Arizona Basketball 2019-2020

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had Tyrell Terry come back for them I think it would be a no brainer for Ziaire. They’d be returning some solid players in Terry and De Silva along with solid role players. Without Terry in the fold I think AZ with Ziaire is better than Stanford with Ziaire. It’s pretty clear Nike is paying the bills here.

hard to say until it's totally clear. Terry's farewell message sure looked like I'm gone not I'm testing but he could change his mind. But right now if you look at the roster Stanford does have a PG, Daejon Davis, if he's healthy(injured much of last year) he could come much closer to his freshman season 47% overall 40 from 3 than his junior year. Having a true senior PG might be just the sort of thing Williams is looking for since it's not really clear who Arizona's PG will be. Akinjo can play but he's a very ball dominant guard he's not really a PG and unless all the comments from people like Boeheim actually made an impression on him, or Miller a former PG can, he's still a guy who shoots way too much, makes just over a third of his shots, and is not a team player. Unless Brandon Williams' knee comes back you're going to be playing a combo guard at PG, or a guy like Terry who's allegedly a point forward, and a freshman.

So if I'm Williams I can certainly make the case I'd rather play with Davis, Jones and DaSilva than with Akinjo, and IF Terry comes back Stanfords' starting 5 is really good on paper.

I guess we'll see everyone has said they can't read this recruitment

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
hard to say until it's totally clear. Terry's farewell message sure looked like I'm gone not I'm testing but he could change his mind. But right now if you look at the roster Stanford does have a PG, Daejon Davis, if he's healthy(injured much of last year) he could come much closer to his freshman season 47% overall 40 from 3 than his junior year. Having a true senior PG might be just the sort of thing Williams is looking for since it's not really clear who Arizona's PG will be. Akinjo can play but he's a very ball dominant guard he's not really a PG and unless all the comments from people like Boeheim actually made an impression on him, or Miller a former PG can, he's still a guy who shoots way too much, makes just over a third of his shots, and is not a team player. Unless Brandon Williams' knee comes back you're going to be playing a combo guard at PG, or a guy like Terry who's allegedly a point forward, and a freshman.

So if I'm Williams I can certainly make the case I'd rather play with Davis, Jones and DaSilva than with Akinjo, and IF Terry comes back Stanfords' starting 5 is really good on paper.

I guess we'll see everyone has said they can't read this recruitment

It just sounds like he wants to be at Stanford. Yes they’re a worse program but so was Cal when Rabb spurned Arizona. I read somewhere that Haase wrote him a letter everyday for 365 straight days. You’ve got to tip your cap and move on.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If it means Miller's gone now, I am fine with the embarrassment of losing Williams to Jerod Haase and Stanford. At this point, even a flyer on Damon Stoudamire, Joseph Blair, Reggie Geary or Josh Pastner would be an improvement over Miller.

None of those guys have had sustained success at any level. Miller will go into next year without an extension and won’t be retained.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
None of those guys have had sustained success at any level. Miller will go into next year without an extension and won’t be retained.

Then why waste the year? We've endured enough.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just sounds like he wants to be at Stanford. Yes they’re a worse program but so was Cal when Rabb spurned Arizona. I read somewhere that Haase wrote him a letter everyday for 365 straight days. You’ve got to tip your cap and move on.

He picked stanford.

All I can say from the video on his Twitter page, his mom is a hottie.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Emphasis on move on. Sean Miller is currently holding this program back, causing it to fall behind Oregon, USC, UCLA, ASU and now Stanford (and arguably Colorado as well).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FYI Haase got that from personal experience. When Jason Kidd was being recruited then Kansas assistant Mark Turgeon wrote him a letter every day for more than a year, I wanna say it was like 2 years. Kidd said at a certain point it was almost counter productive what can you say EVERY day? Of course in the end Kidd picked Cal and in hindsight likely got paid to go there.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yet another recruiting loss by Miller as Minlend chooses Louisville (and Miller's former assistant, Chris Mack) over Arizona. It's looking like Miller will not even be able to fill all of his scholarships next year. We could see as many as 4 or 5 scholarships go to walk-on types. This is clearly the lowest point this program has seen since the final Ben Lindsey year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Getting Terrell Brown from Seattle plus being added to the lists Paolo Banchero and Nolan Hickman lead you to believe the rumors of Jason Terry coming on as an assistant are true.

They’ll need to add an international big man though.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Getting Terrell Brown from Seattle plus being added to the lists Paolo Banchero and Nolan Hickman lead you to believe the rumors of Jason Terry coming on as an assistant are true.

They’ll need to add an international big man though.

Meanwhile, even if that's true, and both Banchero and Hickman come (extremely unlikely we get even one of them), we will only have 8 D-1 level players on the roster (including zero power forwards) for 2020-21.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Calling it like it is. There are only 8 scholarships filled for this coming season, and other than Walton, we have run out of recruits.

Recruiting will pick up after Terry is named an assistant coach.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, we now have a 9th D-1 level player for this coming season. The problem is that 4 are point guards.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We are going the Gonzaga route of recruiting internationally. There’s supposedly another one on the way who’s more of a combo big.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We are going the Gonzaga route of recruiting internationally. There’s supposedly another one on the way who’s more of a combo big.

The big is legit. Better inside presence, but he’s a legit high major D-I starter

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Recruiting will pick up after Terry is named an assistant coach.

I see a pattern here with JET and Murphy being hired in consecutive years. Miller is trying to win over Lute-era players and people, though Murphy is a quality coach and JET has the north west connection and NBA rep.

Oddly enough, when the BS Schlabach article was published, JET called for Miller to be fired. That fence seems to have been mended

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I hope you're right. A team of 4 point guards (though I guess Baker will now play the 2 exclusively, and Akinjo and Brown can be extremely small 2s as well), two wings and 3 centers is going nowhere.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isa Silva announcing for Stanford on Tue. Arizona was on the list I assume with the foreign commit any chance of Silva going to ARizona was gone. Silva is class of 21, he's good, plays for Jesuit in Sacramento so Stanford is fairly local. I don't think he was going to ARizona anyways it's pretty apparent the family wanted him local.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Isa Silva announcing for Stanford on Tue. Arizona was on the list I assume with the foreign commit any chance of Silva going to ARizona was gone. Silva is class of 21, he's good, plays for Jesuit in Sacramento so Stanford is fairly local. I don't think he was going to ARizona anyways it's pretty apparent the family wanted him local.

That’s an interesting one because Stanford loses everyone going into 21’...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The big is legit. Better inside presence, but he’s a legit high major D-I starter

I hope you're not talking about Tibet Gorener, who is a combo SF/PF (far more SF than PF) and who is a mid-major-level prospect.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Good. Any idea as to timing on identifying this prospect? Could use some good news.
Hopefully not much longer, but there are other variables in play that may make it challenging to nab him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave