ASFN trying to download files to PC

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See attachment, on the top I have a popup blocker saying it protected my computer from asfn having it download a file - havent seen this before.

Also, google still says ASFN may have been hacked.

Attachments

• download strange.jpg
    download strange.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow, that screenshot uploaded TERRIBLY.

The yellow bar says:

"To help protect your security, internet explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options"

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The yellow bar says:

"To help protect your security, internet explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options"

Don't worry, they are just pictures of a blonde from Nigeria - if we all let her take $20, she can get her granny well.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

The yellow bar says:

Anal-retentive tech guy here, but...

1 - Consider switching away from IE. Firefox, Chrome, even Opera. That's going to immediately stop a LOT of these types of issues. When I go out on jobs it's the one of the first things that I ask the person to do.

2 - Microsoft is going to officially stop supporting XP on April 8th. No more security patches / Windows Updates. That's bad news for any XP computer connected to the internet after that date. Windows 7 is an option as it runs pretty well on older hardware. The only issue is potential driver compatibility. But if your computer can run XP well, it should be able to handle 7 without much of a hitch.

Edit: From the grainy screenshot it looks like you have Firefox as well. Do you get the same prompt in FF? I'm going to guess not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anal-retentive tech guy here, but...

1 - Consider switching away from IE. Firefox, Chrome, even Opera. That's going to immediately stop a LOT of these types of issues. When I go out on jobs it's the one of the first things that I ask the person to do.

2 - Microsoft is going to officially stop supporting XP on April 8th. No more security patches / Windows Updates. That's bad news for any XP computer connected to the internet after that date. Windows 7 is an option as it runs pretty well on older hardware. The only issue is potential driver compatibility. But if your computer can run XP well, it should be able to handle 7 without much of a hitch.

Edit: From the grainy screenshot it looks like you have Firefox as well. Do you get the same prompt in FF? I'm going to guess not.

is my work computer, I get what they give me.

firefox I do work stuff, ie I browse the net with

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
is my work computer, I get what they give me.

firefox I do work stuff, ie I browse the net with

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Ah, OK.

Just to touch on your original post - I'm using Chrome and haven't had any issues like that. Although I think a few months back Chrome, briefly, marked ASFN as a "dangerous" site.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, OK.

Just to touch on your original post - I'm using Chrome and haven't had any issues like that. Although I think a few months back Chrome, briefly, marked ASFN as a "dangerous" site.

it still does say the site may have been hacked on google, probably same thing chrome said.

Since becoming an asfn contributor everything seems to have gone away, must just be advertisement stuff.

Ive had this PC at work for 4 years. With XP support dropping, I am looking forward to the inevitable better machine at work :)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
it still does say the site may have been hacked on google, probably same thing chrome said.

Since becoming an asfn contributor everything seems to have gone away, must just be advertisement stuff.

Ive had this PC at work for 4 years. With XP support dropping, I am looking forward to the inevitable better machine at work :)

MS is extending XP support for businesses but from what I've heard it's VERY expensive. Most will be better off switching to 7 (or 8?) and replacing the machines.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MS is extending XP support for businesses but from what I've heard it's VERY expensive. Most will be better off switching to 7 (or 8?) and replacing the machines.

most everyone here is on 7, new people get new machines. I have never complained and my pc is very fast for being a dinosaur but I am sure I will get one of the hundreds of new dell desktops IT has very soon with windows 7.

My home PC is vista so im looking forward to anything new so I dont sound like an old man when people ask me for tech support on their new software :)

(Getting a new tower in the next month or two at home with windows 8)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard