Baseball Winter Meetings Happenings

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Cardinals re-sign Carpenter

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) - St. Louis Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty looked at the price of pitching on the free-agent market and decided to throw his money at a guy he already had.

The Cardinals announced a five-year deal with 2005 NL Cy Young Award winner Chris Carpenter on Monday, locking him up through the 2011 season for about $65 million. The deal also includes a club option for 2012 that would bring the total value to $77 million.
"It was important for us to show what we think of him," Jocketty said on the first day of baseball's winter meetings.

Carpenter was 15-8 with a 3.09 ERA last season, finishing third in Cy Young balloting and helping the Cardinals win their first World Series title in 24 years. He was 3-1 with a 2.78 ERA in five postseason starts, including the clincher in the division series against the Padres and eight shutout innings in Game 3 of the World Series against the Tigers.

St. Louis has made the playoffs in each of his three years there, reaching the World Series twice.

"This is a place you're going to have an opportunity to win every year," Carpenter said during a conference call with reporters stationed at the meetings outside of Orlando. "Winning the World Series is the best feeling I've ever had playing sports. I'd love to do it again."

Carpenter had been signed for $7 million in 2007 with a $9 million option for '08. But with pitchers such as Adam Eaton getting more than $8 million per year from the Phillies, Carpenter might have made more if he pitched out his contract and hit the free-agent market.

"I don't know how much is enough," he said. "I'm comfortable here, my family's comfortable here, and we have an opportunity to win here."

Carpenter led the NL with a 1.81 ERA at home last season, and was tied for the league lead with three shutouts overall. In three years with St. Louis he is 51-18 with a 3.10 ERA in 93 starts and the Cardinals are 65-27, a winning percentage of .707, during that span.

His 36 victories the last two seasons are tied for first in the major leagues with Jon Garland of the Chicago White Sox.

"Chris is one of the elite pitchers in all of baseball," Cardinals chairman William O. DeWitt said. "In addition to becoming just the second Cardinal to win a Cy Young Award, Chris has been the leader of our pitching staff and we are pleased that he will continue in that role for the next five seasons."

The Cardinals signed Carpenter as a free agent in 2003 even though he was recovering from shoulder surgery, and he missed that entire season. He rewarded them with a 15-win season in 2004 before a biceps injury knocked him out of the postseason.

"It's an honor. It's nice to know they believe in me this much to keep me around for five more years," he said. "Any security is good security, no matter how long it is. Getting here from the situation I've been in, it's a great feeling. It lets you relax and concentrate on what you need to do, and that's relax and pitch. There's no other worry."

Jocketty said taking a chance on Carpenter and Jeff Suppan made the championship possible. Suppan, the MVP of the NL championship series, was originally signed for two years and $6 million.

"We wouldn't have had the success we've had if we hadn't signed those guys," he said.

Padres Lure Maddux Away From Dodgers

The Padres are closing in on a major off-season coup, nearing an agreement with free-agent right-hander Greg Maddux, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal, which would be a significant blow to the Dodgers, the Padres' NL West rival, will be for either one or two years, or possibly one year with a club option.
Pitching for both the Cubs and Dodgers in 2006, Maddux posted a record of 15-14 with a 4.20 earned run average and 117 strikeouts in 210 innings pitched.

Maddux, who has a home in the San Diego area, has a record of 333-203 and an ERA of 3.30 over his 21-year career.

Mariners kick off Winter Meetings by signing Guillen

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) - Seattle signed Jose Guillen to a one-year, $5.5 million contract Monday with a mutual option for the 2008 season, giving the Mariners a starting right fielder and reliable bat in the middle of the order.

The announcement of the deal was the first formal signing of the four-day baseball winter meetings that began Monday. Guillen missed much of the 2006 season following reconstructive surgery on his right elbow - and his addition is only a start for Seattle, which also is looking to upgrade its starting rotation.

The contract allows Guillen to earn up to $3 million in performance bonuses. He will take over right field from Ichiro Suzuki, who is moving to center field.

"He fits real well in our lineup among (Raul) Ibanez, (Richie) Sexson and (Adrian) Beltre," manager Mike Hargrove said in a statement. "Considering the production he has shown in his career, it's a significant acquisition for us. He plays the game with a lot of passion and heart - he's not afraid to stick his nose in there."

The 30-year-old Guillen batted .216 in 69 games last season during his second year with the Washington Nationals, hitting nine home runs and 40 RBIs before his elbow injury.

He underwent a thorough physical with the Mariners' medical staff and the team believes he will return to full strength for 2007.

"We feel like this is a signing with some real upside," general manager Bill Bavasi said. "Our doctors have given him a very complete physical and we are very confident he's healthy. When Jose has been healthy in his career he's put up numbers."

During one season with the Los Angeles Angels in 2004, Guillen had several run-ins with manager Mike Scioscia that ended with Guillen being left off the roster for the division series against the New York Yankees after being suspended for the final eight games of the regular season. The team punished him for a tantrum he threw in the dugout and clubhouse after being removed for a pinch-runner on Sept. 25 that year.

Guillen was suspended for one game and fined late in 2005 for throwing a tantrum - and a lot of equipment - during a game against the New York Mets.

Guillen is a career .272 hitter with 143 home runs. He also played for the Oakland Athletics and Cincinnati Reds in 2003, as well as Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Arizona.

Rangers re-up Padilla, set sites on Zito

The Rangers are closing in on their first major free-agent signing of the off-season, nearing an agreement with free-agent right-hander Vicente Padilla on a three-year contract worth approximately $34 million, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal is expected to include a club option for a fourth year.
Padilla had a record of 15-10 with a 4.50 earned-run average and 156 strikeouts over 200 innings pitched for the Rangers in 2006. Over his eight-year major-league career, Padilla has an ERA of 4.06 and a win-loss record of 66-61.

Padilla was originally acquired by the Rangers in a trade on Dec. 12, 2005 from the Phillies in exchange for right-hander Ricardo Rodriguez.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Just a few comments--

Maddux to the Padres is a good coup for San Diego. Question is will this be a precursor to a bigger deal which would land Manny Ramirez in San Diego?

Zito and Padilla make the Ranger pitching staff better, and I think Thomas Diamond could grow around these two.

Guillen, I've never seen a guy who switches teams as often as he does. This guy has a chronic attitude problem and alienates teammates and managers very quickly. He's 28 and by this point, by the time he hits 40, he'll be able to say he's played for every team in baseball.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
The Angels are close to making a trade with the Braves that will send Casey Kotchman and Chone Figgins to Atlanta for Adam LaRoche.

I actually like this move for both teams. LaRoche is a good #3 hitter who will offer Vlad protection in the lineup. He's also capable of playing both 1st and 3rd.

I'm a huge fan of Figgins, and Kotchman desperately needs a change of scenery.

Good deal all around. Real good deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Three Way Deal, Just Reported--

Pittsburgh gets OF Brad Hawpe

Chicago (Cubs) get Jason Jennings

Rockies get Jacque Jones, Carlos Marmol and Paul Maholm

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Maddox stays in the west. Look forward to watching him get bombed at least a couple of times at Chase next year.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
ORLANDO, FLA. – The Diamondbacks have a great view of the pond from their rooms at Disney’s Swan and Dolphin resort, and have met with several teams in their two days at baseball’s winter meetings.http://spinbox.freedom.com/?RC=55036615&AI=5593&RANDOM=100657578585801About all they have accomplished, however, is introducing veteran executive Bob Gebhardt to sushi.

The market for ex-D-Back Luis Gonzalez, meanwhile, appears to be gaining steam, and a deal could be done by Thursday.

Gonzalez’s representatives had meetings scheduled with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Baltimore and St. Louis, and that there has been contact with San Francisco, although general manager Brian Sabean said Monday he is interested in bringing back Barry Bonds.

Gonzalez, who has expressed a desire to stay in the NL West, appears to have emerged as a top candidate to play left field for the Dodgers, who have talked to Boston about acquiring Manny Ramirez.

The Dodgers have balked at the Red Sox’s asking price, a package that is said to include top outfield prospect Matt Kemp and righthander Chad Billingsley, among others.

The Dodgers and Red Sox met Monday morning to give the Dodgers a quick read on the possibility of a deal.

Baltimore’s offer to Gonzalez is for one year, and Gonzalez said Saturday that a one-year deal could be acceptable.

Potential employers might not want to tie up more than one year because outfielders Vernon Wells, Andruw Jones and Torii Hunter will become free agents in 2008.

D-Backs GM Josh Byrnes said his team has a deal or two they could make to bolster the back end of the rotation and the bullpen, but not at the current price.

“We do have some balls in the air. Virtually all of our targets have been pitchers,” Byrnes said.

One of the targets might be Mark Mulder, but the D-Backs have not made an offer, sources said, and it is unclear how they view him. The D-Backs are believed to have seen the medical reports on Mulder over the weekend. Byrnes would not confirm that.

Nor would he say when Mulder might be able to pitch this season after undergoing shoulder surgery Sept. 12, an issue that appears to be clouding negotiations.

Mulder, who has a gentleman’s agreement with St. Louis that he will not accept its offer of arbitration, would like to settle into a situation before his wedding later this month, his representatives indicated, although it is uncertain if that is doable.

The D-Backs do not appear to have interest in free agent starters Tomo Ohka or Rodrigo Lopez, and also believe that Miguel Batista will not accept their offer of arbitration. The deadline is Thursday. Kansas City is among the teams interested in Batista.

The Angels were said to be interested in Chad Tracy, but D-Backs officials said there had been no contact.

Tracy’s contract — he has three years remaining at $13.25 million, including a $1 million buyout in 2010 — makes him a very desirable quantity, both to the D-Backs and to a potential trading partner, because of the volatility of the market.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=80085

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Winter Meetings Whispers: Day 2
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/tickets/index.jsp

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- A possible decision by free-agent left-hander Andy Pettitte, the latest Manny Ramirez theories and various trade scenarios were the most persistent whispers of Day 2 of the Winter Meetings.

No major deals went down as of 3 p.m. ET Tuesday, but plenty of conversations left the possibility for movement.
"It's always been my experience that between now and tomorrow midday, that's when a lot of stuff gets either momentum or it gets crushed," Kansas City general manager Dayton Moore said Tuesday afternoon. "And if it gets crushed, it's done."
Here are the latest whispers from the lobby of the Dolphin Hotel awaiting that dispensation:

• Pettitte, who is considering retirement, but has offers from the Yankees (one year, $15 million) and Astros (unspecified), is expected to make a decision before Christmas, but multiple sources indicated Pettitte could decide soon, perhaps within a week.
Phil Garner spoke with Pettitte last week and the Houston manager said Tuesday that he sensed Pettitte was leaning toward returning to the mound next season rather than retirement.
"The first few times I talked to him, he wasn't sure he was going to play," Garner said. "He said he was going to make the decision later. The most recent conversation, he was more than leaning, he was really considering coming back and playing. I guess he hadn't made a definitive decision -- 'Yes, I'm definitely coming back to play' -- but it was more like, 'I'm getting very seriously interested in doing it.'"
Pettitte's return would obviously impact the winter strategy of either team should they sign him. Houston would likely cease the team's pursuit of free-agent right-hander Jason Schmidt and lessen chances of a trade for Colorado right-hander Jason Jennings. Were the Yankees to land Pettitte, it might take them out of the Barry Zito sweepstakes.

• The Mets and Yankees are interested in White Sox lefty Mark Buehrle.

• The Angels could be involved in a three-way deal with the Nationals and Red Sox with Manny Ramirez going to the Angels. The Nationals and Red Sox would love to have Ervin Santana, who was 16-8 with a 4.28 ERA last season, but the Angels are loathe to part with the right-hander. Seattle is another possible destination for Ramirez, though those talks apparently never really got off the ground.

• The Phillies and Brewers are believed to be mulling a trade involving pitcher Jon Lieber and Brewers outfielder Kevin Mench.

• Adam La Roche's name continues to come up in trade talks. This time it was Baltimore that expressed interest in the Atlanta first baseman. The Orioles were considering sending Brian Roberts and Hayden Penn to Atlanta for La Roche and Marcus Giles, but the Braves weren't interested.

• The Royals are interested in outfielder Ryan Church of the Nationals.

• Aaron Rowand of the Phillies could be a target for the Cubs, who are seeking a center fielder.

• Free-agent reliever Eric Gagne is drawing interest from Boston and Cleveland.

• Arizona is among the teams considering free-agent lefty Mark Mulder.

• The Padres are believed to be the front-runners to sign free-agent right-hander Greg Maddux.
• A reported three-team deal that would send Jennings to the Cubs, right fielder Brad Hawpe and either Carlos Mormol or Angel Guzman to the Pirates, with the Rockies receiving Cubs right fielder Jacque Jones and Pirates starter Paul Maholm was shot down by officials from two of the teams.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...ontent_id=1751300&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three Way Deal, Just Reported--

Pittsburgh gets OF Brad Hawpe

Chicago (Cubs) get Jason Jennings

Rockies get Jacque Jones, Carlos Marmol and Paul Maholm

Please watch what you say when you report rumors. As far as I can tell the above trade has not been completed. This is the third instance I can recall when you've posted something that wasn't 100% accurate (previously the Burrell trade and a Suns draft day trade).

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Please watch what you say when you report rumors. As far as I can tell the above trade has not been completed. This is the third instance I can recall when you've posted something that wasn't 100% accurate (previously the Burrell trade and a Suns draft day trade).

Thats extactly what he's posting, a rumor. Rumors are what they are- RUMORS. They hold no merit and are rampid in the offseason. Most posts on ASFN are rumors or speculation. SD Jay is only posting what he's reading through the media and he's providing links.

Loosen up, if people can't talk about rumors then there wouldn't be Espn, Fox Sports, Sports Illustrated, ASFN.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats extactly what he's posting, a rumor. Rumors are what they are- RUMORS. They hold no merit and are rampid in the offseason. Most posts on ASFN are rumors or speculation. SD Jay is only posting what he's reading through the media and he's providing links.

Loosen up, if people can't talk about rumors then there wouldn't be Espn, Fox Sports, Sports Illustrated, ASFN.

I don't read that post as a rumor. "Just reported" implies to me that a reporter (with valid sources) has said the deal will happen. If it is just a rumor, there are plenty of ways to indicate that (with words/phrases like "in the works", "close to deal", or simply "rumor").

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I don't read that post as a rumor. "Just reported" implies to me that a reporter (with valid sources) has said the deal will happen. If it is just a rumor, there are plenty of ways to indicate that (with words/phrases like "in the works", "close to deal", or simply "rumor").

Rox, Bucs tamp down multi-team deal: A reported three-team deal that would send Jennings to the Cubs, right fielder Brad Hawpe and either Carlos Marmol or Angel Guzman to the Pirates, with the Rockies receiving Cubs right fielder Jacque Jones and Pirates starter Paul Maholm, was shot down by officials from two of the teams.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...ontent_id=1751300&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

This deal was reported last night on ESPN.com and also on Sportscenter by Peter Gammons. Thats prob why SD Jay worded it that way

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

Don't shoot the messenger.

In all three situations, the deal was reported as being "done" by someone other than me, so I was passing the message along from the third party (ESPN, Bob Kemp, WIP Radio Host).

Anyhow, another rumored deal in the works..

Phillies would get:
SP Freddy Garcia

White Sox would get:
CF Aaron Rowand
-AND-
P Ryan Madson
-OR-
P Gavin Floyd

If the Phils get Garcia, they'd immediately trade right-hander Jon Lieber, possibly to Milwaukee for Kevin Mench, a native of Delaware, and Derrick Turnbow, a one-time Phillies farmhand who lost his closer job after being named to the 2006 NL All-Star team.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drew signs with Boston.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/12/05/drew.redsox/index.html

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- J.D. Drew completed his long-talked-about deal with the Boston Red Sox, agreeing to a five-year, $70 million offer (pending a physical) to be their right fielder, SI.com has learned.

Drew stirred some controversy when he opted out of the $33 million and three years remaining on his Dodgers deal after the season. Dodgers GM Ned Colletti complained that Drew had told a coach he liked Los Angeles and wanted to stay. However, had Drew remained in Los Angeles, he would have forfeited an extra $37 million in guaranteed money that's now coming to him.

Drew batted .283 with 20 home runs and 100 RBI and has long been cited as one of baseball's more talented players. However, some will question whether his laid-back demeanor is right for Boston.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger.

In all three situations, the deal was reported as being "done" by someone other than me, so I was passing the message along from the third party (ESPN, Bob Kemp, WIP Radio Host).

Anyhow, another rumored deal in the works..

Phillies would get:
SP Freddy Garcia

White Sox would get:
CF Aaron Rowand
-AND-
P Ryan Madson
-OR-
P Gavin Floyd

If the Phils get Garcia, they'd immediately trade right-hander Jon Lieber, possibly to Milwaukee for Kevin Mench, a native of Delaware, and Derrick Turnbow, a one-time Phillies farmhand who lost his closer job after being named to the 2006 NL All-Star team.

If that trade goes through, the White Sox absolutely own the Phillies. The sox got Thome and a crap load of cash, a great pitching prospect, and Rowand for Garcia. Ouch, nice job Gillick.

I read on one of the winter meetings sites (either ESPN or MLB) that the Cubs have interest in Rowand. Also read that the Mets and Yankees have interest in Buerhle although I'd find it hard to believe they'd trade both Garcia and Buerhle

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason I have a good feeling that we'll sign Mulder. Byrnes said in the paper today that he doesn't like our chances of signing Mulder. IMO, thats just a smokescreen and he's diverting attention. MLB.com and ESPN.com specifically noted that we were the most active in talking to Mulders agent. In fact, they didn't even list another team thats has talked with Clifton about Mulder. Byrnes and Co. spent a night reviewing his medical records, Byrnes has made it clear his agenda at the meeting is solely a starting pitcher, Mulder continues to say he wants to pitch in AZ and wants to sign before his wedding in a month, Byrnes publicly said today he has zero interest in signing Ohka or trading for Rodrigo Lopez (thank God), Batista is getting a lot of attention from St Louis and Kansas City and appears all but gone, etc..... It almost seems that Mulder is more interested in us then we are in him. If we don't sign Mulder, our options are extremely limited (which is another reason I think we sign him).

This all may be wishful thinking on my part but it seems that Mulder is sitting around waiting for an offer from us to sign. I have complete trust in Byrnes and all the signs point to Mulder pitching in Arizona next year. Hopefully this can come to fruition

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
If that trade goes through, the White Sox absolutely own the Phillies. The sox got Thome and a crap load of cash, a great pitching prospect, and Rowand for Garcia. Ouch, nice job Gillick.

Yeah, I GOTTA believe that somehow Joe Crede or Josh Fields is going to be involved. Sorry, but Garcia's not worth the ultimate price they'd have paid to get him.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
For some reason I have a good feeling that we'll sign Mulder. Byrnes said in the paper today that he doesn't like our chances of signing Mulder. IMO, thats just a smokescreen and he's diverting attention. MLB.com and ESPN.com specifically noted that we were the most active in talking to Mulders agent. In fact, they didn't even list another team thats has talked with Clifton about Mulder. Byrnes and Co. spent a night reviewing his medical records, Byrnes has made it clear his agenda at the meeting is solely a starting pitcher, Mulder continues to say he wants to pitch in AZ and wants to sign before his wedding in a month, Byrnes publicly said today he has zero interest in signing Ohka or trading for Rodrigo Lopez (thank God), Batista is getting a lot of attention from St Louis and Kansas City and appears all but gone, etc..... It almost seems that Mulder is more interested in us then we are in him. If we don't sign Mulder, our options are extremely limited (which is another reason I think we sign him).

This all may be wishful thinking on my part but it seems that Mulder is sitting around waiting for an offer from us to sign. I have complete trust in Byrnes and all the signs point to Mulder pitching in Arizona next year. Hopefully this can come to fruition

Batista got a contract offer from the Royals for $8 million per year. I'd say he's all but gone (good for him though)

As for Mulder I agree with you this is negotiating tactics by both sides trying to get a deal done. Dbacks want a fair rate so they make it appear as though they need him that badly and Mulder's agent is making it appear that he's getting alot of attention from other clubs trying to get the most money out of us.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
The Royals breaking out the bucks????

Damn... That's the only word I can think of here that fits.. Damn.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
3 years, $24 million

Reported on ESPNews earlier today.

I read that the Cardinals were after him when they found out how interested the Royals were. I wouldn't be surprised if they matched that or if Batista took a discount to go there. Batista is better then both Weaver and Suppan, IMO.

Did he sign or is that what the Royals offered?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I read that the Cardinals were after him when they found out how interested the Royals were. I wouldn't be surprised if they matched that or if Batista took a discount to go there. Batista is better then both Weaver and Suppan, IMO.

Did he sign or is that what the Royals offered?

Just an offer

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great stuff guys. Thanks for the updates.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLA. - The Diamondbacks have yet to make a move here, not that they are not trying. General manager Josh Byrnes said he had conversations with “eight to 10 teams” Tuesday, admitting “usually we initiate” the trade discussions while also admitting he would be “somewhat” disappointed if he did not make a deal.http://spinbox.freedom.com/?RC=55036615&AI=5637&RANDOM=126437055907995Texas emerged as a possible trade partner by inquiring about young right-handers Dustin Nippert and Micah Owings, two of the longer-shot candidates for the final two spots in the D-Backs’ 2007 starting rotation if the staff remains as constituted.

The D-Backs are seeking a back-of-the-rotation starter or bullpen help, although the Rangers appear loath to deal closer Akinori Otsuka or prospect C. J. Wilson from their deep pool of relievers.

“That’s a group we get asked about a fair amount,” general manager Josh Byrnes said of his stable of young starters that includes Nippert, Owings, Enrique Gonzalez and Edgar Gonzalez.

“Those guys give us quality and flexible depth. We’re not in a hurry to break it up. But if there is something out there that makes us better …”

The D-Backs had “just brief” conversations with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on Tuesday, and appeared to imply that talks regarding third baseman Chad Tracy were going nowhere.

The D-Backs met again Tuesday with the representatives for Mark Mulder, but their inability to include incentive clauses in any new contracts may put them at a competitive disadvantage against other suitors.

“That’s probably the type of situation that proves the greatest challenge,” Byrnes said of the contract constraints, “but we can figure out a solution.”

One solution could be a minimum 2007 salary with a large team option in 2008 that would in essence consider both years as a single term, but it is unknown if either side would accept that. The D-Backs say they will keep working.

“We can figure out a way to construct it that fits both sides,” said Byrnes, who has not seen all of Mulder’s medical files and has not made an offer.

“We like our club. We’re close enough that we feel if we get a little better and get a little luck, we can win this thing,” he said off the NL West.

Of a potential trade, partner Ken Kendrick said: “We could probably see finding somebody who is capable of being a closer but who has not earned his spurs as a closer yet.”

The D-Backs have spoken to the agent for free agent reliever Keith Foulke, a premier closer in Chicago, Oakland and Boston before health issues hampered him the last two seasons.

“We’ve talked to quite a few teams,” agent Dan Horwits said. “His main priority would be to close. He’s weighing the offers.”

The D-Backs have not made an offer, Horwits said.

Foulke has had knee and elbow issues the last two seasons and was replaced as the Red Sox’s closer by Jonathan Papelbon the first week of the 2006 season.

SNAKE BITES: Luis Gonzalez’s representatives met with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Baltimore Orioles and had an evening meeting scheduled with World Series champion St. Louis on Tuesday, amid talk that the Dodgers had not made a formal offer. Baltimore’s offer is for one year believed to be in the $7 million ballpark. . .

Miguel Batista has been offered a three-year, $24 million contract by St. Louis, FOXSports.com reported, and Kansas City also is making a strong push for Batista as a starter, meaning he almost certainly will decline the D-Backs’ offer of arbitration. . .

D-Backs fourth outfielder Jeff DaVanon, who missed the final eight weeks of the 2006 season with a split tendon in his left ankle that required surgery, is not expected to be ready when spring training starts, manager Bob Melvin said.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=80144

I thought I had heard St. Louis had offered him the 3 year, $24 million contract. Even if the dollar amount between KC and SL is close, you would have to think he would sign with St Louis.

Someone in the front office is dragging their feet over the contract situation with Mulder. I would have to believe that Kendrick is the one who is having problems giving Mulder such a unique deal. Highly unlikely but he may be considering giving him an incentive laiden deal. I read on espn insider that the Mets are now strong after him and are using his old pitching coach (who's with the Mets) as a ploy to get him in New York. It also said that Tom Glavine, who has the same agent as Mulder, has been calling Mulder trying to get him to join the Mets rotation

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson