Arman Tsarukyan: UFC's Hunter Campbell guaranteed title shot after Mauricio Ruffy fight at UFC 331

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Supporting Member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Posts
1,272,335
Reaction score
59
Arman Tsarukyan has his Octagon return set in stone. Instead of the long-awaited and endlessly evasive UFC title shot he continues to pursue, the top-ranked lightweight will collide with rising contender Mauricio Ruffy at UFC 331 on Sept. 19 in Los Angeles.

Outside of MMA, Tsarukyan has been on every kind of side quest imaginable in 2026. He hasn't fought since a second-round submission of Dan Hooker in November. Over that time, Tsaurkyan, 29, has gone 7-1 in wrestling matches with Real American Freestyle (RAF) and racked up a 3-0-1 record in submission grappling matches.

Tsarukyan revealed on Monday's "The Ariel Helwani Show" that a rematch against Charles Oliveira was originally on tap for his UFC return bout.

"I was supposed to fight with Charles, co-main event, five rounds,” Tsarukyan said. “Then I went for my training camp, and they, in two weeks, when I was in the mountains, called me and said, 'We got a new name for you. It's Ruffy.' I said, 'OK. No problem.’

"I don't want to pull out and wait for Charles, because [it’s] LA, five rounds, it's a big card, and I have not fought in long time. I need this fight, so yeah, that's all."


The first Tsarukyan vs. Oliveira fight took place at UFC 300 in April 2024. Tsarukyan defeated the former lightweight champion via a hard-fought three-round split decision. Since then, Oliveira has gone 3-1 and captured the UFC’s ceremonial BMF title in the process.

Speaking Monday, Tsarukyan claimed Oliveira declined the rematch because of the recent death of a friend, which prevented Oliveira from training. Now, however, Oliveira has already been linked to a potential fight against two-time featherweight title challenger Diego Lopes, leaving Tsarukyan dubious of what he was told.

"I don't understand. In three days, he's doing live trainings and back in the camp, probably they already set up a fight with Diego Lopes," Tsarukyan said.

"He was just finding an excuse, and I don't know — everybody is different, yeah. To lose somebody is so hard, but like, you could beat me and dedicate this victory to your friend. But you never know. Of course, [if the choice is] fighting me or Diego Lopes, for sure he would pick Diego Lopes."


For Tsarukyan, it’s not as if he's broken up about the Oliveira rematch failing to come to fruition. His sights remain set on the undisputed crown currently held by Justin Gaethje.

According to Tsarukyan, per a recent meeting with UFC CBO Hunter Campbell, a win over Ruffy guarantees him the lightweight title shot he's long sought. Additionally, he'll make the most money he's ever made in the Ruffy fight, which made the choice to stay active all the easier.

"It's different when your manager is telling you something that they were told, but when you sit with somebody and shake their hand, it's going to be like that," Tsarukyan said.

"[Waiting for Gaethje] was an option, but the best option is to fight and stay active. Especially in LA, I’ve got to be winning. I know I'm the best, so why shouldn't I take the fight? I make good money as well for this fight — good money, hype, and No. 1 contender fight."

Continue reading...
 
Top