ASU's New Head Coach Is Kenny Dillingham

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaun Aguano is making a great case to be retained. If he can get to a bowl, the job should be his.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Shaun Aguano is making a great case to be retained. If he can get to a bowl, the job should be his.
I find it hard to believe that ASU fans would be happy retaining Aguano, short of him winning out.

Hopefully our sights are higher.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that ASU fans would be happy retaining Aguano, short of him winning out.

So holding out for the next big name retread...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If possible, I'd like to see Aguano offered an assistant head coach position if ASU goes another direction.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If possible, I'd like to see Aguano offered an assistant head coach position if ASU goes another direction.
It would be nice to retain him in some fashion, but there seems almost no chance he'll go under another HC after being interim HC.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to retain him in some fashion, but there seems almost no chance he'll go under another HC after being interim HC.

I've seen Todd Graham around lately. I wonder if he could factor into the equation somehow.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If we get hit with probation, and Aguano gets us to a bowl game, I say let him ride out the probation period and then reevaluate. If he fails, then we are in a stronger position to make a big hire to take over post probation. I am not sure how good of a hire we could get with this cloud hanging over the program from the investigation.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not sure how you could justify Graham. He has a literal mutiny on his hands in Hawaii. If I recall correctly, his own son hit the transfer portal to leave Hawaii well before Graham was fired (my memory may be failing me on that a bit)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I am not sure how you could justify Graham. He has a literal mutiny on his hands in Hawaii. If I recall correctly, his own son hit the transfer portal to leave Hawaii well before Graham was fired (my memory may be failing me on that a bit)
Zero chance it's Graham either.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If we get hit with probation, and Aguano gets us to a bowl game, I say let him ride out the probation period and then reevaluate. If he fails, then we are in a stronger position to make a big hire to take over post probation. I am not sure how good of a hire we could get with this cloud hanging over the program from the investigation.
I guess we'll see. If it's a choice between Aguano or let's say a young up and comer (Dillingham) who is willing to come no matter what, then I probably pick Dillingham.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess we'll see. If it's a choice between Aguano or let's say a young up and comer (Dillingham) who is willing to come no matter what, then I probably pick Dillingham.

Dillingham seems like a great OC. I am just unsure about his head coaching ability. Maybe he has it, I just don't know.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Dillingham seems like a great OC. I am just unsure about his head coaching ability. Maybe he has it, I just don't know.
For sure - he wouldn't be a potential option for ASU if he didn't have question marks.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aguano if he shows promise the rest of the way and guys buy in....some in state talent would keep the fan base a little more tempered with expectations imo. Hire a good team of recruiters/coach that can do the rest with him. He showed enough at a top notch Chandler high. Good solid coach. Now find a good set of guys to go steal some talent. That's the big trick here moving forward IMO. USC and UCLA ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Aguano if he shows promise the rest of the way and guys buy in....some in state talent would keep the fan base a little more tempered with expectations imo. Hire a good team of recruiters/coach that can do the rest with him. He showed enough at a top notch Chandler high. Good solid coach. Now find a good set of guys to go steal some talent. That's the big trick here moving forward IMO. USC and UCLA ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
In state talent is not the answer. The best players leave Arizona, and the second tier aren't good enough to offer. Southern California recruiting is the answer - we might be able to sell kids on not playing in the Big 10?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In state talent is not the answer.
I meant more from retaining the head coach from in state. Many could get behind him for his achievements here before ASU. But yeah..I agree from a player perspective.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In state talent is not the answer. The best players leave Arizona, and the second tier aren't good enough to offer. Southern California recruiting is the answer - we might be able to sell kids on not playing in the Big 10?

The best players didn't always leave Arizona. They have been neglected for too long.

Keep recruiting Southern California but let's build a home base in our own backyard.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Honestly, there is a decent track record of college coaches bombing in the pros and then coming back to even greater success in college (Holtz, Saban).

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any five- and four-star player is going to leave the state. I think you need to fight hard for them because you will catch the occasional win but the reality is the reality. I would also add in Texas as a fertile ground but, again, ASU will be fighting over table scraps there as well when it comes to top tier talent.

I know you didn’t say anything about this but this notion that ASU is some sort of sleeping giant is a myth and much of that is in direct correlation to the type of players ASU can reasonably expect to get. Any coach that does well here will springboard into a big 10 or SEC gig so any momentum will be short lived.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is definitely possible ASU could finish the season 6-6. UCLA is likely a guaranteed loss and probably go to Pullman and lose.

Stanford, Colorado and Oregon State (horrendous QB issues and the game is at home) should be wins. That leaves UofA as the roadblock…assuming everything I mentioned happens. That’ll make for a wild Territorial Cup

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is definitely possible ASU could finish the season 6-6. UCLA is likely a guaranteed loss and probably go to Pullman and lose.

Stanford, Colorado and Oregon State (horrendous QB issues and the game is at home) should be wins. That leaves UofA as the roadblock…assuming everything I mentioned happens. That’ll make for a wild Territorial Cup
That’s pretty much the way I see it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose