Arizona Cardinals @ LA Rams Gameday Thread 9/16/18

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. Here goes:

Problems are broad & team-wide.

- Michael B and Steve K made a huge (franchise-killing) mistake when they hired a completely new set of coaches to implement completely new (& alien) strategies without the personnel to effectively implement these new strategies. Nobody seems to know what the bleep they're doing (overall let alone reacting to various types of trickery from opposing teams).

- We went from Man to Zone defensively

- We went from "keep 'em guessing/stretch the field" on offense.

- you can move in that direction if you have the personnel with the talent to do it.

- We don't.

- Run-Run-Pass and 4-3 Zone only works when you have the personnel to execute it.

- Proposal: A more explosive, unpredictable offense (pass on 1st down at least 50% of the time)

- Back to a blitzing man-oriented 3-4.

In other words, employ strategies that best fit the talents and nature of our existing personnel. (Executing dull, orthodox schemes with average or mediocre personnel is a ticket to dull, losing football because we are weak at more than a few key spots on our roster).

Firing coaches may be good for the soul, but I'd be inclined to keep anyone who concisely can explain what we should do strategically (& how we should address opposing matchups/strategies) without sounding like he/she has the IQ of a door-knob.

So far, all I'm hearing is a lot of coachspeak not backed up by action. It's not just one coach, one position or one player - it's the whole enchilada. A lot has to be changd.

Last edited:

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They have to play Rosen. Even if there’s no chance of the playoffs or a winning record. I hope they’re not worried about hurting his confidence by putting him out there too soon. As bad as this offense is i think they damage his confidence more by keeping him on the bench. Darnold is starting and doing ok. Plus, I think the team would respond to a change of on field leadership

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
They have to play Rosen. Even if there’s no chance of the playoffs or a winning record. I hope they’re not worried about hurting his confidence by putting him out there too soon. As bad as this offense is i think they damage his confidence more by keeping him on the bench. Darnold is starting and doing ok. Plus, I think the team would respond to a change of on field leadership

I don't want to see Rosen start yet. But I damn sure want him to get some series in garbage time where there is no pressure to win (or even score).

Watching Bradford playing to not get injured (or is it a crappy scheme), either way it's not the future and Rosen will probably get the nod at some point in the season. Why not have Rosen already having experienced some live play during blowouts where the risk to him is minimal before that happens?

He should have gotten the final drive series (or the final two) today.

If anything it might possibly incentivize Bradford to be push harder going forward knowing the death knell is closer than he appears to think.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why not quit slinging darts and just stick with the game.No need to be obnoxious.Cards are being obnoxious enough for everybody.
Because I’ve just had enough of posters doing stupid crap like that, okay? I’m posting about the game. I’m not talking to, or calling any one poster out. But then Wisconsin (and others) have to come in and attack you just becasue they don’t like what you say. By saying “bye” he’s inviting me to leave. That’s not his call. His sanctimonious crap is uncalled for. If doesn’t think the game is over he can say so, but no . . . he’s gotta go personal. Why the hell is that necessary? I peppered Wisconsin to make a point. Not about the game but about his making a personal jab. It’s just not friggin necessary.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hmmm..... You're a great poster Chopper, but you're reaching here just a little bit man.

You're acting like Kirk is a proven commodity, and that fitz isn't a zillion years old. And DJ's a running back?

I'm not trying to be an apologist, I'm just saying that (Fitz + Kirk + JJ nelson) < Brandon Cook

If we had Cook on our Roster, and still couldn't cross mid-field until 30 seconds left in the game, then okay, I would be more upset with McCoy.
DJ is a mis-match nightmare if you understand how to use him.

Fitz is a hall of famer who was productive out of the slot last year.

Kirk was a high second rounder...if he can't be a weapon, then they shouldn't have picked him.

Hell, RSJ is a mis match player if you are smart.

Chase Edmonds.

I get that we don't have talent to be a top offense, but if you can't scheme this into competence, you are the problem. Robert Woods was a waste before he went to a good coach. Same with Goodwin. I don't buy the argument that we don't have enough talented players to have an average offense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
OK. Here goes:

- Michael B and Steve K made a huge (franchise-killing) mistake when they hired a completely new set of coaches to implement completely new (& alien) strategies without the personnel to effectively implement these new strategies. Nobody seems to know what the bleep they're doing (overall let alone reacting to various types of trickery from opposing teams).

- you can move in that direction if you have the personnel with the talent to do it.

- We don't.

- Run-Run-Pass and 4-3 Zone only works when you have the personnel to execute it.

- Proposal: A more explosive, unpredictable offense (pass on 1st down at least 50% of the time)

In other words, employ strategies that best fit the talents and nature of our existing personnel. (Executing dull, orthodox schemes with average or mediocre personnel is a ticket to dull, losing football because we are weak at more than a few key spots on our roster).

Firing coaches may be good for the soul, but I'd be inclined to keep anyone who concisely can explain what we should do strategically (& how we should address opposing matchups/strategies) without sounding like he/she has the IQ of a door-knob.

So far, all I'm hearing is a lot of coachspeak not backed up by action. It's not just one coach, one position or one player - it's the whole enchilada. A lot has to be changd.
This is what happens when the people who are making the change are in over their head. It isn't the change that is the problem, it is who is making the change. If your defensive head coach can't figure out before free agency starts that Buc and Reddick can't play in his defense, that is a problem. If you hire an offensive coach who is not creative, you are stupid to believe that he can be successful without superior offensive personnel. Our defense doesn't know how to line up, that is coaching. We didn't play our starters in the preseason when installing a new scheme, that is on coaching. We have missed on a ton of high draft picks, that is on our GM. It isn't the change that is the problem.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
This is what happens when the people who are making the change are in over their head. It isn't the change that is the problem, it is who is making the change. If your defensive head coach can't figure out before free agency starts that Buc and Reddick can't play in his defense, that is a problem. If you hire an offensive coach who is not creative, you are stupid to believe that he can be successful without superior offensive personnel. Our defense doesn't know how to line up, that is coaching. We didn't play our starters in the preseason when installing a new scheme, that is on coaching. We have missed on a ton of high draft picks, that is on our GM. It isn't the change that is the problem.

Washed up like that 12th beer he had before getting in his SUV

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
OK. Here goes:

- We don't.

What I find most interesting is that the people on here who defended the McCoy hire, said he was good because he adapts his offense to the personnel. I've seen this guy get/take credit for things he had little or no control over: Manning created the Denver offense, Tebow was an anomaly, because he would just draw crap up on the sand...in San Diego McCoys offensive performances were night and day different with and without This as OC.

This guy is predictably awful! He needs to go immediately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
OK. Here goes:

- We don't.

All of this:clapping:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Because I’ve just had enough of posters doing stupid crap like that, okay? I’m posting about the game. I’m not talking to, or calling any one poster out. But then Wisconsin (and others) have to come in and attack you just becasue they don’t like what you say. By saying “bye” he’s inviting me to leave. That’s not his call. His sanctimonious crap is uncalled for. If doesn’t think the game is over he can say so, but no . . . he’s gotta go personal. Why the hell is that necessary? I peppered Wisconsin to make a point. Not about the game but about his making a personal jab. It’s just not friggin necessary.

Neither are the over the top responses that you usually make.Look everyone is angry and ticked off and disgusted right now so maybe all of us need to think a bit before blasting each other.Myself included.Like I said the team is bad enough to for everyone to have a mutual anger at poor football played so far.

Rams1Fan

Rookie
Reaction score
DJ is a mis-match nightmare if you understand how to use him.

Fitz is a hall of famer who was productive out of the slot last year.

Kirk was a high second rounder...if he can't be a weapon, then they shouldn't have picked him.

Hell, RSJ is a mis match player if you are smart.

Chase Edmonds.

I get that we don't have talent to be a top offense, but if you can't scheme this into competence, you are the problem. Robert Woods was a waste before he went to a good coach. Same with Goodwin. I don't buy the argument that we don't have enough talented players to have an average offense.
I agree. You may be light on wideout but you have a stud at RB and depth there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Neither are the over the top responses that you usually make.Look everyone is angry and ticked off and disgusted right now so maybe all of us need to think a bit before blasting each other.Myself included.Like I said the team is bad enough to for everyone to have a mutual anger at poor football played so far.
The response would never come if the attack wasn’t made in the first place. I was commenting on the team, Wisconsin took a swing at me. Uncalled for.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score