Arguments for Cards taking 1 of top 2 qbs if available in draft

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I'm not so sure it would not make sense for many of the following reasons:
1. He wouldn't cost so much being on rookie contract.
2. If KM isn't totally in top form until 2024.
3. Expect Kyler will suffer another major injury before his contract is up.
4. We could already have our next QB with what could amount to a couple years of not only growth but even experience by time KM's contract expires.
5. If KM should fully recover and light it up for 3 years, we could have some trade bait.
6. We have to pay someone to start and then backup KM up, why not someone on a rookie contract who may turn out to be our next decent franchise QB.
7. You never know how long you may go before you get another opportunity to get a serious starting QB in the draft.

I would give it some serious thought if one of the two or three top QBs are there for us. I know we need so much more help, especially to support KM when he is capable of returning. But what if he never does or is never the same? How much is a QB insurance policy worth?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Nope. Under no circumstances do they pick another top 10, or even Day 1 or 2 QB. You have to wait to see how KM turns out....AND the better path is to build the trenches, 1st, that way if KM doesn't come back to form when you do draft another top rookie QB there's a solid team around him.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would draft the QB.
I mean, what else can go wrong?
We don't play our 1st or 2nd rounders anyway. Sometimes we even miss/whiff the pick.
Worst case KM returns by the season opener and lights it up, while we have a competent backup/trade bait. Maybe a possible Brock Osweiler or Jimmy G haul.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I would draft the QB.
I mean, what else can go wrong?
We don't play our 1st or 2nd rounders anyway. Sometimes we even miss/whiff the pick.
Worst case KM returns by the season opener and lights it up, while we have a competent backup/trade bait. Maybe a possible Brock Osweiler or Jimmy G haul.
Oh, a lot could go wrong. Any QB at Kyler's age and salary, whether or not he has pristine character, would have no incentive to play for the Cardinals ever again if they pulled that off

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'd say no to doing that this year with how the QB class is looking. We know that they're going to suck again next year with the state of the roster and cap thanks to Keim. So take trench guys this year and then I'd use the top pick that the Cards will have next year on one. Assuming there's someone in the QB class worth it. They're then a year further into Kyler's boondoggle, the lines are in better shape, and they don't waste one of the QB's cheap years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me this is the year to load up other spots.

Hope for Jalen Carter or Will Anderson, if not them a CB like Ringo. It depends what happens at coach etc but I'd really try and find out this offseason what you can get for Simmons in a trade and if it's reasonable, do it to get another pick.

We need to improve the interior OL, we have to figure out what to do at OT with 2 guys who both appear only to be able to play LT and Beechum falling off a cliff.

If it's me get an immediate impact player with the first pick, probably on defense, and then try and improve the OL. We also desperately need speed at RB which is why i keep mentioning Devon Achane although he'll probably go too high. Even though he wasn't great in Miami this year losing Chase really impacted our offense, the only speed runner we had we cut (Eno) and the only other speed runner we have, Kyler, is coming off an ACL.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
N
To me this is the year to load up other spots.

Hope for Jalen Carter or Will Anderson, if not them a CB like Ringo. It depends what happens at coach etc but I'd really try and find out this offseason what you can get for Simmons in a trade and if it's reasonable, do it to get another pick.

We need to improve the interior OL, we have to figure out what to do at OT with 2 guys who both appear only to be able to play LT and Beechum falling off a cliff.

If it's me get an immediate impact player with the first pick, probably on defense, and then try and improve the OL. We also desperately need speed at RB which is why i keep mentioning Devon Achane although he'll probably go too high. Even though he wasn't great in Miami this year losing Chase really impacted our offense, the only speed runner we had we cut (Eno) and the only other speed runner we have, Kyler, is coming off an ACL.
No way would I take a CB in the top 10… too many holes and won’t matter w out a real pass rush. You draft in the trenches for at least the first 2 rounds. There’s 2 OL projected in the top 10 in our most likely spot 5th-7th overall. Maybe you can trade back a few spots if we get #4 for someone who wants CJ Stroud…. As I think it’s a near lock to go Young - Carter - Anderson as 1,2,3.. then the talent drops down a a tier.

CBs are so hit or miss in round 1.. I like the Oregon kid, but he’s not Sauce Gardner. We need day 1 impact.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing we still don’t know where we will be drafting, who’s the GM or the head coach makes it hard to predict what we will do.
Me? I would trade down if at all possible. Yes I would look for a Qb but not until the 3rd round that can be groomed for a year or two in case Kyler doesn’t “ grow”.
It would be great to turn our 1st pick into 3 picks.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Kyler's contract is going to kill us in the next few years. We need to give him help instead of drafting another QB before the 3rd round. He has a cannon for an arm and we are invested.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
Nope. Under no circumstances do they pick another top 10, or even Day 1 or 2 QB. You have to wait to see how KM turns out....AND the better path is to build the trenches, 1st, that way if KM doesn't come back to form when you do draft another top rookie QB there's a solid team around him.
The problem is that this is exactly what the Cards way has always been.

We've seen everything that Murray is at this point. We have to ride out his contract anyway. Don't hamstring ourselves. Sunk cost fallacy.

I'm all about flipping the Cards way on its head. I'm all good with a QB with our #1.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that this is exactly what the Cards way has always been.

We've seen everything that Murray is at this point. We have to ride out his contract anyway. Don't hamstring ourselves. Sunk cost fallacy.

I'm all about flipping the Cards way on its head. I'm all good with a QB with our #1.
Ok, who would you take?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
N

No way would I take a CB in the top 10… too many holes and won’t matter w out a real pass rush. You draft in the trenches for at least the first 2 rounds. There’s 2 OL projected in the top 10 in our most likely spot 5th-7th overall. Maybe you can trade back a few spots if we get #4 for someone who wants CJ Stroud…. As I think it’s a near lock to go Young - Carter - Anderson as 1,2,3.. then the talent drops down a a tier.

CBs are so hit or miss in round 1.. I like the Oregon kid, but he’s not Sauce Gardner. We need day 1 impact.

I hear you but I feel the same way about the OL's that you do about the CB"s. I love Ringo I think he's going to be a star although he's somewhat hard to rate because he's played 2 years on a college team stacked with NFL talent all over the field.

Johnson and Skoronski are both intriguing but Johnson was a guard earlier in his career I know TOSU is stacked with talent year after year but I worry about a 5 star recruit at OT who has to move to guard to get on the field. Skoronski is the better player now, I prefer him but I think he's going to be a good pro where I think Ringo will be a pro bowl player if he reaches his considerable ceiling. Big kid who was a track star in HS, probably not as polished as the other guys he only played 2 years of college but elite talent. I think he'd play right away for us .

I want Carter or Anderson

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you but I feel the same way about the OL's that you do about the CB"s. I love Ringo I think he's going to be a star although he's somewhat hard to rate because he's played 2 years on a college team stacked with NFL talent all over the field.

Johnson and Skoronski are both intriguing but Johnson was a guard earlier in his career I know TOSU is stacked with talent year after year but I worry about a 5 star recruit at OT who has to move to guard to get on the field. Skoronski is the better player now, I prefer him but I think he's going to be a good pro where I think Ringo will be a pro bowl player if he reaches his considerable ceiling. Big kid who was a track star in HS, probably not as polished as the other guys he only played 2 years of college but elite talent. I think he'd play right away for us .

I want Carter or Anderson
Either of those. I do think the Dline is the stacked position for the 1st round draft both off the edge and DT. I have been beating the drum for years now to draft a powerful DT/NT. But I will also take one of the pass rushers.

And I am really not in much of mood to hear we can get one of those positions in later rounds so we better draft offense or CB. Or even worse a LB who can do it all. I am sick of getting gashed in the run.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Kyler's contract is going to kill us in the next few years. We need to give him help instead of drafting another QB before the 3rd round. He has a cannon for an arm and we are invested.
That part of why I said build the trenches this draft and then pick up the QB next year. I have a huge concern about Kyler getting back to even close to what he was. Coming back from this will be as much mental as physical for him. He's shown over the last 4 years that he's a mental midget. If he comes back even more gun shy of contact then he needs to retire and pick up a bat.