Belkin WINS!!!: Judge grants Belkin's Injunction

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The Hawks will probably still sign him to the sheet.

If for no other reason than to screw the Suns with a bad contract.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If this is true then Belkin's issue WAS the contract and not the picks and you wouldn't think the Hawks would still offer the contract.

I agree, it does appear that way, which must mean that the information we got before was incomplete. Oh well. Sorry to doubt you, Chaplin. :p

VinceBlack

Reaction score
This is horrible! I believe the sign and trade would have been great for the suns. I sure hope the suns do not end up with JJ under the proposed contract agreement. Talk about overpaying a player................it wouldn't be worth it.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I don't think Belkin has the ability to sign JJ to an offer sheet over the objections of the other owners--all he's got is veto power.

Things are going to get interesting now. :D
Yeah F-Dog, what if the other owners DON'T want to offer JJ a contract now? Really, it's their only chance to get him now. Who knows? Billy Knight must have just felt like his heart was ripped out. If I was him, I'd be mad enough to think about quitting.... :mad:

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Wow, this is awful. The prospect of an intimidated, overpaid, miserable Joe Johnson stuck in a Suns uninform for five years is truly terrifying.

I'm most afraid of him trying to take over the offense all the time, or start pulling a Vince Carter and just start shucking up three pointers and never driving the lane or passing.

And by the way, welcome back, elindholm. Contrary to the odds in Vegas, there weren't fewer arguments with you gone. However, they were a lot less interesting.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SirChaz said:

The Hawks might very well offer him the sheet to sign, but he'd be a fool to sign it.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
PrimeTime said:
Sorry about the other thread guys, when I logged in, this thread didn't exist yet. Could the mods please delete it?

But back on topic, yes it does appear that things have all turned in favor of the suns. I would imagine that JJ's agent is having a fit right about now. If JJ truly doesn't want to play in phoenix, then now is the time that he will show it the most. He knows that he can't sign the offer sheet from atlanta, or else he would end up back in phoenix. His only other options are to seek a sign and trade from other teams and hope that it compensates the Suns enough from matching.

One thing is for sure now, If he signs the Atlanta sheet knowing all of this, its just for the money.

Hey, I was just teasing you. I was glad you posted to verify what I heard. :)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
SirChaz said:

Do you think now that Belkin has total control he would risk being saddled with that contract?

$20 million up front!

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The Hawks might very well offer him the sheet to sign, but he'd be a fool to sign it.
Why? He would get his $70 million. Why would it matter to JJ if he wants a shot at playing in Atlanta? :(

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
If this is true then Belkin's issue WAS the contract and not the picks and you wouldn't think the Hawks would still offer the contract.

I agree, it does appear that way, which must mean that the information we got before was incomplete. Oh well. Sorry to doubt you, Chaplin. :p

I think Billy King is full of BS and his story was incomplete. He was the one saying that Belkin approved of the contract when in essence he got hung up on.

So when you here click on the other end of the phone it is not a sign of approval Billy.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They (the radio show in Atlanta) are saying the losing Hawks owners are in an attorney's office and trying to get the JJ deal done, somehow...

fordronken

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if they weren't at least trying to negotiate a sign and trade with JJ and another team like New Orleans. If we could somehow get J.R. Smith and Dan Dickau, I'd be doing backflips.

Another option would be a draft pick with P.J. Brown(who only has a couple years left) and Dickau. That'd make me pretty happy as well.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Anyone think Isiah Thomas calling the Suns right now??? :biglaugh:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Another option would be a draft pick with P.J. Brown(who only has a couple years left) and Dickau. That'd make me pretty happy as well.

I wouldn't mind that one.

I also wouldn't mind Magloire and Dickau, but I don't believe the money would work.

A frontcourt consisting of Amare, Shawn, Kurt and either PJ Brown or Jamaal Magloire would be the best in the NBA.

fordronken

Reaction score
I know it's a little blown out of context, but Amare saying in his interview that they don't need Joe Johnson back can't make Joe any happier.

fordronken

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I wouldn't mind that one.

I also wouldn't mind Magloire and Dickau, but I don't believe the money would work.

A frontcourt consisting of Amare, Shawn, Kurt and either PJ Brown or Jamaal Magloire would be the best in the NBA.

Are the Hornets under the cap right now? I feel like they only have like 4 players under contract.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Are the Hornets under the cap right now? I feel like they only have like 4 players under contract.

According to RealGM, they are under the cap, but actually have more players than we have (not including JJ).

PrimeTime

Rookie
Reaction score
I dont know whether to be happy or disapointed about the turn of events. Clearly there is danger in JJ ending back in Phoenix. He could really stick it to the suns big time by playing half-ass throughout the season. But would he? From his past performances, probrably not. But there is that possibility, and I know that a day doesn't go by that Saver doesn't think about it.

As far as Billy knight, he is at fault for this, IMO. When an owner hangs up before you finish speaking, that is a pretty clear signal that he doesn't approve of the deal. Why go ahead and make the deal with the hawks, knowing that he doesn't like it? Knight was TOO eager to do this deal. He should have discussed it more amongst Belkin and the other owners and made no commitment until he knew for sure that everybody was on the same page.

Because of his lack of patience, it came back to bite him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:
I'd be very surprised if they weren't at least trying to negotiate a sign and trade with JJ and another team like New Orleans. If we could somehow get J.R. Smith and Dan Dickau, I'd be doing backflips.

I can almost guarantee that the Phoenix Suns don't want P.J. Brown now that they have Kurt Thomas. Brown will make $9 million per season for the next 2-3 years.

It looks like it's going to take some creativity here. The only thing that would truly upset me is if the Phoenix Suns get significantly less than what they had already agreed upon in a sign and trade deal, or even worse if JJ signs the one-year tender.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
PrimeTime said:
I dont know whether to be happy or disapointed about the turn of events. Clearly there is danger in JJ ending back in Phoenix. He could really stick it to the suns big time by playing half-ass throughout the season. But would he? From his past performances, probrably not. But there is that possibility, and I know that a day doesn't go by that Saver doesn't think about it.

As for as Billy knight, he is at fault for this, IMO. When an owner hangs up before you finish speaking, that is a pretty clear signal that he doesn't approve of the deal. Why go ahead and make the deal with the hawks, knowing that he doesn't like it? Knight was TOO eager to do this deal. He should have discussed it more amongst Belkin and the other owners and made no commitment until he knew for sure that everybody was on the same page.

Because of his lack of patience, it came back to bite him.

Also, if you are the Suns and he calls with a new deal, do you trust him, AGAIN? :shrug:

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I can almost guarantee that the Phoenix Suns don't want P.J. Brown now that they have Kurt Thomas. Brown will make $9 million per season for the next 2-3 years.

It looks like it's going to take some creativity here. The only thing that would truly upset me is if the Phoenix Suns get significantly less than what they had already agreed upon in a sign and trade deal, or even worse if JJ signs the one-year tender.

Joe Mama
Creativity? Maybe if we get a three way getting us KG, Shaq, or Lebron, would be OK! :thumbup:

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Definitely. If he still signs an offer sheet from them at this point he either is completely clueless or he does have some very serious reason for wanting to be in Atlanta. If I were he, I would scared to death about the future right now.

Hopefully if he does end up still on the Suns, he will be very penitent and with a little less ego. To me this is still the best option for the Suns from a basketball perspective, if not financial. But if what Sarver said is correct, he may be less tight than what we've perceived him to be. Maybe he is willing to spend to have a winner. All of those extra nationally televised games ought to help!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
or even worse if JJ signs the one-year tender.

What would be so bad about that? They'd still have his Bird rights, so he and his agent would still have incentive next summer to go the sign-and-trade route, giving the Suns compensation. I'd much rather have Johnson at one year for $3.2 million than at five years for $70 million.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz