Arizona Hoops 2023-2024 - Getting Up from the Mat After Princeton

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Was really hoping I wouldnt write this until April, but here we are and there will be a lot of moving pieces between now and Sept-October

Scholarship situation

Boswell
Lewis
Fili B
Pelle
Anderson
Ballo
Veesaar
Bradley 5/3
Krivas 5/16
Murauskas 5/17
Johnson 5/20
Conrad Martinez 5/25
Love 5/30

Departures:

Cedric Henderson - graduated
Courtney Ramey - graduated
A. Tubelis - will declare for the draft and likely go pro whether it's the NBA or Europe
T. Tubelis - If Azuolas leaves, Tautvilas likely leaves with him
Kriisa - Transferred - Likely going to Xavier (oops, West Virginia dropped the bag)
Bal - Transferred

*Keep an eye on Dylan Anderson. While it is unlikely he leaves, if Azuolas comes back, Anderson will have a lot to think about w/r/t his future here.

Additions:

KJ Lewis

Look for most of the roster to be filled with transfers, and Arizona has already reached out to a number of the top-tier guys on the market.

There are some secret Euros being recruited, but those names wont be revealed until well into the summer.

There is a small chance that Jamari Phillips will reclassify to 2023, but a lot would have to happen for him to be eligible by next season

Dedan Thomas is a 2024 Arizona recruit that may reclassify to 2023. Something to keep an eye on.

Arizona will have 13 total scholarships, so the scholarship ban that came from the IARP has already been served.

This offseason will be very eventful. I'll update as things change

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't follow the Cats but I'm surprised to hear that Kriisa is transferring. What's the deal with that?

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I don't follow the Cats but I'm surprised to hear that Kriisa is transferring. What's the deal with that?
He was going to have to take a reduced role with Kylan Boswell sliding into the starting lineup and Kerr wasn’t going to like that. Plus, his attitude kind of wore thin on the team. Both sides need to move on

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Was really hoping I wouldnt write this until April, but here we are and there will be a lot of moving pieces between now and Sept-October

Scholarship situation

Boswell
Lewis
Fili B
Pelle
Anderson
Ballo
Veesaar

Departures:

Cedric Henderson - graduated
Courtney Ramey - graduated
A. Tubelis - will declare for the draft and likely go pro whether it's the NBA or Europe
T. Tubelis - If Azuolas leaves, Tautvilas likely leaves with him
Kriisa - Transferred - Likely going to Xavier
Bal - Transferred

*Keep an eye on Dylan Anderson. While it is unlikely he leaves, if Azuolas comes back, Anderson will have a lot to think about w/r/t his future here.

Additions:

KJ Lewis

Look for most of the roster to be filled with transfers, and Arizona has already reached out to a number of the top-tier guys on the market.

There are some secret Euros being recruited, but those names wont be revealed until well into the summer.

There is a small chance that Jamari Phillips will reclassify to 2023, but a lot would have to happen for him to be eligible by next season

Dedan Thomas is a 2024 Arizona recruit that may reclassify to 2023. Something to keep an eye on.

Arizona will have 13 total scholarships, so the scholarship ban that came from the IARP has already been served.

This offseason will be very eventful. I'll update as things change
I noticed you don't have anything about Carter Bryant. He was, not sure if he still is a UA lean since he reportedly was at UA during NCAA Selection Sunday. After embarrassing exit in Round 1 maybe he is looking elsewhere?

EDIT - Just realized Bryant is 2024 class.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I noticed you don't have anything about Carter Bryant. He was, not sure if he still is a UA lean since he reportedly was at UA during NCAA Selection Sunday. After embarrassing exit in Round 1 maybe he is looking elsewhere?

EDIT - Just realized Bryant is 2024 class.
Arizona still leads, but Louisville is in the mix and they have deep pockets. Rick Pitino just offered him, so maybe he brought back the strippers for good luck?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Arizona still leads, but Louisville is in the mix and they have deep pockets. Rick Pitino just offered him, so maybe he brought back the strippers for good luck?
I'm just shocked that UA isn't in on a lot of recruits that are here in Arizona. We have become a hotbed of high school talent with all the prep schools here and most of the high profile kids are leaving the state.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I'm just shocked that UA isn't in on a lot of recruits that are here in Arizona. We have become a hotbed of high school talent with all the prep schools here and most of the high profile kids are leaving the state.
I’ll be honest: I really don’t like Tommy’s recruiting approach. He waits way too long to offer prospects, spends way too much time overseas scouting talent, and has been left at the altar by many recruits. He had KJ Evans in the bag until 2 days before his commitment announcement. Now, the Carter Bryant commitment is dragging on even after spending selection Sunday with the team. with the Euros, they’re Uber talented, but most are soft and aren’t natural leaders. Plus, many domestic recruits get discouraged by a team that is heavily laden with foreign players.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Schedule lining up nicely. This on top of @ Duke

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Appears Kriisa got the bag

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He sucks and they finally decided he sucks.

The real reason is they thought they had Ryan Nembhard, UA boards have been saying for awhile the only reason he was transferring was to go to Arizona but he surprised them and committed to Gonzaga

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are getting mentioned on twitter

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take this as a compliment. We’re an insane bunch

I think fans HAVE to be insane right now. The NIL and the portal have CBB going nuts. UCLA is trying to keep schools from poaching Adem Bona and he's not even in the portal. First Miami apparently made a run at him offering big NIL, now even the admins for the Duke 247 site admit Duke is kicking the tires of Bona, and he's NOT in the portal. How any of that can not be a vioalation is beyond me but apparently nothing will happen. Right now it appears he'll stay at UCLA but that stuff is going on all over.

One of the rumors on BRO is the primary reason Kriisa left Arizona is he thought Nembhard was going to take his spot, any truth to that? Seemed to me it just made sense after 2 years of him stinking it up in the NCAA's I assumed Lloyd was moving on and pushed him out the door.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Lloyd doesn’t quite seem to understand new age recruiting. You have to go after more targets than available spots and let the chips fall where they may. You can just go after a few guys you think you lead for. I’ve also heard Arizona’s NIL opportunities are just average.

I’m not sure I’d even welcome Kerr back after missing out on Nembhard. Him having more responsibilities mixed with an NIT roster is a dangerous mix.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I think fans HAVE to be insane right now. The NIL and the portal have CBB going nuts. UCLA is trying to keep schools from poaching Adem Bona and he's not even in the portal. First Miami apparently made a run at him offering big NIL, now even the admins for the Duke 247 site admit Duke is kicking the tires of Bona, and he's NOT in the portal. How any of that can not be a vioalation is beyond me but apparently nothing will happen. Right now it appears he'll stay at UCLA but that stuff is going on all over.

One of the rumors on BRO is the primary reason Kriisa left Arizona is he thought Nembhard was going to take his spot, any truth to that? Seemed to me it just made sense after 2 years of him stinking it up in the NCAA's I assumed Lloyd was moving on and pushed him out the door.

Hadnt heard that. It was equal parts wanting to give Boswell more control of the offense and the staff and team being sick of his antics.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hadnt heard that. It was equal parts wanting to give Boswell more control of the offense and the staff and team being sick of his antics.

Boswell is legit, when you consider how young he was, the way he played last year was pretty special. He's not a freak athlete or anything but he just gets how to play the game. A little Jalen Brunson type game to him, and for his age a good defender.

I had thought him moving up a year was a mistake, especially with the injury, but it turned out to be a great move for him.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Boom