Arizona State set to enter NIL collective

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's being reported Arizona State is preparing to enter the NIL collective with business leaders and alumni to benefit ASU athletics.

The article is for subscribers to The Athletic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The podcast below gives a better idea of the kind of money college players are receiving in NIL money. In some cases, millions of dollars. It appears ASU and many PAC-12 teams are late to the party.

This doesn't fully explain why so many ASU football players have entered the transfer portal because there are other factors like not having an established quarterback and the ongoing NCAA investigation.

However, the podcast gives a better look at what NIL is all about.

The interview with Chris Karpman was an eye opener for me.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The podcast below gives a better idea of the kind of money college players are receiving in NIL money. In some cases, millions of dollars. It appears ASU and many PAC-12 teams are late to the party.

This doesn't fully explain why so many ASU football players have entered the transfer portal because there are other factors like not having an established quarterback and the ongoing NCAA investigation.

I would think the NCAA investigation would be a reason why so many players are leaving. Also, the status of Herm Edwards. ASU should of fired Edwards a long time ago. As long as he is the coach, the program will remain unstable. Cut your loses while you can.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think the NCAA investigation would be a reason why so many players are leaving. Also, the status of Herm Edwards. ASU should of fired Edwards a long time ago. As long as he is the coach, the program will remain unstable. Cut your loses while you can.

I think the status of Herm Edwards is only one of several issues. The inability to compete with NIL money, the departure of Jayden Daniels at quarterback and the NCAA investigation are others. Receivers are leaving because they don't have anyone to throw them the ball.

In regard to NIL, it looks like the richest alums are going to have the best players. Elite athletes are reportedly getting paid millions of dollars to play for certain schools.

With this type of money being offered, I'm not sure colleges are any better than minor league teams for professional sports.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the NCAA investigates ASU it might want to look at what is happening with the NIL deals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Linked below is a good article by Dan Murphy, ESPN Staff Writer, for those interested in NIL.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I look forward to listening to the podcast. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t think it matters that ASU is late to the NIL party at this point. They will never really be able to compete on an elite NIL level which means they will never really be able to compete on an elite field level. When you then mix in the transfer portal as currently constructed they will spend time and effort developing players and will end up losing them to bigger better programs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the specifics for NCAA Division I membership NIL guidelines.

Link to article by Dan Murphy ESPN Staff Writer:

Last edited:

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I look forward to listening to the podcast. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t think it matters that ASU is late to the NIL party at this point. They will never really be able to compete on an elite NIL level which means they will never really be able to compete on an elite field level. When you then mix in the transfer portal as currently constructed they will spend time and effort developing players and will end up losing them to bigger better programs.
Outside of Texas, Bama, Ohio State and USC; nobody will compete. You are right, if we develop a 3-4 start recruit, into a star, they'd likely bolt to get paid.

I can the NCAA football mega powers, just starting their own league at this point.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a interesting article about the world of recruiting.

By Brian Wacker New York Post:

A day after Alabama head football coach Nick Saban said that Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher “bought every player” on the Aggies’ team and made similar comments about Deion Sanders and Jackson State as well as Miami’s basketball team, the Crimson Tide coach apologized for his remarks.

“I should have never singled anyone out,” Saban said Thursday on SiriusXM Radio. “That was a mistake. I apologize for that.”

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Outside of Texas, Bama, Ohio State and USC; nobody will compete. You are right, if we develop a 3-4 start recruit, into a star, they'd likely bolt to get paid.

I can the NCAA football mega powers, just starting their own league at this point.

And where do the Texas, Bama, Ohio State and USC players go when they don't get the playing time they want and/or their NIL money dries up?

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

A day after Alabama head football coach Nick Saban said that Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher “bought every player” on the Aggies’ team and made similar comments about Deion Sanders and Jackson State as well as Miami’s basketball team, the Crimson Tide coach apologized for his remarks.

“I should have never singled anyone out,” Saban said Thursday on SiriusXM Radio. “That was a mistake. I apologize for that.”

This whole thing is crazy, I don't really like the disorganized chaos we are currently in, but I am in favor of the players getting compensation and not getting exploited by others higher up the food chain lining their pockets. They work a HELL of a lot harder than most of the college football executives.

I am curious if people's views on this line up with their ideological beliefs. If you are supporter of capitalism, free markets, against government regulation, etc., you are totally on board with the players maxing this out and getting paid as much as possible, right?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This whole thing is crazy, I don't really like the disorganized chaos we are currently in, but I am in favor of the players getting compensation and not getting exploited by others higher up the food chain lining their pockets. They work a HELL of a lot harder than most of the college football executives.

I am curious if people's views on this line up with their ideological beliefs. If you are supporter of capitalism, free markets, against government regulation, etc., you are totally on board with the players maxing this out and getting paid as much as possible, right?
This is not sustainable with absolutely no guardrails. If this continues, programs like ASU will be left in the dust when the richest programs all break away and form their own league.

Even the true capitalistic areas of society are all regulated in some form.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

He's not sorry, he's a petty ass hypocrite. He intentionally took shots at Deion & Jimbo who then held a press conference the next day to insinuate Saban has been doing dirt for years and it wouldn't be hard to find out about it.

What's funny is Saban is a critic but Bryce Young made over $1M last year in NIL deals. Young by the way is a CA kid who attended USC feeder school Mater Dai so why he left Hollywood for Tuscaloosa wasn't for a deep love of the South but the NIL deals Saban enticed him with. Deals he claimed a couple of days ago would make it hard for him and ALA to compete with. Right Nick.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU boosters launch NIL known as Sun Angel Collective.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the above linked article.

By Brandon Brown Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal:

Aug 2, 2022

The Sun Angel Collective was formed to make sure Sun Devil athletes are getting the most from NIL deals and to create an infrastructure that attracts the most talented athletes to ASU, Jeff Burg, the president of the Sun Angel Collective, told the Business Journal.

“We are going to try to be very innovative in the way we roll out different opportunities,” Burg said. “We are going to find opportunities where we can differentiate ourselves from some of the other collectives around the country that these kids might be looking at.”

The Sun Angel Collective wants to be a 501(c)(3) public charity as designated by the Internal Revenue Service. If approved, contributions to the collective will be tax deductible, something Burg hopes will lead to larger individual donations.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on the Sun Angel Collective.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Skeptical until proven otherwise - we were completely unprepared for the reality of NIL, and I don't know how anything moves forward meaningfully until both Herm and Ray are gone.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@jf-08

I like that it's tax-deductible and fans can contribute.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU DC Donnie Henderson on NIL perspective.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skeptical until proven otherwise - we were completely unprepared for the reality of NIL, and I don't know how anything moves forward meaningfully until both Herm and Ray are gone.

I think it's going to be a lot like professional sports at some schools. It's hard to see how the NCAA handles this going forward.

Also, I think the problem starts higher up at ASU.