ASFN's Top 20 movies to see before YOU die...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just wanted to start the thread, I'll put mine in shortly.

It might be cool to put a couple sentence blurb about each movie, turning this thread into the ASFN version of one of the Leonard Maltin movie guides... Anybody else interested in that?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm down. I need to rework my list. It'll be interesting to see what people value; movies from a technical perspective, movies they love for personal reasons, etc.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
abomb said:
I'm down. I need to rework my list. It'll be interesting to see what people value; movies from a technical perspective, movies they love for personal reasons, etc.

I like it because it might provide some movies you otherwise wouldn't know anything about--hopefully we won't get too many of the Gladiator/Titanic/Shawshank/Usual Suspects variety. We already know those are movies to see, what about the ones that some people might not know of?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, this is going to be hard. I reserve the right to make serious edits to this.

1. Godfather II (over GF1...my favorite movie of all time is GFII)
2. Citizen Kane (Technically amazing, given the time..great story)
3. Rashomon (Masterpiece)
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Best love story ever)
5. City of God (Powerful. That's all...just powerful)
6. All About Eve (great acting, script, everything)
7. Some Like it Hot (marilyn at her finest...and she's smoking)
8. Battleship Potemkin (Odessa Steps Sequence homaged in tons of movies)
9. High Noon (real time, awesome)
10. North By Northwest (had to put a hitchcock here, and it's my favorite)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those ten movies I could watch again and again. They are desert island movies.

Oh, and Anchorman.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Those ten movies I could watch again and again. They are desert island movies.

Oh, and Anchorman.

Great list, except that.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not in any particular order:

1) The Searchers -- One of the best Westerns of all time, truly memorable for John Wayne's somewhat disturbing turn as an Indian-hating cowboy out to slaughter those that killed his family.

2) Dark City -- Certainly a glorious accomplishment in production design, but the story was also extremely complex, and since director Alex Proyas didn't employ any big name actors (Kiefer Sutherland and William Hurt were the most recognizable at the time), star power didn't detract from how great the film is.

3) Babe: Pig in the City -- The sequel to Babe is a well-written fable that is much more dark than the original--this isn't a children's movie, although it is still populated with talking animals. Some very disturbing images populate the movie, and it is a terrific fantasy--like Dark City, production design is great.

4) Open Range -- Highly regarded amongst old-style Western fans, this great movie is overshadowed a bit by Kevin Costner's reputation. That said, he plays his role deliberately low-key, with Robert Duvall really given most of the meat of the movie. Very well-done Western in a time where Westerns just aren't that popular.

5) It Happened One Night -- Switching gears, this is possibly the best screwball comedies of the first half of the 20th century. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert are perfect in their roles, as a newspaper man and a socialite, respectively.

6) To Have and Have Not -- Notable for the first time Humphrey Bogart starred in a movie with Lauren Bacall, who was half his age. As everyone knows, they would go on to marry. But that doesn't take away from the greatness of this adaptation of an Ernest Hemingway story, a sort of mariner Casablanca, with Bogart essentially playing Rick as if he was a sea captain.

7) Dead Alive -- Not for the faint of heart, this is one of Peter Jackson's first projects. Think Evil Dead, but with A LOT more blood and gore. I mean, A LOT. You'll never forget how to use a lawnmower as a weapon after watching this movie. (Trivia: In Jackson's King Kong, there is a direct reference to this film)

8) Sliding Doors -- I know this has been done as a Movie-A-Day, but I wanted to reiterate what a great movie this is. I'm not head-over-heels for Gwyneth, but she occasionally produces some great performances, and this one has a pretty good one. Interesting premise and very well-written.

9) The Third Man -- One of my favorite films. Joseph Cotten comes to Vienna, Austria, a mediocre pulp Western writer hoping to find some work with old friend Harry Lime, played with relish by Orson Welles, only to find that Lime has died the day before he arrived. Or is Lime really dead? Just an amazing piece of work and just as good today as it must have been 50 years ago.

10) City Lights -- It's a shame that silent films aren't that popular anymore, because this is the best of them. A masterpiece and really, proof of what movies are supposed to do -- tell a story onscreen and not on the page. An audience can really get how Charlie Chaplin's stigma has endured for so long. One of the best endings in the history of movies.

11) Much Ado About Nothing -- Back when Kenneth Branagh was making great Shakespeare movies (where is he now?), he made Henry V, this film, and Hamlet. All three are terrific, but none make Shakespeare as accessible to a layman than this film, which has a star-studded cast, and tons of airy and light laughs, more surprising since they come from Shakespeare's original text.

12) Halloween -- Some of the best horror movies ever made are pretty light on the gore (Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby chief amongst them), but Halloween was a slasher movie without any gore--and possible the scariest slasher movie of all time. A good horror movie should give you problems fallling asleep at night. The image of Michael Myers's mask is enough to keep someone up for days.

13) Captain Blood -- Errol Flynn's first big movie, and his first of many starring with Olivia de Havilland, this, along with The Sea Hawk, are generally considered the penultimate in pirate movies. And Flynn doesn't disappoint as an English doctor sold into slavery who escapes and becomes a notorious pirate. Great battles. (Trivia: In the basement of the Fratelli's hideout in The Goonies, Sloth is watching Captain Blood. However, the music cue that is heard is NOT from Captain Blood, but is actually reorchestrated music from another Flynn movie called The Adventures of Don Juan)

14) The Girl Next Door -- This is more of a recent guilty pleasure, but this movie really resonates with me probably because it's a teen adult movie. A movie for adults that keeps getting better with every viewing. From my point of view, it's not a teen movie, it's a movie that let's those of us no longer in high school relive those years--the characters are so well drawn that we have no problem doing it.

15) Peter Pan -- No, not the Disney version--this is the PJ Hogan version of a few years ago, and is the perfect movie for just getting away from it all. If movies are made to be fantasy, this is at the apex of that. Great soundtrack as well.

16) Three Kings -- A heist movie set during the Iraq war becomes much more than that halfway through. The acting is great throughout (with many recognizable actors) and by the time you reach the middle of the movie, you are enthralled.

17) The Silence of the Lambs -- Amazing acting, a great story and a frightening atmosphere punctuate this Best Picture winner, a triumph in pretty much every way possible.

18) The Green Mile -- Like Seven Samurai, this is a long film, but you don't really realize it until the credits come up. Tom Hanks again gives a nuanced performance, helped in part by great supporting roles by David Morse and the incredible Michael Clarke Duncan.

19) The Crimson Rivers -- A recent French film starring Jean Reno and Vincent Cassell as detectives investigating some grisly murders at a religious school in the Alps. Very atmospheric and a very "western" style make this one understandable almost without the subtitles.

20) Manhattan Murder Mystery -- This was the film that actually turned me on to Woody Allen movies, since before this I wasn't a fan. This movie is what an Annie Hall movie might have been. In fact, it is believed that in 1977, when Annie Hall was made, aspects of Manhattan Murder Mystery were included--he shelved that aspect and brought it back in the early 90s and created this one. Just a very funny and smart mystery story, with great performances, especially by Diane Keaton and Anjelica Huston.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so this isn't movies that everyone has seen, right? No Gladiator's, Goodfellas, Blazing Saddles, Godfather standard fare, correct?

here we go (in no particular order):

1. Kentucky Fried Movie (You've seen Airplane! and The Naked Gun, but this is wher the Zucker Brothers and Jim Abrahams began to strike gold, not to mention John Landis directing).

2. Raging Bull (Scorcese's masterpiece of brutality - being able to bring such lush, horrifying images in black and white is a feat which will never be duplicated. Known for Deniro's role, but Pesci steals the show).

3. Shaun of the Dead (classic zom-com (zombie-comedy), smart as a whip, really gruesome and equally as funny... you've got red on you).

4. Amazon Women On The Moon (along the lines of Ketucky Fried Movie - another classic sketch comedy movie from a bevy of great directors/writers).

5. Barton Fink (a Coen Brothers classic starring John Turtorro - about a playwright gone Hollywood and losing his mind - a surreal-comedy-noir-thriller as only the early Coen Brothers could pull off).

6. Sullivan's Travels (Billy Wilder at his directorial best).

7. Closer (Mike Nichol's brutally honest, gripping and tortuous look at relationships - unbelievable writing topped only by it's performances by Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, and yes, even Jude Law and Julia Roberts).

8. Funky Monkey/The Ape (gotta have a coouple monkey movies in here - the tag line of FM says it all - he's the best secret agent, super-ninja football star monkey hero around! Truly awful, but a must see. Followed by a movie where someone HAD to have comprimising pictures of James Franco - truly THE WORST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN).

10. Requiem For A Dream (Darren Aronosky's PSA about drug use - DON'T DO IT - incredible performances, brillaint direction - the use of sound in the film is truly stunning).

11. Punch-Drunk Love (Adam Sandler in the most non-Adam Sandler movie you'll ever see - PT Anderson's work about love... simplicity in filmaking, storytelling at it's finest.)

12. Midnight Run (the greatest "buddy comedy-adventure" movie ever. Deniro as a bail-bondsmen bringing back the most beautifully annoying Charles Grodon to Joe Pantoliano before Dennis Farina (as one of the greatest mob boss' of all time) kills both Grodin and his consigliere Sidney (Phillip Baker Hall). Truly - a classic, car chases, arcs for characters and some of the best lines in movie history - "Oh yeah? Well here come two words for you. Shut the f%%k up." ).

13. Killer Clowns From Outer Space (if you haven't seen this movie, you didn't have older brothers - ridiculous farce about, well, the title of the movie says it all).

14. The Dream Team (classic 80's comedy - Michael Keaton, Christopher Llyod, Peter Boyle and Flounder all play escaped mental patients in NYC when their psych go missing.)

15. In The Mood For Love/Fallen Angels (WKW classics - Kar Wai Wong, an almost mythological figure in Asian cinema gives us two movies - one's a romantic period peace that is striking to look at and heartwrenching at the same time. Fallen Angels is heartbreaking as well, but set in the world of hitmen - one of the strongest influences on Quentin Tarrantino).

17. Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick's classic about "THE BOMB" - just as funny and as poignant today as it was when it was made over 30 years ago).

18. Hardware Wars (late 70's spoof flick - has Bambi Meets Godzilla, Porklips Now and Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind - cheap laughs and even cheaper production value - still a classic.)

19. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (without a doubt the finest of all the Elm Street movies and while that's not saying much, this movie is a classic. Co-Written by Shawshank Redemption writer and director Frank Darabount, this is about as clever as this type of movie gets - the best one liners, the most inventive kills and ******* outright spookiness involving nuns and the birth of Freddy Kruger).

20. Down and Out 2 (the seminal work from yours truly - as one ASFNer termed it - "an epic comedy" - "92 minutes of hell on earth, but funny"... it's a sequel to NOTHING!)

EXTRA:

21. What's Up Tiger Lilly (ridiculousness at it's finest - Woody Allen purchased an Asian espionage film, wiped away the entire soundtrack and re-recorded all the dialogue in English, turning the film from whatever the hell it was into a movie about the search for the perfect recipe for a Tuna Salad Sandwich - truly something that has to be seen to believe.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
EXTRA:

21. What's Up Tiger Lilly (ridiculousness at it's finest - Woody Allen purchased an Asian espionage film, wiped away the entire soundtrack and re-recorded all the dialogue in English, turning the film from whatever the hell it was into a movie about the search for the perfect recipe for a Tuna Salad Sandwich - truly something that has to be seen to believe.)

Are you sure it was Tuna Salad? I remember it as Egg Salad... :D What a conversation piece...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Are you sure it was Tuna Salad? I remember it as Egg Salad... :D What a conversation piece...

you're right - it was egg salad - my God, that movie was just ridiculous.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have two that nobody ever see's that were great:

1. Lonesome Dove - It was a miniseries on regular TV, but some of the best acting from Robert Duval you will ever see. Totally awesome movie, even Rick (don't call me Ricky) Schroeder is believable.

2. Boondock Saints - Great little crime movie and Willam Dafoe gives an funny performance as a gay detective. The writer caught lightning in a bottle with this one.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
In America - I don't see this one pop up on many lists but I thought it was amazingly thoughtful. Maybe I liked it so much because I have young children.

Secretary - HISTARICAL

The rest of my list would be pretty mainstream,

The Graduate - my favorite soundtrack, great movie too

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Pulp Fiction - The dialogue in this movie cracks me up every time

The Shining - Jack is incredible

American Beauty - I don't get all the ripping on this movie. It always makes me appreciate life more.

Platoon - my pick of the anti war statements

That's all I got without looking up movies to add.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
devilalum said:
In America - I don't see this one pop up on many lists but I thought it was amazingly thoughtful. Maybe I liked it so much because I have young children.

Secretary - HISTARICAL

American Beauty - I don't get all the ripping on this movie. It always makes me appreciate life more.

yes, yes, and yes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jenna2891 said:
am i the only one who could go without ever seeing another western? i really don't get the hype...

Jenna, you're not exactly the target audience for those flicks.

I'm not a HUGE western fan, but for non-western fans - I'd check out The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and Unforgiven - those are pretty much universally loved.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jenna2891 said:

What's so confusing? Women aren't the target audience for Westerns. Just like retired folks aren't the target audience for American Pie movies.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jenna2891 said:
am i the only one who could go without ever seeing another western? i really don't get the hype...

Which hype is that? The hype that produces a Western once every 4 or 5 years or so?

There's no "hype". The Western is what it is. I didn't particularly care for them when I was younger, I figured the quality of the stories wasn't very high. But then I saw El Dorado, Rio Bravo and Unforgiven, and I totally changed my opinion.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
Chaplin said:
Which hype is that? The hype that produces a Western once every 4 or 5 years or so?

calm down, tiger. try not to read to much into it. ;)

i'm not saying filmmakers (or even film viewers) are running around making westerns left and right because they're the best thing since the indoor plumbing the films lack. my point was that i haven't seen a single one that would merit making a "top" anything list, and beyond that, i would not be upset if i never saw another one again. but for whatever reason, a lot of people like them enough to add them to their "top" lists. i just don't get it, is all.

CorporalCardinal

Look! A Cards fan in Iraq
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ranomly pieced together list of favorites:

1) Boondock Saints
2) Gettysburg
3) Platoon
4) Braveheart
5) Animal House: Come on, you know you like it!
6) Scent of A Woman
7) The Quiet Man: John Wayne flick about the irish boxer who comes home.
8) Pulp Fiction
9) Equilibrium
10) Dumb and Dumber
11) Donnie Darko: there's a mindbender
12) Henry V
13) Tombstone
14) Black Hawk Down: only war movie that ever left me speechless and thinking about the things I had seen and done.
15) The Untouchables
16) Reseivor Dogs
17) Forrest Gump
18) The Corrupter: Hardly watched by anyone.
19) A Fistfull of Dollars
20) For A Few Dollars More

Anyway, I'm done babbling.:grabs:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jenna2891 said:
i knew what he meant, but i was wondering what about me screamed "chick flick."

Well, I don't think he thought that at all, he was simply making a statement about intended audience after you said you didn't like Westerns. That doesn't mean you only like chick flicks.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jenna2891 said:
calm down, tiger. try not to read to much into it. ;)

i'm not saying filmmakers (or even film viewers) are running around making westerns left and right because they're the best thing since the indoor plumbing the films lack. my point was that i haven't seen a single one that would merit making a "top" anything list, and beyond that, i would not be upset if i never saw another one again. but for whatever reason, a lot of people like them enough to add them to their "top" lists. i just don't get it, is all.

I'm curious as to what Westerns you have seen.