Being There

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon.com
Thanks to an extraordinary, delicately balanced performance by Peter Sellers, Being There received mixed reviews during its theatrical release in 1979, but has since become a celebrated comedy with a loyal following. It's one of the most unusual black comedies ever made, simply because it stretches a simple premise over 130 minutes of straight-faced, strangely compelling commentary on politics, media, and celebrity in media-savvy America. Adapted by Jerzy Kozinsky from his own novel, the movie's about a simple-minded, middle-aged gardener who, after a lifetime of seclusion and safety in a Washington, D.C. townhouse, gets his first exposure to reality beyond the walls of his sheltered existence. His only reference to the world is through his childlike addiction to television, and when a chance encounter brings him into the inner fold of a dying billionaire (Melvyn Douglas), he suddenly finds himself the toast of Washington's political elite. His simple phrases about gardening are misinterpreted as anything from economic predictions to sage political advice, and under the sharp direction of Hal Ashby, Sellers has the audacity to take this comedic conceit to its logical extreme. Being There is not for all tastes--especially not for those who don't appreciate comedic subtlety. But as a showcase for the daring genius of Peter Sellers, this is a classic movie in a category all its own. --Jeff Shannon

I recently watched it. Loved it! I thought it was a little Forest Gumpish.

The old commercials and tv shows were great. I had totally forgotten that Gatorade used to come in a glass jar. His first trip down the sidewalk was hilarious. "Excuse me, I'm very hungry. Can you make me some breakfast?"

At first I wasn't sure I liked the last scene, but after thinking about it for a while I think it was perfect.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078841/

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hated it.

I didn't like it. It was such a huge deal when it came out. Everyone was talking about it. At the end of the movie I thought, "That's it?" It was a huge disappointment to me because of all the word of mouth and build-up and it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be.

My favorite Peter Sellers movie is "The Party". If I see that on DVD I'm definitely putting it in my collection.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't like it. It was such a huge deal when it came out. Everyone was talking about it. At the end of the movie I thought, "That's it?" It was a huge disappointment to me because of all the word of mouth and build-up and it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be.

My favorite Peter Sellers movie is "The Party". If I see that on DVD I'm definitely putting it in my collection.

"The Mouse That Roared" would be my favorite Sellers film.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dr. Strangelove, bar none!

Who let O in here!!! You can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!

:D

I' forgot about the Good Dr...... It's my favorite as well..... The Mouse That Roared comes in 2nd.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Who let O in here!!! You can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!

:D

I' forgot about the Good Dr...... It's my favorite as well..... The Mouse That Roared comes in 2nd.

:biglaugh:

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!