As You Contemplate the 2019 Cap & Draft

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Add this to your enjoyment. There’s a good chance the Cards have the QBOTF already on their roster at an affordable cost that protects cap space, but also when (not if) they get that very early draft pick they can move it to a team needing a QB for a decent package of picks. Ignore current mocks, there will likely be 3 QBs near the top by year’s end. It won’t be like 2018 but it will help expedite the rebuild.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It will hopefully be one of our more productive offseasons with good draft positioning and lots of cap room. This is still a town people want to be in, even if the team has a down year. The ownership group has proven itself to the rank and file players in the league, the facilities are great, and the town is where people want to be. Even those that retire or change teams keep their home here. Hopefully the rebuild will be a brief one, especially with QBOF on the team (fingers crossed).

Who are the big name FA's in the coming off season? Obviously many will be resigned before the league gets a crack at them, but there are big moves every year.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have truly gone back to the old days of talking draft and next year while the current season is still a fetus. I'm not bashing the posts but making a simple observation.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I say we draft a QB, if Rosen doesn’t work out, next man up!

Tempting but I'd rather the new GM made that call after reviewing Rosen.

It's their job that will be on the line, if they want to roll with him and trade down to gain picks then they should be able to as we could easily end up busting on BOTH and then we'd have truly wasted an astonishing amount on them both.

Just let it all play out the most important thing is to get a quality GM.

With our draft position and our cap space and our blank slate we should be able to get a top candidate.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Tempting but I'd rather the new GM made that call after reviewing Rosen.

It's their job that will be on the line, if they want to roll with him and trade down to gain picks then they should be able to as we could easily end up busting on BOTH and then we'd have truly wasted an astonishing amount on them both.

Just let it all play out the most important thing is to get a quality GM.

With our draft position and our cap space and our blank slate we should be able to get a top candidate.

I dont see a new GM in the Cards... I mentioned it after the introductory presser, then again after SK's shiny new contract... I think MB hired Wilks against SK's wishes... if thats the case, MB wont fire SK if wilks fails...

unless of course SK is sabotaging by intentionally grabbing third rate players....or claiming so and so wouldnt sign

Sultan

Reaction score
Keim has proven to be abysmal at drafting. I wouldnt trust his judgement at all.

For years this team has neglected the Oline. Flash back to 2012 we had a HORRIBLE line and drafted Floyd instead of David DeCastro.

I see Oliver as a cant miss Aaron donald type guy but lets see where a guy that can plug and play at RT might be.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Looking at the 2019 draft, there are some interesting possible trade partners, Green Bay (2 1st and a 2nd) is one unless they believe Kizer is the future. Certainly SD and the Giants are candidates as they have no QBOTF future on their roster and their QBs are getting long of tooth. Houston if Watson fails there could be one especially since they have the a 1st and 2 2nds. The Colts are also there with a 1st and 2 2nds. Not sure why they would trade up unless Luck gets hurt again. Atlanta is a darkhorse here. The Steelers are also a contender unless they believe in Rudolph. You also have to consider the Titans as Mariota is injury prone and hasn't lived up to expectations. NE certainly has the goods with a 1st and 2 2nds if they believe Brady is sliding downhill.

Since you have to take the gamble with Rosen for at least a year or two, I hope the team would seriously look to move what is probably going to be a high position and cash in on a later first and possibly 2 or 3 seconds to grab a T and G in the first two rounds unless a top flight WR is available. The 2019 FA list of WRs is fairly sparse. There are some good to decent choices out there for the Dline and LB in 2019.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Looking at the 2019 draft, there are some interesting possible trade partners, Green Bay (2 1st and a 2nd) is one unless they believe Kizer is the future. Certainly SD and the Giants are candidates as they have no QBOTF future on their roster and their QBs are getting long of tooth. Houston if Watson fails there could be one especially since they have the a 1st and 2 2nds. The Colts are also there with a 1st and 2 2nds. Not sure why they would trade up unless Luck gets hurt again. Atlanta is a darkhorse here. The Steelers are also a contender unless they believe in Rudolph. You also have to consider the Titans as Mariota is injury prone and hasn't lived up to expectations. NE certainly has the goods with a 1st and 2 2nds if they believe Brady is sliding downhill.

Since you have to take the gamble with Rosen for at least a year or two, I hope the team would seriously look to move what is probably going to be a high position and cash in on a later first and possibly 2 or 3 seconds to grab a T and G in the first two rounds unless a top flight WR is available. The 2019 FA list of WRs is fairly sparse. There are some good to decent choices out there for the Dline and LB in 2019.

I would think they would identify how many players are in the draft whom they feel worthy of a top pick...then not trade any further back than allows them to get one of those players.

trading with the pats is likely not worth it as their picks are likely to be in the high twenties....

but maybe trading back 5 spots or so.... we need bodies, but we need some elite talent as well

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JFC, just sit where you are and pick a top talent like P2. Just say no Shenanigans

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Add this to your enjoyment. There’s a good chance the Cards have the QBOTF already on their roster at an affordable cost that protects cap space

This is highly important, Harry. Potentially much more important than the draft spot. Some of the really good teams like the Jaguars, the Rams, and you might even include the Buccaneers, has been able to build up their team around the quarterback because they have their quarterback on a relatively small contract. That allows them to pursue expensive free agents or players on other teams. The Eagles and the Chiefs are other examples of very good teams that have their starting quarterback on a team friendly deal, but those teams are a little different since they have been drafting excellent despite not having great draft spots. What is not different, though, is that all those teams will get into cap problems when their quarterback are up for a contract extension, obviously provided that they are good enough.

In theory, if Rosen pans out, the Cardinals will have the same option to surround Rosen with great players for a number of years.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bama left tackle Jonah Williams or LSU linebacker Devin White top my wish list.

The only acceptable result for a top five draft choice is a perennial pro bowler. I'd rather have an elite player than multiple guys who are well just guys.

The real problem is that Keim and company have an abysmal draft history. So no matter what strategy they choose it will fail.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bama left tackle Jonah Williams or LSU linebacker Devin White top my wish list.

The only acceptable result for a top five draft choice is a perennial pro bowler. I'd rather have an elite player than multiple guys who are well just guys.

The real problem is that Keim and company have an abysmal draft history. So no matter what strategy they choose it will fail.

Keim is hitting on about 50% of his picks which is league average if you excuse the injury bug that's hit a couple of them. Bellicheat gathers a ton of draft picks so he can draft more players because he knows 50% of them won't make it.

Trading back so that Keim can draft 10 players so 5 of them make it is solid approach IMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Keim is hitting on about 50% of his picks which is league average if you excuse the injury bug that's hit a couple of them. Bellicheat gathers a ton of draft picks so he can draft more players because he knows 50% of them won't make it.

Trading back so that Keim can draft 10 players so 5 of them make it is solid approach IMO.
it is a solid approach. To filling out your roster. But a team needs a few game changers in order to be great usually...and those game changers are (usually) drafted in the top five

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it is a solid approach. To filling out your roster. But a team needs a few game changers in order to be great usually...and those game changers are (usually) drafted in the top five

We already have some game changers and at the most important positions for the most part. Hump for now is solid and of course I'm hoping Rosen is the chosen one but PP, DJ and CJ are top notch at their positions. What we lack the most is a play maker at Lber and a quality RT.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
We already have some game changers and at the most important positions for the most part. Hump for now is solid and of course I'm hoping Rosen is the chosen one but PP, DJ and CJ are top notch at their positions. What we lack the most is a play maker at Lber and a quality RT.
Or maybe a critical thinking coaching staff . Currently in think some high school teams are more complex .

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or maybe a critical thinking coaching staff . Currently in think some high school teams are more complex .

I have serious questions about this Coaching staff but I can't believe they are that dumb.

First year HC's are losing at a very large clip so far this season so the limited practice time has to be part of the problem. Yes I see how epically/historically bad this team is playing right now so yeah I have concerns but I'm not giving up on them yet.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So the o
I have serious questions about this Coaching staff but I can't believe they are that dumb.

First year HC's are losing at a very large clip so far this season so the limited practice time has to be part of the problem. Yes I see how epically/historically bad this team is playing right now so yeah I have concerns but I'm not giving up on them yet.
So the opportunity for this coaching staff is to see how they respond to a historically bad stretch of NFL football. If they can dig the team out of this and make them winners, I say they are keepers! :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you have game changers already on the field, you don’t get stomped the way we are. We’re not explosive on offense, and we’re not fast enough ton defense.

David Johnson hasn’t been productive in 18 games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim has proven to be abysmal at drafting. I wouldnt trust his judgement at all.

For years this team has neglected the Oline. Flash back to 2012 we had a HORRIBLE line and drafted Floyd instead of David DeCastro.

I see Oliver as a cant miss Aaron donald type guy but lets see where a guy that can plug and play at RT might be.

with all the high picks and big FA (Deuce, the bulk from the Raiders, Pugh, DJ) signings on the line, I wouldn't say they neglected the o-line. They just have no clue how to actually build a good one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JFC, just sit where you are and pick a top talent like P2. Just say no Shenanigans

agreed. I have no faith Keim would be able to take advantage of more picks further down the line. At this point, he has to be in a position to take someone fool proof so he can prove he's not the fool he's been so far in the first round.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you have game changers already on the field, you don’t get stomped the way we are. We’re not explosive on offense, and we’re not fast enough ton defense.

David Johnson hasn’t been productive in 18 games.

Yep DJ sucks, you got me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard