Barbosa picks it up in Suns win over Magic

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Craig Morgan, Tribune

Leandro Barbosa’s brother was always tough on him — pushing him to greater heights. So when Suns coach Mike D’Antoni gave the second-year Brazilian point guard a tongue lashing up in Portland last week, Barbosa took it as a good sign. "I appreciate if he yells at me," he said. "If he yells at me it’s because he wants me to get better."

After some lackluster recent efforts, Barbosa took a step in that direction in Phoenix’s 121-100 win over the Orlando Magic on Monday at America West Arena.

Barbosa scored a seasonhigh 19 points off the bench, giving the Suns a huge lift when Steve Nash got into foul trouble. He had four assists in 21 minutes. Just as important, he had no turnovers in providing the type of play the Suns sorely will need from their backups if they are to maintain this break-neck pace over an 82-game schedule.

"L.B. was great," said Nash (10 assists), who picked up his fourth foul with 7:20 remaining in the third quarter. "The thing is, he’s more than capable of playing that way. If we can get his confidence where it was tonight and he plays on a regular basis, it will really make us a better team.

"I think you saw that tonight. I wasn’t very good and we got a 20-point win over a really good team."

The win gave Phoenix the best start (18-3) in franchise history, eclipsing the 1980-81 team that began 17-3.

The Suns, who have won five straight, shot better than 50 percent (51.1) for the ninth time this season, the secondbest mark in the NBA behind Miami’s 10. They also outdid the run-happy Magic with a 28-15 advantage on the fast break, helping the Suns leapfrog Orlando for the league lead in fast-break points.

"They played last night so we knew that was to our advantage," D’Antoni said. "We wanted to keep the pace up. We thought their jump shots would fall a little short toward the end of the game, which they did."

Still Orlando made it tough on the Suns. The Magic used a zone defense to hold Amare Stoudemire (21 points, nine rebounds) largely in check. Grant Hill had 15 of his 23 points in the first half to keep the Magic within striking distance.

But the Suns did a better job of finding open men — and knocking down shots in the second half.

Quentin Richardson had 14 of his game-high 26 points, including four 3-pointers, after the break, helping the Suns turn a 70-69 lead into a rout. Orlando just couldn’t keep up, shooting 38.3 percent in the game.

"Their record is not a fluke," Magic coach Johnny Davis said of the Suns. "They’re that good. There’s no hiding on defense against them. They could put five guys on the floor who can score 30 points in a night."

The question for many is, can the Suns keep it up throughout the season and playoffs? Orlando guard Steve Francis thinks not.

"It won’t work in the playoffs," Francis said. "I don’t think any team has run to the championship."

SUN OF THE WEEK

The NBA hasn’t officially changed the title of Western Conference Player of the Week to Suns player of the week. It just feels that way.

For the second time in the last four weeks, Suns forward Amare Stoudemire earned the honor after averaging a league-high 30.7 points, 12 rebounds and 3.3 assists on 32-of-50 shooting (.640) from the field in wins over Golden State, the Lakers and Charlotte.

This is the third time a Sun has captured the award — forward Shawn Marion earned the honor for the week of Nov. 22-28 — in six weeks of NBA play.

Steve Nash also won NBA Western Conference Player of the Month for November.

Q’s WORLD

Ever wonder what occupies the Suns before a game when they aren’t on the floor practicing? Quentin Richardson spent the minutes before Monday’s game munching on Cheetos and learning his teammates’ middle names from the Suns’ newly printed yearbook. Among the middle names of interest to Q were Stoudemire’s, "Carsares," which Richardson said he couldn’t pronounce, and Casey "Gardner" Jacobsen, which drew a quizzical look from Q.

Quentin L. Richardson would not reveal what the "L" stands for, nor did he offer any comment on Maciej Boleslaw Lampe.

BONUS SHOTS

Joe Johnson had a quietly effective night, scoring 18 points and dishing out seven assists. . . . Fresh off the injured list, Japanese guard Yuta Tabuse entered the game (his third overall) with 2:18 remaining. . . . Marion tied a career high with six blocks. . . . The entire Suns squad will present toys and autographs to kids at The Phoenix Children’s Hospital today. The team also will hand out vouchers for free Christmas trees to families of hospitalized children.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=33111

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
I don't really like my middle name either, Edward. It may be more common then Gardner, but it makes me sound uptight. I bet that there are a whole bunch of miserable middle names on this board.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't think anyone likes their middle name, unless they start using it while young. You get used to one name as being related to your personality (even though really it isn't), and anything else seems out of character.

"Carsares" seems kind of cool, if only because it sounds like a Roman ruler or something. A quick AltaVista search seems to indicate that the name is unique, however, which I guess is cool in a different way.

First fan: "Hey, I hear that Maciej Lampe is going to be the Suns' center of the future."
Second fan: (faking a Polish accent) "Boleslaw!"

jibikao

Reaction score
"Their record is not a fluke," Magic coach Johnny Davis said of the Suns. "They’re that good. There’s no hiding on defense against them. They could put five guys on the floor who can score 30 points in a night."

The question for many is, can the Suns keep it up throughout the season and playoffs? Orlando guard Steve Francis thinks not.

"It won’t work in the playoffs," Francis said. "I don’t think any team has run to the championship."
----------------------------------------------

Man, I really want Suns to prove Francis wrong. He was obviously having sour grape.

Well, I don't expect Suns to shoot 50% but the small ball lineup MUST find its way to bloom in playoffs. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of slow, halfcourt games. It's boring. NBA is all about entertainment and there's no better way to show off NBA players' talents than playing great Small Ball offense.

Jimmy

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My family has a peculiar tradition in that the first born male son has to take his father's first name as his middle name.

So my name is Christopher Denis Sanders

My father is Denis Joseph Sanders

And so forth...

I actually agree with Eric in that Carsares is a cool sounding name

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
By Craig Morgan, Tribune

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=33111

Today's players have little understanding of b-ball history. The Celtics of the 60's and 70's ran to their titles. So did the Lakers of the 80's.

Plus, whose to say the Suns can't play half court? They haven't had to much this year.

Such generalizations are so inane.

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Today's players have little understanding of b-ball history. The Celtics of the 60's and 70's ran to their titles. So did the Lakers of the 80's.

Plus, whose to say the Suns can't play half court? They haven't had to much this year.

Such generalizations are so inane.

I was thinking the same thing. What those teams had that maybe we don't have is a dominating post presence. I am not sure Amare is a dominating post presence, but I can't say for sure since I only hear what he is doing on the radio and haven't been able to see them live yet.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
frdbtr said:
I was thinking the same thing. What those teams had that maybe we don't have is a dominating post presence. I am not sure Amare is a dominating post presence, but I can't say for sure since I only hear what he is doing on the radio and haven't been able to see them live yet.
Amare is a force in the post, that is were his game all started. The Suns can go into a halfcourt game. I think Hunter has shown he can gaurd Garnett and Mike will use that match up during the playoffs if he needs to. I think we will stay with our starting line-up but we would see more of Bo and Hunter during a playoff series.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My middle name is Henry. It just sounds old to me. Still, it could be much worse.

I agree that in the last 10-15 years up tempo, fast-break basketball hasn't worked well in the playoffs. I mean New Jersey got to the NBA finals two years in a row with it, but that was in the Eastern conference. They would have been lucky to make it out of the first round of the Western Conference.

However this Phoenix Suns team has a few other things going for it. First of all they have a good inside/outside half-court game. They are capable of scoring without running. Secondly I think the league is going to push very hard to keep the referees officiating the way they happened so far this season. Everybody loves the Phoenix Suns style of play, and I believe they will do everything they can to keep it going.

Joe Mama

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
frdbtr said:

The most dominating post players in the league right now are Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan, and Amare Stoudemire-- not necessarily in that order.

As Suns fans, its still hard to come to grips with the fact that we have a real post presence on our team--and this one is not 6-4 like the only other one we've had.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
My middle name is Henry. It just sounds old to me. Still, it could be much worse.

I agree that in the last 10-15 years up tempo, fast-break basketball hasn't worked well in the playoffs. I mean New Jersey got to the NBA finals two years in a row with it, but that was in the Eastern conference. They would have been lucky to make it out of the first round of the Western Conference.

However this Phoenix Suns team has a few other things going for it. First of all they have a good inside/outside half-court game. They are capable of scoring without running. Secondly I think the league is going to push very hard to keep the referees officiating the way they happened so far this season. Everybody loves the Phoenix Suns style of play, and I believe they will do everything they can to keep it going.

Joe Mama

Excellent post, I forgot about NJ. I agree that the league is going to try to keep this pace going in the playoffs.

NJ was an excellent running team but a medicre shooting team. If we want to be a dominant team, we have to put together the whole package. It seems to me that running a half-court offense through Amare should be quite effective--especially with his new found passing skills.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They showed a graphic on the telecast last night showing that the Suns lead the NBA on points in the paint. An impressive statistic for a "small ball" team.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
One thing that does scare me is that Barbosa is a score first guard he doesn't pass the ball enough. I don't mind it when the other subs are in but when Amare, JJ, Marion or Q is on the court he doesn't try to move the ball around. I can see the Suns drafting a PG next year and moving Barbosa to the two and asking Casey to take less and be a swing sub. Just my thoughts.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
It has been my contention as well.

DRAFT JARRET JACK
You must be registered for see images
[size=+6]#3[/size]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jarrett Jack

Birthdate: 10/28/83
NBA Position: Point Guard
College: Georgia Tech
Class: Junior
Ht: 6-3
Wt: 202
Hometown: Durham, NC
High School: Worcester Academy

[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Team Site Profile[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2004 Stats[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Strengths: Jack is one of the most underrated players in his class. He has unmatched court vision. He loves to run and gun. At 6-3, Jack stands above most of the point guards. And his body is already mature. Don’t leave him open from deep because he will burn you. A good scorer when needed.

Weaknesses: Jack may get a bit carried away with being too flashy. He has been able to get away with it before because he has bounced around different schools. Once he learns how to play and run a real team as a point guard, the sky is the limit.

Notes: Cousins with Duke’s Chris Duhon.
[/font]

I like the dude but we will not have that low of a pick. We still have to give our 1st rounder to the Spurs and I can't see using a lotto pick on him.

Last edited:

jibikao

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama
NICE POST. I have the same feeling that the refs are not going to favor Pistons-style this year. I mean Pistons is not doing well at all and it could be because they were called on a lot of their "physical defense".

Maybe NBA wants to turn into exciting, high-scoring games this year than 80+ games like the college basketball.

I guess that's also why there are quite a few small teams now: Lakers, Magic, Suns, Sonics, Wizard and Clippers (?).

Jimmy

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
The most dominating post players in the league right now are Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan, and Amare Stoudemire-- not necessarily in that order.

As Suns fans, its still hard to come to grips with the fact that we have a real post presence on our team--and this one is not 6-4 like the only other one we've had.

I was assuming as much but can't really tell from the radio. Plus it seems like, from a lot of posters on this site, that he would get a lot of his points on the fast break. I can't wait to get to watch some games on the TV. Last year in the finale against Utah I was VERY impressed with how he dominated that game.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Jarrett Jack probably isn't even a top 5 PG right now in the NCAA.

Paul, Shakur, Williams, Gilchrist, Felton...

Maybe we should hope that Chicago gets a top 3 pick and stays bad. Nbadraft.net has Greg Oden going #2 in 2006. Actually there seem to be a bunch of very talented highschool kids in the 2006 class.

Gerald Green and Louis Williams are intriguing me this year if we don't go big in the draft and take a promising swing player as insurance in case Joe Johnson gets offered obscene money and Jacobsen who will leave most likely ( We might be better off snatching a veteran big man or 2 with the MLE like Dale Davis). Never saw them play or anything. Just an early feeling like with Amare.

Tell me the scouting report doesn't fit this team perfectly

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/geraldgreen.asp

Everything this kid does is silky smooth, even hard drives to the lane capped with the empathetic dunk seem easy... Has supreme athleticism, and gets many points off ally oop dunks as well as on drives to the hole... Has a very quick, effortless release on his jump shot. Combine that with great elevation and you have an almost unblockable shot... Most of the shots go in, in fact his jump shot from midrange to outside is one of his defining qualities... Loves to spot up for the open three, or stop and pop for the 15 footer... Overall just a sick scorer from outside ... Even At 6'8 he handles the ball like a guard, often starting (and finishing) the fast break... Loves to run the floor for the ally oop dunk, but also knows when to pass the ball... Most of those passes get right where they need to be ... However, those fast breaks don't just start themselves, Gerald is often the one creating the turnovers... His long arms and tremendous athleticism lead to lots of blocked shots and steals. Often creating the turnover, starting the break, and finishing with a monster dunk... Also rebounds exceptionally well for a guard/forward his size... The total package, an all around player who will do whatever it takes to win. There aren't many with his gifts at his size... With time and effort this kid will be something special.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
SweetD said:
[size=+6]#3[/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jarrett Jack

Birthdate: 10/28/83
NBA Position: Point Guard
College: Georgia Tech
Class: Junior
Ht: 6-3
Wt: 202
Hometown: Durham, NC
High School: Worcester Academy

[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Team Site Profile[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2004 Stats[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Strengths: Jack is one of the most underrated players in his class. He has unmatched court vision. He loves to run and gun. At 6-3, Jack stands above most of the point guards. And his body is already mature. Don’t leave him open from deep because he will burn you. A good scorer when needed.

Weaknesses: Jack may get a bit carried away with being too flashy. He has been able to get away with it before because he has bounced around different schools. Once he learns how to play and run a real team as a point guard, the sky is the limit.

Notes: Cousins with Duke’s Chris Duhon.
[/font]

I like the dude but we will not have that low of a pick. We still have to give our 1st rounder to the Spurs and I can't see using a lotto pick on him.
I will admit this profile may be a bit biased beause it is a team profile but I think he is what it sayes. At what number did we take Nash. I could see a draft day trade, just like what happened with Jameer Nelson, Denver did not want to pay a first round draft choice because they wanted salary cap space.

Also, we may not even have a first round draft choice this year. If we finish as well as we started, SA gets our pick or if Chicago tanks the season. So Slinslin may get his projection and we will have to settle for a lottery in 2006, which may not even be a lottery depending what Chicago does next summer.

Just looked it up, Nash was the 15th pick. I see Jack going in about the same slot. Iverson and Marbury went ahead of Nash, Tony Delk went right after Nash.

As far as other point guards that Slinslin listed

Paul is only 5'11'', 175, and may stay his junior year
Shakur may change my mind if he takes Arizona deep into the tournament

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to the original article, I loved his line:

SUN OF THE WEEK

The NBA hasn’t officially changed the title of Western Conference Player of the Week to Suns player of the week. It just feels that way.

jibikao

Reaction score
Hahahaha... I wonder if Suns would get another Player of the Week? But I think this week will go to Sonics..either Ray or Lewis.

Jimmy

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Maybe we should hope that Chicago gets a top 3 pick and stays bad. Nbadraft.net has Greg Oden going #2 in 2006.

I have seen Oden just for seconds but his body-type and movement reminded me of Olajuwon.

I'm against drafting of Jack. I have seen him a couple times last season (twice live) and I completely disagree with nbadraft's scouting report.

Jack is a solid, matured playmaker with limited one-one-one, shooting and defensive abilities. He is quick but not in Steve Nash's mode. I think that his limit is a poor man's Andre Miller.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
I have seen Oden just for seconds but his body-type and movement reminded me of Olajuwon.

I'm against drafting of Jack. I have seen him a couple times last season (twice live) and I completely disagree with nbadraft's scouting report.

Jack is a solid, matured playmaker with limited one-one-one, shooting and defensive abilities. He is quick but not in Steve Nash's mode. I think that his limit is a poor man's Andre Miller.
I see Jack as cross between Marbury and Nash. He can take it to the hole like Marbury, does not shoot as well as Nash, passes better than Marbury. Defensively better than both. I like his size 6'3'' 202.

I come to the comparison from the 1996 draft, that Chris Paul could be more like Iverson and Shakur could be like Marbury, we know now what works in our current system. Jack is more like Nash than Paul or Shakur. So taking the top rated guards might not necessarily what the Suns need.

DRAFT JARRET JACK

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz