.ASF Video Player? (Or Anything That Is Compatible To That Extension)

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows if there's a video player that can specifically play files with an .asf or what the best most common player is that happens to be compatible with that extension?

I've been watching a concert video using Windows Media Player and a quarter of a way thru, the player shuts off with the following:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I tried to remedy the situation by doing a Google search of the extension and I thought I did come across the right codec, but to no avail....

Any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance...

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Windows media player I thought, Winamp plays them all. You might have a bad file, casue media should play it. Those adult videos do not always work. :D

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I've got a program that will tell you exactly what codec you need to play a media file... I'll try to dig it up tomorrow.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
I am wondering if anyone knows if there's a video player that can specifically play files with an .asf or what the best most common player is that happens to be compatible with that extension?

I've been watching a concert video using Windows Media Player and a quarter of a way thru, the player shuts off with the following:

I tried to remedy the situation by doing a Google search of the extension and I thought I did come across the right codec, but to no avail....

Any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance...

ASF (which is essentially the same as WMV) is a Microsoft format. It should work with Windows Media Player. The fact that you are able to play part of it should indicates to me correct codec but errors/corruption within the file. Can you skip ahead at all? You also might try to play it with the latest version of Windows Media Player.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kps0001 said:
VLC media is what I use for everything.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Do you attend any Cardinal home games? If so...I definitely owe you a beer... I d/led that program and the file actually worked on that player, so I really appreciate yours and everyone elses response....

Actually, the file is corrupt since the audio track jumps around quite constantly... It's actually a video of the Blur's '00 "Meltdown" festival concert which up until you provided the link to that media-player would (as I mentioned in the my initial post) freeze (didnt matter which media player I tried), but thanks to you now I can watch it all in its entirety.... Again.. I appreciate it and I definitely owe you one!

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
Ah don't sweat it. Glad it worked out for you.

I do go to Cards games now and then. I am too poor or else I would go to em all.

:thumbup: