ASU to Play Florida State in Sun Bowl

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an exciting match-up. I can't recall ASU ever playing Florida State.

Mike Norvell being hired as their head coach gives it an interesting twist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raindog

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's an exciting match-up. I can't recall ASU ever playing Florida State.

Norv Turner being hired as their head coach gives it an interesting twist.

I know they played each other in the Fiesta Bowl in the early days of that game - early 1970s.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know they played each other in the Fiesta Bowl in the early days of that game - early 1970s.

It should be fun match-up nevertheless. When I think of Florida State I think exciting football.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Whoops, guess I was wrong. :oops:

I can kinda remember being really mad and upset because ASU and Frank Kush lost to Bowden and FSU. I really liked Kush back in the day.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whoops, guess I was wrong. :oops:

I can kinda remember being really mad and upset because ASU and Frank Kush lost to Bowden and FSU. I really liked Kush back in the day.

Not necessarily.

ASU beat Florida State at the first Fiesta Bowl in 1971.

Bobby Bowden didn't started coaching Florida State until 1976. He beat ASU in Tampa in 1979 and in Tempe in 1983 and 1984.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU beat FSU 45-38 in the first Fiesta Bowl.

I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome that you got to be at that game!

My only Fiesta Bowl was when UCLA tied Arkansas!

But Bowden wasn't coaching yet for FSU at the first Fiesta Bowl, according to wikepedia anyway.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Awesome that you got to be at that game!

My only Fiesta Bowl was when UCLA tied Arkansas!

But Bowden wasn't coaching yet for FSU at the first Fiesta Bowl, according to wikepedia anyway.

I was 9. I wasn’t really aware of coaches at that point.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was 9. I wasn’t really aware of coaches at that point.

I know what you mean. Probably my top Sun Devil Stadium experience was when John Elway and Stanford came to play ASU, and the teams went back and forth on scoring drives until the end. No clue who the coaches were, LOL. Hell, now I can't even remember who the ASU QB was, might have been Pagel.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an early prediction for an Arizona State win by Adam Rittenberg, ESPN Senior Writer.

Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl: Florida State vs. Arizona State

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

(2 p.m. on CBS at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas)

New Seminoles coach Mike Norvell will soon have FSU competing for championships again. But this roster still needs work, and Arizona State is building some real momentum for 2020. Quarterback Jayden Daniels finishes a strong freshman season with a big performance, getting help from running back Eno Benjamin and wide receivers Brandon Aiyuk and Frank Darby against FSU's defense. The Sun Devils contain Cam Akers and pull away in the fourth quarter.

Prediction: Arizona State 34, Florida State 24

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...all-bowl-game-including-national-championship

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Probably my top Sun Devil Stadium experience was when John Elway and Stanford came to play ASU, and the teams went back and forth on scoring drives until the end. No clue who the coaches were, LOL. Hell, now I can't even remember who the ASU QB was, might have been Pagel.
I was there, great game, great season. We beat #1 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Daryl Rogers was the coach, I can't remember the QB but pretty sure it wasn't Pagel.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was there, great game, great season. We beat #1 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Daryl Rogers was the coach, I can't remember the QB but pretty sure it wasn't Pagel.
I’m doubting Oklahoma was #1 heading into the game considering they ended the season at 8-3.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I was there for that game with my son. An amazing comeback. The look on Elway's horse face when we made that last drive was priceless. If memory serves me it was Todd Hons. It was my son's birthday, October 9, 1982.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was there for that game with my son. An amazing comeback. The look on Elway's horse face when we made that last drive was priceless. If memory serves me it was Todd Hons. It was my son's birthday, October 9, 1982.

:cheers:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't John Elway play for Stanford?