Best Draft For CARDS

OP
OP
S

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Barry Sanders would have no shot behind the current O-Line, so why waste an incredibly low draft pick on a runningback.

draft Carter, then draft olinemen and d-linemen
Barry had worst lines then this one he would have got at least 1200 with this line
Emmit maybe not but Barry was different.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd prepare for Anderson and Carter to go #1 & #2. I think HOU will pursue Jimmy G or trade back up in Round 1 to take a QB maybe Richardson or Levis because Carter or Anderson are better prospects than Stroud.

I think Jimmy G would be a good option for ARZ, he can start until Murray is ready and I would much rather have him as a back up than a 37 year old Colt McCoy.

If Carter & Anderson are gone by #3 I trade down and target Myles Murphy.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My concern is the players production on the field and how that translates to helping the team win as opposed to his draft position. I would rather have a pro bowl caliber guard over a average starter at pass rusher or avg CB. You win games in the NFL by drafting good players regardless of position. Games are not won by winning the mock draft break down segments after the draft. How many teams get A's and B's only to have those players bust after a season or two. Get the best talent coach that talent and win games. PERIOD
agree. I have had this exact discussion several times around here.
if you see a hall of fame type player, you draft him...simple as that. doesnt matter if he is a center or a quarterback or a runningback.

however, when you are looking at multiple high impact players....you draft by positional value.
Anderson, by all accounts, will be every bit the impact player Robinson should be..and at a very high value position. he is also at a position that should give 10-12 years of high level production,... whereas statistically even great runningbacks only give about 6 or 7 seasons.

I would draft Robinson at 3.... but only if anderson and carter are already gone.
seen the kid being compared to Marshall Faulk with how complete his game is, how he can take it over with both running and receiving... the kid is rare.
but thousand yard backs can be had in the third. even if we have to replace them every few years it doesnt touch the value of a top 3 pick.
guys that might be flirting with multiple 15 sack seasons dont drop to the 3rd round. a guy that could get 20 sacks certainly doesnt.

Trade DHop for a top 40 pick,...package it with another pick and move up to 12 or 15?? I would do that too...
This isnt passing on Adrian Peterson for a turnstile OT... it would be more like passing on AD for Vonn Miller...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Barry Sanders would have no shot behind the current O-Line, so why waste an incredibly low draft pick on a runningback.

draft Carter, then draft olinemen and d-linemen
the truth is, Barry never had an offensive line as good as ours was this year. not a single time.

rusfletcher

Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone agrees that we have many needs on both sides of the ball, but I'm convinced that if we don't fix the OL from this draft to protect our diminutive QB we will never know if KM is the longterm answer. I realize it's very likely that he'll miss a good umber of games in 23', but now is the time to fix OL. The OL free agents available are thin and those available are in their thirties. I would like to to trade down to no lower than 7-12, obtain additional pick/picks and select either Skoronski (NW) or Johnson Jr. (OSU), I would even consider Broderick Jones (GA) further down in the round 1. I would really like us to come away with two OL (T,G or C), one each of IDL , Edge, CB and RB.

Our OL has been putrid and understand that injuries have factored into the poor play in both the run game and protection.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. He is overpaid, non-explosive, and oft injured.
Yes. And NO DEFENSE has a game plan to stop James Connor. We definitely need a back that can take it to the house.
Robinson at 3? No way. I really believe we will have a great opportunity to trade down and it won’t be any lower than 7-11. There will be more than one team looking for a quarterback.
At 11 we can get a really good o-lineman or D lineman.
With the extra picks we can trade back up into the 1st round. If Robinson is there great. If not, I really like Jahmer Gibbs. I don’t think he will drop to the second round.
In the second round there will be a good d-lineman or edge if we go o-line in the first.

It appears Anderson is a beast but he alone is not going to turn this defense around. If we could get a good o-lineman, a game breaking rb and and edge rusher that would be awesome.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would draft Robinson at 3.... but only if anderson and carter are already gone.
seen the kid being compared to Marshall Faulk with how complete his game is, how he can take it over with both running and receiving... the kid is rare.
but thousand yard backs can be had in the third. even if we have to replace them every few years it doesnt touch the value of a top 3 pick.
guys that might be flirting with multiple 15 sack seasons dont drop to the 3rd round. a guy that could get 20 sacks certainly doesnt.

Trade DHop for a top 40 pick,...package it with another pick and move up to 12 or 15?? I would do that too...
This isnt passing on Adrian Peterson for a turnstile OT... it would be more like passing on AD for Vonn Miller...
If Anderson/Carter are gone, we would be in a perfect trade down scenario. Someone will covet a QB. I would not draft Robinson at 3 under any circumstance. Falcons and Panthers could need a QB and we could pick up a lot of draft capital.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would have zero issue with a trade back to take Robinson. He is a can't miss talent and I'm not as impressed by Anderson and Carter as everybody else is. Having an elite runningback would be a lot of fun. Fill the trenches with the picks you acquire from trading back and dealing Hopkins.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have zero issue with a trade back to take Robinson. He is a can't miss talent and I'm not as impressed by Anderson and Carter as everybody else is. Having an elite runningback would be a lot of fun. Fill the trenches with the picks you acquire from trading back and dealing Hopkins.
An elite back would make the opposing defense stay honest. It would improve the line play and would help keep our defense off the field.
We need a rb that can turn a 3 yard gain into a 6-7 yard gain on occasion.
That player is not on this team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An elite back would make the opposing defense stay honest. It would improve the line play and would help keep our defense off the field.
Connor can do that. If you want to say that we need an RB that can turn a 3 yard gain to a 50 yard one, I'd agree with you.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connor can do that. If you want to say that we need an RB that can turn a 3 yard gain to a 50 yard one, I'd agree with you.
That too. I like Conner. But he does not strike fear in the hearts of defense. He is not going to turn the 10 yard gain into a 50 yard td.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
How has that worked out for the Giants and Saquon Barkley? He was the best back coming out since Sanders according to a lot of draft experts and the Giants won 5, 4, 6 & 4 games in his first 4 years. They finally are in the playoffs in his fifth year with 9 wins.

An elite back isn't necessary to win a championship in the NFL. The top 3 RBs in yardage this season are all on teams that failed to make the playoffs.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How has that worked out for the Giants and Saquon Barkley? He was the best back coming out since Sanders according to a lot of draft experts and the Giants won 5, 4, 6 & 4 games in his first 4 years. They finally are in the playoffs in his fifth year with 9 wins.

An elite back isn't necessary to win a championship in the NFL. The top 3 RBs in yardage this season are all on teams that failed to make the playoffs.
Okay. But he got hurt annd then spent a year coming back from that. This year he has been a beast And he is a big reason they ARE in the playoffs.

OP
OP
S

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
THAT PART

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Games are won outscoring your opponents
Games are won running the ball
Games are won by better coaching and game planning
Games are won on defense
Games are won by having less turnovers
Games are won by having a good QB
Games are won by having a better roster of players
Games are won in a variety of ways
ANY SMART GM KKNOWS THAT AS WELL.
It starts in the trenches after you get your QB

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd prepare for Anderson and Carter to go #1 & #2. I think HOU will pursue Jimmy G or trade back up in Round 1 to take a QB maybe Richardson or Levis because Carter or Anderson are better prospects than Stroud.

I think Jimmy G would be a good option for ARZ, he can start until Murray is ready and I would much rather have him as a back up than a 37 year old Colt McCoy.

If Carter & Anderson are gone by #3 I trade down and target Myles Murphy.

AZ is, however, not a good option for Jimmy G., who wants a steady starting gig at this point in his career.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Look, JC isn't the best RB we could sign or draft but the OL blocking for him is total crap imo. You bring in a GM that will build a dominant OL & Conner will look even better because he can get yards after contact. He's signed for another couple of years so why use that #3 pick on a RB when both OL & DL need upgrades? Just doesn't logically make sense to me. It could be justified if we were set in the trenches & he is the best player available. Unfortunately that's not the case because Keim has ignored building strong lines for years.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

An elite RB isn’t necessary to win a SB but it’s one road to the promised land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose