (lets say) beat Chicago and then win vs a playoff eliminated SEA at home in Week 18.

We can just assume that in the event of an identical record, the Cards SOS will drop them to the bottom of those teams (in fact, the Cards SOS of .555 is 2nd highest currently behind Cincy).

tonight:
GB at NYG
TEN at MIA Listed only because its tonight

Week 15:
LAC at LV. Two 5 win teams. A tie here would be best.
NYG at NO. Tonight and this game are NYGs best hope for win 5.

Week 16:
NYJ at WAS. We want the Commies to win here and get win 5.

Week 17:
ATL at CHI. Pending CHI previous week game vs the Cards, win 6 here for them is a decent bet.
TEX at TEN. Div game at home for TEN. a double dip with a TEN win here for us.

Week 18:
NYJ at NE. NEs best bet for win 4 over the remainder.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, hate to break this news to you 13 weeks into a 3-10 season, where we all believe this team is paper thin talent-wise everywhere… but this entire team’s off-season plan was “It’s okay to be a loser.”

Nope even though this team was in complete rebuild mode they never went out on the field with the mentality that "It's Okay to be a Loser".

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
The Chicago game on the road may be our last chance at Victory 4. And they will have nothing to play for IMO either.

In the end, I think we will be shutting down Kyler and Conner at some point. That's just what my gut is telling me.
Again, I have to agree with the good Doctor.

Next game with SF I foresee SF winning > 34 - 13. 49er's will be easy on the Cards as they have more important games ahead..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Nope even though this team was in complete rebuild mode they never went out on the field with the mentality that "It's Okay to be a Loser".
Sorry, they specifically built the team in the off-season with the “It’s Okay To Be A Loser”. That doesn’t mean they were built to not play hard. But any Front Office that builds a team to be the least talented in the league, that sacrificed higher picks this year for more picks the next year, drafts players coming off ACLs high in the draft knowing it doesn’t need them that season AND goes the entire offseason with completely washed, never was, injured QB Colt McCoy as the team’s starting QB is saying It’s Okay To Be A Loser that season. Trying to argue otherwise is an exercise in futility or you’re just lying to yourself or unable to admit you’re wrong. Whatever the reason is… that’s what their attitude was this season and their record only backs that up.

I mean… you can’t seriously the team isn’t going into the season with the “It’s okay to be a loser” who decides for months that Colt McCoy is going to be the starting quarterback for at least half the season? Does that move REALLY say to you This Team Is Trying To Win!

and they sure as hell went out in Cleveland with the mentality of it’s okay to be a loser when they started one of the least ready QBs of all time.

And even now, running almost ZERO plays for Kyler to use his feet is STILL saying It’s Okay To Be A Loser. We’ve seen over the course of his career that when Kyler gets a certain amount of runs, his win percentage SKYROCKETS. And we’ve seen that designed QB runs ARE part of the Petzing’s package with Dobbs running them successfully. Yet now, with one of the most dynamic running QBs in the league that’s pretty much gonzo in this offense. Why? Because the team is more interested in evaluating other things Kyler can do, at the expense of winning if need be. That says “It’s okay to be a Loser” even during this season.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, they specifically built the team in the off-season with the “It’s Okay To Be A Loser”. That doesn’t mean they were built to not play hard. But when you actively build a team to be the least talented in the league you’re saying It’s Okay To Be A Loser that season.

and they sure as hell went out in Cleveland with the mentality of it’s okay to be a loser.

Well I 100% disagree with your statement that "It's Okay to be a Loser". That makes is sound like it's OK to go out and not put 100% effort out on the field.

And yes the Browns game was a crap fest. They got beat plain and simple.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I 100% disagree with your statement that "It's Okay to be a Loser". That makes is sound like it's OK to go out and not put 100% effort out on the field.

I'm with you. They should have started the year 3-0, too. Definitely came out swinging and did beat a good Cowboys team early on. I think the guys have bought into what JG is selling and he definitely isn't selling "It's okay to be a loser."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Lol… you just ignored everything else? Again, when you enter a season saying Colt McCoy is your starting QB, the front office CLEARLY believes “It’s Okay To Be A Loser.” Full stop.

And why did they get beat plain and simple? Because they traded away their starting QB for peanuts and had no problem doing so because IT WAS OKAY TO BE A LOSER.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's hilarious that we're getting this fighting spirit when the games don't matter! I wish the FO had the same energy when choosing players for this season.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It's hilarious that we're getting this fighting spirit when the games don't matter! I wish the FO had the same energy when choosing players for this season.
lol

this is just another version of the "are we tanking" argument, which is really an argument over the definition of "tanking"

such is the message board life for a 3 win team

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd