Ayton paid $10,000/month in college

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How has Miller not been fired??

If they were going to fire Miller it should have been done a year ago. Since recruiting is good, it poses the question, why do it now?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How has Miller not been fired??

How has the Dem Governor in Virginia who got caught in black face back in the day... then pretended he wasn't sure it was even him still have a job?

How can the AG just tell bald face lies and in the face of proof he lied, get zero push back from the GOP?

How can Jussie Smollet get away with creating a false flag in order to gain him sympathy?

Easy. The fish rots from the head down and at this point, Trump has lit the way for every destructive, dark deed to flip the bird and basically just say FU to any allegation, whether proven or not.

Welcome to an era of no accountability for your actions. It's been Trump's biggest "gift" to the country and EVERYONE is following in the footsteps of dear leader at this point.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
How has the Dem Governor in Virginia who got caught in black face back in the day... then pretended he wasn't sure it was even him still have a job?

How can the AG just tell bald face lies and in the face of proof he lied, get zero push back from the GOP?

How can Jussie Smollet get away with creating a false flag in order to gain him sympathy?

Easy. The fish rots from the head down and at this point, Trump has lit the way for every destructive, dark deed to flip the bird and basically just say FU to any allegation, whether proven or not.

Welcome to an era of no accountability for your actions. It's been Trump's biggest "gift" to the country and EVERYONE is following in the footsteps of dear leader at this point.

:biglaugh:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they were going to fire Miller it should have been done a year ago. Since recruiting is good, it poses the question, why do it now?

There are a lot of reasons to do it now. The longer you keep him employed the more scandals he's link to can surface and make UofA look worse since he's still on the payroll. This keeps getting uglier and uglier but Miller has been able to avoid any repercussions so far. It seems like UofA is waiting for the NCAA to make a move before they fire him.

What needs to happen or what needs to be revealed before they fire him is a better question, I think.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Ironically he put together his best class after the investigation broke and Book was arrested.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Or it’s because coaches have been doing this for years (regardless whose president) and until there is a smoking gun, as long as the coach is winning and bringing in top recruits they will keep on keeping on.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironically he put together his best class after the investigation broke and Book was arrested.

That's because all the recruits knew what sort of money they'd be able to get from UofA if they kept their mouth shut.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is not the first nor the last big time recruit to get paid.

But I am pretty sure that Zion Williamson's mom getting hired by Nike for "consulting" work when he committed to the Nike equipped Blue Devils was a coincidence. I just hope she had nothing to do with the shoes that almost blew out his knee.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or it’s because coaches have been doing this for years (regardless whose president) and until there is a smoking gun, as long as the coach is winning and bringing in top recruits they will keep on keeping on.

Kind of. Players have been getting paid for ages yes but if it's true Miller himself was paying Ayton or directing Nike to do so, that's another level that hasn't been seen that much. That was the shocking allegation in the OJ Mayo story that Tim Floyd himself went to pay money to the guy they paying to pay Mayo. That's why USC finally got rid of Floyd after trying not to, when it was alleged he directly got involved in a payment they canned him.

I think this story is the story Schlabach and ESPN reported with facts wrong. They were told Miller and Dawkins on tape it's actually Book and Dawkins talking about MIller. They were told 100K, it's 10K a month from June to March which equals 100K?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is not the first nor the last big time recruit to get paid.

But I am pretty sure that Zion Williamson's mom getting hired by Nike for "consulting" work when he committed to the Nike equipped Blue Devils was a coincidence. I just hope she had nothing to do with the shoes that almost blew out his knee.

Bagley was worse his dad went from losing his home in Arizona to foreclosure, to living in a million dollar gated community with 3 kids in private school because Nike hired him to coach his sons' AAU team. they then steered them to Duke and paid the family to move to North Carolina.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There is enough. Just being implicated like this should be enough.

Thats not how any of this works. Especially since the FBI investigated Miller and Arizona basketball for two years, including evaluating financial records, computers and other evidence.

If this were true, Miller would’ve perp walked with Book by now.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How did something as irrelevant as sneaker companies become the evil empire in sports?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to allow these kids to get paid already. Everyone is making a ton of money except the actual athletes. Some of them are getting paid but they aren't seeing the same amount of money as others because it's harder to sneak 6 or 7 figure sums to them.

I don't think there should be an issue with 3rd parties like shoe companies paying kids. Why can't they become spokesman for that brand while in college? I doubt a university would care if a student mathlete endorsed a calculator brand, of course they'd try to take a cut for themselves but the regulations on "student athletes" are ridiculous.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
They need to allow these kids to get paid already. Everyone is making a ton of money except the actual athletes. Some of them are getting paid but they aren't seeing the same amount of money as others because it's harder to sneak 6 or 7 figure sums to them.

I don't think there should be an issue with 3rd parties like shoe companies paying kids. Why can't they become spokesman for that brand while in college? I doubt a university would care if a student mathlete endorsed a calculator brand, of course they'd try to take a cut for themselves but the regulations on "student athletes" are ridiculous.
I’m not sure if paying the athletes (which I think they should do) will actually stop the corruption. I have to imagine that the NCAA will either have a flat fee or a cap for how much they can be paid and I still think that coaches and boosters will offer to pay an athlete “more” to direct them to different colleges.
I guess the only solution if for the NCAA to not pay them but allow endorsers such as shoe companies to pay whatever amount they want to different athletes.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is enough. Just being implicated like this should be enough.
Maybe in the court of public opinion but not in the legal sense. The tape is a discussion between Book and Dawkins talking about Miller. No proof of Miller actually giving Ayton or his people has been discovered so Miller is innocent until proven guilty. Now we know what Book was offering to get his plea deal, Miller. Wingo & Golic made a good point this morning in that unless someone goes to jail (a coach) this will not deter big programs from paying players. They pointed out that if it takes all this just to get Miller fired then big time coaches will conduct business as usual.

Also, if UA fires Miller now and he gets cleared somehow later, he could sue for wrongful termination unless the school justifies it due to performance. Even if Miller gets fired who would want the job and deal with the fallout?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats not how any of this works. Especially since the FBI investigated Miller and Arizona basketball for two years, including evaluating financial records, computers and other evidence.

If this were true, Miller would’ve perp walked with Book by now.

FBI wise yes, NCAA wise no. THe NCAA is not a court of law, they don't start at you're innocent we'll prove you guilty they start at you're guilty, prove your innocent. That's why everyone hates NCAA investigations it's damn near impossible to get off without penalty.

If any of what's on that tape from yesterday is true, Ayton was ineligible, he was being paid and his mom had a relationship with an agent. If you follow that tape, Book knew he was ineligible and believed Miller was the guy paying him which would mean Miller knew he was ineligible. Knowingly playing an ineligible player is an NCAA violation and it's lack of IC. The same thing is alleged in the Yahoo story about them trying to get Bowen by offering to steer Alkins and Markkanen to Dawkins. Dawkins is mad because pasternack offered to steer him Lauri, but Dawkins says Lauri already had an agent. That was before he played a single game at Arizona. That's 2 full years where there is a distinct possibility the star player was ineligible, Arizona coaches knew it, and still played them.

Also people keep saying Miller is not arrested, what is he going to be arrested for? Book was arrested for accepting a bribe, Dawkins has never once said he paid Miller he's arguing the exact opposite, I never paid him and he still broke rules. Miller may have committed fraud of some sort and there may be tax implications if he was really paying Ayton, no idea, but it's not clear to me that the FBI was going to arrest Miller for anything Dawkins alleges. Unless Miller was paying Ayton but told the FBI he wasn't, it's not clear to me he committed a crime. He possibly broke NCAA rules, but crime, I don't see it yet.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if paying the athletes (which I think they should do) will actually stop the corruption. I have to imagine that the NCAA will either have a flat fee or a cap for how much they can be paid and I still think that coaches and boosters will offer to pay an athlete “more” to direct them to different colleges.
I guess the only solution if for the NCAA to not pay them but allow endorsers such as shoe companies to pay whatever amount they want to different athletes.

It won't . Just from yesterday there's this allegation that Ayton was getting about 100K, but in the same testimony Dawkins and Book said the price for Bol Bol, who was going to Arizona until the FBI story broke, was 200K. So 2 kids on the same AAU team both going to Nike schools(Bol ends up at Oregon) are being recruited with different price tags. If you start paying players that won't stop 2 kids like that from saying hey I want more money I'm better than he is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe in the court of public opinion but not in the legal sense. The tape is a discussion between Book and Dawkins talking about Miller. No proof of Miller actually giving Ayton or his people has been discovered so Miller is innocent until proven guilty. Now we know what Book was offering to get his plea deal, Miller. Wingo & Golic made a good point this morning in that unless someone goes to jail (a coach) this will not deter big programs from paying players. They pointed out that if it takes all this just to get Miller fired then big time coaches will conduct business as usual.

Also, if UA fires Miller now and he gets cleared somehow later, he could sue for wrongful termination unless the school justifies it due to performance. Even if Miller gets fired who would want the job and deal with the fallout?

He can sue anytime he wants but then he has to deal with discovery so the only way he sues is if he's innocent. Scheer is now reporting that the tapes from yesterday were completely new, Arizona had no idea they existed. He's said for ages now Arizona investigated and cleared, FBI investigated and cleared, NCAA same thing. Arizona has seen and heard all the evidence and Miller is still the coach, then surprise, there's tapes, 7 of them, that arizona didn't know about that had Book on them talking to Dawkins about Miller and other violations.

Just like USC doing their own investigation, announcing case closed Melton was hte only issue, and a week later Yahoo comes out with emails and quotes that were leaked by Haney that show USC had other players implicated that their investigation didn't find. When all you can do is ask people did you do something wrong, it's entirely possible and in many cases likely, they're going to lie to you.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did something as irrelevant as sneaker companies become the evil empire in sports?

Because the next Michael Jordan or Lebron is a gold mine to them so they do everything they can to get these kids at a young age. It's why USA basketball should not have an exclusive Nike deal they're just encouraging kids to do this stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose