Bayless has right to be steamed

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Bayless has right to be steamed

Anthony Gimino
Tucson Citizen
Feb. 10, 2008 07:08 PM

The Arizona basketball players proudly have talked about how they are completely unlike last season's team. It's prove-it time.

Through this season's almost unbelievable ebb and flow, the Wildcats have crashed on the rocks, suffering the indignity of a sweep at the hands of Arizona State.

Sunday's game almost turned into a performance of Jerryd Bayless and the Miracles . . . except there weren't any miracles. Bayless' teammates shot 3 of 23 from the field. Arizona lost 59-54, despite a UA freshman record 39 points from Bayless.
You must be registered for see images

Bayless, rarely effusive after any game, was steamed in the locker room, delivering shorter, curter answers than usual.

"Yeah, I'm pissed right now," he said. "We lost to ASU two times in a row this year."

Bayless didn't play in the first game, a 64-59 overtime loss in Tempe.

Point guard Nic Wise didn't play in the rematch, certainly a factor, but his absence doesn't excuse the shoddy effort and execution from seven other Wildcats not named Bayless.

"We just gave in," said interim coach Kevin O'Neill. "It was a one-point game at halftime and they came out and set the tempo in the second half and got us on our heels."

That's exactly what would have happened to last season's team. It gave in.

It bickered. It didn't play hard.

Winning, as UA has mostly done while coach Lute Olson is on a season-long leave of absence, masks many problems. Losing exposes them.

Arizona has taken a 1-2 punch - the 82-60 wipeout at UCLA last week and Sunday's squandering of a 16-point first-half lead -- and you wonder if the big, happy family will continue to be a big, happy family.

"We have to get on the same page right now, because we're definitely not," Bayless said.

Asked about it further, he answered:

"I think some people have some more things that are more important right about now than basketball. I don't know if it's on the court or off the court, but there's something we're not on the same page with.

"We'll address it next time in practice. We haven't addressed anything yet."

Yeah, the Wildcats are shorthanded. Who knows what, if anything, they will get the rest of the way from two of their top six players - forward Bret Brielmaier (shoulder) and Wise (knee).

Arizona has no margin of error, and when Chase Budinger can't buy a basket and shoots 1 of 12 from the field, that's a heck of a lot of error.

Jordan Hill, where are you?

UA's big man hasn't cracked double-digit points in five of the past six games.

Against ASU, he picked up two fouls in the first 5 minutes, 17 seconds - the second one was a bad call - and that allowed ASU big man Jeff Pendergraph to take over.

When Hill came back in the second half, Pendergraph still dominated, with so many dunks he should take home a rim as a souvenir for his career-high 29 points.

"We're not playing any defense whatsoever," Bayless said, also chiding himself for not getting some stops. "We're giving up easy buckets after easy buckets."

If there was one thing O'Neill could have done differently, it would be to bring back Hill in the first half with two fouls. O'Neill has been consistent with not doing that, but the results indicate a change might be needed.

"It's on us," said senior guard Jawann McClellan. "It all what we did. We didn't go out there and perform."

This is the part where it might be reassuring to say it was a fluke, that ASU got lucky, twice playing the Wildcats when they were missing a key player.

It might also be comforting to hear "Wait till next year!"

But this season has brought so many surprises, you don't know what tomorrow is going to bring, let alone next season. Lute or no Lute?

Bayless or no Bayless? Budinger or no Budinger?

After the teams had left the court Sunday, a fan from the student section yelled out, "We're still better."

No, UA is not and it's not productive to think that that way.

It's become something of a joke in these parts how the Phoenix media, over the past 20 years, has written "the gap is closing" so many times that they're now like that broken clock that is right twice a day. They're finally right.

"ASU, the school and the program, they're starting to come together," Bayless said.

As for the Wildcats, are they starting to come apart?

Damn this kid is all heart. I'm guessing he is rethinking his choice to not become the next Kevin Durant (teamed up with DJ) for Mack Brown.:(

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
Pathetic effort to say the least. Did the cats play a game last night that I'm not aware of? They looked tired out there and totally uninspired. If it weren't for Jerryd, the game would have been a blowout with the "effort" out there. Hill was dismal and the high screen and roll was never defended once. That play was like watching a nerd ask a hottie out for a date over and over. You sit there and say, no, just stop it, don't do that, you are making yourself look like an idiot. You yell and yell but there's nothing you can do about it.

I hope Jerryd stays, Lute comes back, and Jordan runs nothing but 100 wind sprints ever single day in the offseason. Oh, and I hope Kevin O'Neill is dropped as the succeeding head coach.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To think Jordan Hill is thinking of leaving after this season to enter the NBA draft.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least some'll dominate in the NBA, right AF? What happens in the minors (read NCAA) isn't that important to "tha U" ;)

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
At least some'll dominate in the NBA, right AF? What happens in the minors (read NCAA) isn't that important to "tha U" ;)

Well I wouldn't say that although the past 5 years thats about all we got.

Although I would think Bill Self and the program you cheer for in general should have a ring or two since '88 before we start getting too full ourselves.

We still got '97:thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize this at first but if you note, UA had 15 baskets yesterday. Bayless made 12 of them, and had 3 assists, so he either made or assisted on EVERY basket UA made!

That's pretty incredible.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good article. Bayless is a stud. A freak. A winner. A lottery pick if he comes out early, as he will.

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
I didn't realize this at first but if you note, UA had 15 baskets yesterday. Bayless made 12 of them, and had 3 assists, so he either made or assisted on EVERY basket UA made!

That's pretty incredible.

No, that's just sad because that means there were only 15 baskets and nobody else stepped up. It would be incredible if the # were 25+.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that's just sad because that means there were only 15 baskets and nobody else stepped up. It would be incredible if the # were 25+.

Well sure in a 54 point game it's hard to say anything is incredible but I know I've never seen a college game where one player accounted for every single basket his team scored.

That's what I meant by incredible.

The closest I recall was a California State final in HS where Tracy Murray scored 64 of his teams 69 points but that was HS and I don't think he had any assists.