AYTON TRADED!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Did you watch Summer league at all? I thought for a second round pick he was quite good.
I did. He was inconsistent. And it’s summer league which means next to nothing. There are 2nd round surprises, but that’s what they are, surprises because so few that late hit percentage-wise. I liked toumani but I think we are always desperate to want our picks to be hits so we tend to be overly optimistic about them. Many more strawberry’s than ceballos out there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did. He was inconsistent. And it’s summer league which means next to nothing. There are 2nd round surprises, but that’s what they are, surprises because so few that late hit percentage-wise. I liked toumani but I think we are always desperate to want our picks to be hits so we tend to be overly optimistic about them. Many more strawberry’s than ceballos out there.
Yeah, I immediately had high hopes for him and then had those hopes dashed in the next game. I wouldn't have minded seeing what he could become but I'd be surprised if he's ever more than a lower tier rotation player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, i think nurkic is a proven starter and Allen, eubanks, Gordon, KBD and okogie have now proven to be worthy of minutes on most teams. Even if they just proved that last season it doesn’t mean they are unproven. That’s 9 guys and I think Watanabe is likely right there too.
Yeah I have more questions about how the pieces will fit together than I do about our depth. I suspect that if our stars go down, we're going to lament our lack of depth and if our stars stay mostly healthy, we're going to love how deep we are.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that was fluff to try to bump trade value.... the rest of the league called their bluff
That's possible except Frank described what kind of center fits his system...athletic and mobile. Ayton fits that bill. Nurkic does not.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That's possible except Frank described what kind of center fits his system...athletic and mobile. Ayton fits that bill. Nurkic does not.
I suspect Eubanks will be seeing heavy minutes as well. I doubt Nurkic is playing more than 24-26 MPG or so this season.

This in a lot of ways was addition by subtraction. They don't have to have the Ayton situation hanging over their heads all season. They can also save some mental energy not having to try and keep the guy motivated all the time.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect Eubanks will be seeing heavy minutes as well. I doubt Nurkic is playing more than 24-26 MPG or so this season.

This in a lot of ways was addition by subtraction. They don't have to have the Ayton situation hanging over their heads all season. They can also save some mental energy not having to try and keep the guy motivated all the time.
This is exactly what I have been saying. This was a sell low scenario for the Suns likely because they wanted to just move on. This was not an even trade and the idea is addition by subtraction. Selling low on the franchises one and only 1st overall pick is a major fail either way.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am well aware of that. However as the face of the franchise, he might be supermax eligible by then and is likely to resign with the Nets.

Supermax deals are only available when a player sticks with one team for a certain number of years and Mikal won't hit that in Brooklyn. That's why Boogie was so upset he was dealt out of Sacramento years back when he became eligible but they opted to trade him instead. Booker is supermaxed because he's always been here in Phoenix also and same goes for Beal in Washington, which we now are paying for. Key point, Mikal won't hit supermax criteria in Brooklyn where they can offer more money, just regular re-signing rules.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He mentioned Anthony Davis as being the type not Hibbert. I am also assuming he meant not injured Davis. LOL.
Roy Hibbert was a crucial piece to the first success Vogel had in the NBA, so definitely relevant. AD was already AD before Vogel.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roy Hibbert was a crucial piece to the first success Vogel had in the NBA, so definitely relevant. AD was already AD before Vogel.
I can't speak to why he mentioned Davis but not Hibbert regardless of his success. Again, maybe he feels Davis was a better fit in his system not that it can't work to a lesser degree with other players. My hope is his system works here with what we have.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can't speak to why he mentioned Davis but not Hibbert regardless of his success. Again, maybe he feels Davis was a better fit.
Almost certainly recency bias, but it could be argued that not only did he improve a center like Hibbert to be really productive, he was able to adapt to a player that already had the tools to further bring them together to form a championship squad.

I was hoping we'd see him work with DA, but can't discount that he will also get the same chance to work with Nurkic.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker and Ish are now the only two players left from the roster that lost to the Mavs. I never in a million years thought this team would be almost completely turned over in just a couple years.
Booker is the only player remaining from the Suns team that played in the 2021 NBA Finals. Crazy fast roster turnover for your team.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost certainly recency bias, but it could be argued that not only did he improve a center like Hibbert to be really productive, he was able to adapt to a player that already had the tools to further bring them together to form a championship squad.

I was hoping we'd see him work with DA, but can't discount that he will also get the same chance to work with Nurkic.
I am not discounting it either. I hope he can do something with what we have. However, regardless of all the Ayton bashing (most of it legit), the paint with him in it verses out was night and day even when he dissappeared offensively or on the boards. Some people posted some stats on RealGM that showed that wasn't always the case with Nurkic.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The sad reality is Grayson Allen is the best player coming to the Suns in this deal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to why he mentioned Davis but not Hibbert regardless of his success. Again, maybe he feels Davis was a better fit in his system not that it can't work to a lesser degree with other players. My hope is his system works here with what we have.
Well, Anthony Davis when healthy is the best center for ANY team, so to say that’s Vogel’s system, and using that as proof that he wasn’t just fluffing DA, especially in the face of Hibbert being the Center he used to great effect elsewhere, doesn’t mean much to me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not discounting it either. I hope he can do something with what we have. However, regardless of all the Ayton bashing (most of it legit), the paint with him in it verses out was night and day even when he dissappeared offensively or on the boards. Some people posted some stats on RealGM that showed that wasn't always the case with Nurkic.
I think this team knows its bread is going to buttered on offense and on 100% buy in from all its key pieces. The D won’t have the high ceiling it would have with Ayton, but that’s a ceiling that was a huge stretch considering how mercurial Ayton has been… and probably would have gotten worse being even more phased out on offense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think this team knows its bread is going to buttered on offense and on 100% buy in from all its key pieces. The D won’t have the high ceiling it would have with Ayton, but that’s a ceiling that was a huge stretch considering how mercurial Ayton has been… and probably would have gotten worse being even more phased out on offense.
We know two things this season that we didn’t have last season: better perimeter defending and 3-point shooting. Rim protection might suffer a bit, but if the perimeter D can take away a lot of drives inside, it might not matter as much.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
We know two things this season that we didn’t have last season: better perimeter defending and 3-point shooting. Rim protection might suffer a bit, but if the perimeter D can take away a lot of drives inside, it might not matter as much.
I don't see our rim protection suffering at all - infact - with the arrival of Vogel and the banishing of eAnre Ayton - I only expect it to improve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from Hoop Rumors with Shams Charania and Sam Amick of The Athletic as the authors of the snippet below.

So talks of the Ayton-Nurkic trade began in mid-July per the comments below.

From Hoops Rumors / Suns:

The authors’ sources say the Suns started discussing the framework of a Deandre AytonJusuf Nurkic trade in mid-July, but the Blazers wanted to make sure they could avoid the luxury tax when Lillard was eventually dealt. Phoenix would likely have been part of any deal with the Bucks, Nets or Heat, Charania and Amick add.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having a bunch of a 3 point gunners will be a welcomed breath of fresh air. Season’s past we really only had Cam/Bridges as dependable 3 ball guys and once they were gone, we really saw how hamstrung a team could be without shooting even with KD/Booker.

I’m excited… but cautiously about the season. There are gonna be injuries galore on this team. To expect otherwise is smoking a bit of hopium. But if these guys all get enough minutes over the course of the season to establish chemistry together and are healthy come playoffs, we’ve got just as good a shot as anyone else at the title.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's very true but having said that the relationship with Monty was irrevocably broken. I don't care who you are that will not create a good situation on court. I was hoping that Frank would get a crack at it....if for nothing then to restore some of Ayton's value. That at least could have resulted in something better than this crap trade. What's done is done now though. All we can hope is that the addition by subtraction works.

I am cautiously optimistic for what happens this season but if we go through an injury riddled season this could off the rails very quickly. Then you can count on this team being blown up again in short order verses 3 season from now and I am including Booker as part of that.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'm thinking Dame told Portland he didn't want to be on a team with DeAndre Ayton - lol - even if it was during the off-season - because of the possibility of Dame staying - and that's why the Suns had to wait months before making the trade

Haha and I don't blame Dame one bit