Arizona State set to enter NIL collective

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reality of not having a solid NIL program, you eliminate 80% of the players you are trying to recruit out of high school and the portal per coach Dillingham.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The reality of not having a solid NIL program, you eliminate 80% of the players you are trying to recruit out of high school and the portal per coach Dillingham.

So we're pretty much screwed unless the big boys start putting up big money? Wonderful.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we're pretty much screwed unless the big boys start putting up big money? Wonderful.

Well, ASU saved some money by Ray Anderson resigning. Oh wait, forget about that.

I'm sure Michael Crow is working on it too... never mind.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, ASU saved some money by Ray Anderson resigning. Oh wait, forget about that.

I'm sure Michael Crow is working on it too... never mind.
Technically, I don’t believe the schools can directly do NIL? As a result, that is why you have these collectives that operate outside of the university structure. I believe that is done to avoid the players being university employees

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically, I don’t believe the schools can directly do NIL? As a result, that is why you have these collectives that operate outside of the university structure. I believe that is done to avoid the players being university employees

I understand, however, I believe it's up to the administration to hire the right coaches and provide a nurturing environment.

Improvements to the basketball facility are long overdue.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A chance to understand more about NIL from Brittani Willett, executive director of Sun Angel Collective.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I didn't even know that Bourguet was getting enough NIL money himself to be able to give this kind of donation. Maybe he has some other kind of wealth too. Nice gesture and effort in any event.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ten plus prominent ASU boosters reportedly contributed a significant amount of money towards the NIL effort at a private Sun Angel Collective event on Thursday.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep, Green gone, after wanting to leave last year too. Kid's gonna get paid.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I read that Green could get $300,000 or more. If so, I can't really blame him. Green's a very good player, but he won't be playing on Sundays. This is his one chance to make some money for himself and his family before his football life ends. I'm glad we got 3 years out of him - he was fun to watch.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that Green could get $300,000 or more. If so, I can't really blame him. Green's a very good player, but he won't be playing on Sundays. This is his one chance to make some money for himself and his family before his football life ends. I'm glad we got 3 years out of him - he was fun to watch.
I think he can make a team. BJ is 6'1 270#. Victor Dimukeje is 6'2 262# and I think could be as possibly as good as him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think he can make a team. BJ is 6'1 270#. Victor Dimukeje is 6'2 262# and I think could be as possibly as good as him
Yeah, he's not too small or obviously not an NFL body. Lots of guys can be random contributors on D-lines. BJ too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, donors will step up to the plate in the "Million Dollar Match" campaign.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
University of Missouri just got a single donation in the amount of $62 million. $50m will be out towards stadium renovations while the remaining amount will go to NIL.

Ross Dellenger, on the College Football Enquirer podcast said that $12m NIL amount is an amount that would cover one year of NIL payments for the upper tier programs. He stated this one year amounts range between $10m-$15m

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Missouri as a state has been really aggressive (proactive?) with NIL. This includes the law that enables high schoolers to get NIL funds if they enroll in a Missouri college (I think I got that right). The money flowing through college football, particularly in the SEC where Mizzou plays and the B1G is truly amazing.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Missouri as a state has been really aggressive (proactive?) with NIL. This includes the law that enables high schoolers to get NIL funds if they enroll in a Missouri college (I think I got that right). The money flowing through college football, particularly in the SEC where Mizzou plays and the B1G is truly amazing.
aggressively proactive.

I don’t think it’s really matters at this point but ASU cannot and will not ever make up the distance at this point. The only way balance returns is probably making the players employees and creating a salary cap that is fully enforced. The problem is, that system will lead back to the $1000 handshakes and under table payouts

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could change the way NIL operates nationwide as Virginia passed a law that allows the school to sign athletes directly to NIL deals starting July 1st.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This could change the way NIL operates nationwide as Virginia passed a law that allows the school to sign athletes directly to NIL deals starting July 1st.

The question is, does our legislature and Governor care enough about this to act. One thing is for certain. Instead of getting out in front and being ahead of the pack, ASU will once again be reactionary and I am betting will be one of the last to the trough.

Honestly, I’m feeling down on college athletics right now

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question is, does our legislature and Governor care enough about this to act. One thing is for certain. Instead of getting out in front and being ahead of the pack, ASU will once again be reactionary and I am betting will be one of the last to the trough.

Welcome to the club. I'm just about out on college sports if ASU can't compete in the major sports.

It's all about the money.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think the legislature in Arizona is too busy on important other matters like making sure all the laws from 1864 are enforced and still on the books to be used against women.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. I'm just about out on college sports if ASU can't compete in the major sports.

It's all about the money.
We’ll miss you. I only say that because it is pretty obvious that ASU cannot compete in the major sports at this point and I’m not sure I see light at the end of that tunnel either. KD is trying his hardest to change that and Willie Bloomquist is wanting to change it (although I’m not sure he knows how). Bobby Hurley is what he is

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ll miss you. I only say that because it is pretty obvious that ASU cannot compete in the major sports at this point and I’m not sure I see light at the end of that tunnel either. KD is trying his hardest to change that and Willie Bloomquist is wanting to change it (although I’m not sure he knows how). Bobby Hurley is what he is

I think it all rests on ASU hiring the right AD who has a vision for the future of college sports.

I'm not sure if they can get it done, but I still hope.

They will need great coaches with loyalty to the school like Frank Kush, Bobby Winkles and Ned Wulk.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Btw, ASU could do a lot better than Bloomquist and Hurley.

Arizona State could bring in a junior college coach better than Bloomquist.