Are you a "hard fan"?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a fan of the Suns since I was 3 years old I think. My dad took me to games right away. I'm a native and have lived in Phoenix my entire life.

I may not get my car all decked out, or have season tickets, but I watch almost every game a year, and live and die with this team.

During last night's game, my wife looked at me and said, "I forgot about the playoffs...you are fine all season long, but once the playoffs start...you become a different fan. You are a hard fan."

And by this, she means...when things aren't going well, I'm harsh on my team...I'm yelling at them for not playing like they should.

Heck, when they score and are behind, I will sometimes get mad at the way they scored. Like last night, Diaw drove on Kobe and just layed it up...instead of dunking it hard to get the arena rocking...I got bugged by that.

I'm just curious...because reading the game thread...seems like I'm not the only one.

We're die-hards...but when we're losing, it kills us...and we are behind our team, but we are also hard on them...wanting them to perform and be better than they are.

Anyone else out there with me?

Mike

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
I hear you. When the Suns were mounting their last comeback, I *almost* found myself willing them to lose, if only because they had no business winning that game given how they played. Ask my wife - I was not probably not a particularly pleasant human being last night. :)

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I have been to Phoenix once in my life (a 4 day trip to watch 2 suns games by the way). I am from a country in which people that like basketball are 1 to 100,000, and the ones who do like it stoped watching when Jordan retired.

Everyone sees me as a freak or a really really weird person. But what the hell!!!! At last nights game I found my self yelling at the TV things like.... "They pay you guys millions tu put the Fuickng (I learned this in the EE board by the way) ball into a basketball and you can't do that!!!!, That's your job damn it!!!!"

Last edited:

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a hard fan, but I dont do too much screaming at the TV if the Suns are doing poorly. I usually internalize all of my feelings and become miserable to be around.

In fact, I am just the opposite, I am the most vocal when the Suns are playing well. My wife knows that if there is a bunch of noise coming from downstairs, that it is safe to come down and watch the game. If it's quiet, she knows I am probably watching a miserable game...like last night.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I like to consider myself a soft fan. ;)

But I still yell at them when they mess up.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
When the Suns play poorly, like Charles V, I internalize it. I get depressed and die a little inside. But when the Suns are doing well and start going on a run, I flip-out and start hurling obscenities at th TV screen, so much so that the South Park guys would even start blushing. Okay, okay... they wouldn't blush, but the language does get pretty blue.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got straight from "hard fan" to "burned out fan." I joke, but I've stopped holding expectations. It's just not worth the future heart failure.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I have been a die-hard suns fans for years.

I have gotten over the screaming and blaming the refs DURING THE SEASON! but, during the playoffs I get back to screaming, and blaming the refs, and being in a bad mood......LIKE TODAY!

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
My wife turns to me and says, "Michael, do you know how many times you've said FU** tonight?"

I said, "I don't give a FU**".

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I have been a die-hard suns fans for years.

I have gotten over the screaming and blaming the refs DURING THE SEASON! but, during the playoffs I get back to screaming, and blaming the refs, and being in a bad mood......LIKE TODAY!

I scream about refs calls and non-calls almost all game long........every game all season long. I complain about the Suns mistakes and missed shots in a normal tone and occasionaly admire nice plays the other team makes. I also yell pretty good when we make some amazing plays. Last night I was screaming at Marion to not leave Odom and he just kept doing it to play help defense and Lamar kept hitting threes.......apparently he couldn't hear me and I'll have to yell louder next time.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm more of an internalizer like some of the others, however I do let the occasional f-bomb drop when I'm not happy with a call or a string of events, and I will clap on a particularly good play.

I'm generally a really positive and optimistic person but when the Suns lose a big game (like last night) I become miserable as well like charles V. After the spurs series last year i was pretty grumpy for a week after.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
sly fly said:
My wife turns to me and says, "Michael, do you know how many times you've said FU** tonight?"

I said, "I don't give a FU**".
That’s funny. When my kids were born I had to totally modify the way I watch sports on TV. My old roommate and I used to scare the children playing outside our apartment when we would watch sports. I’ve come a long way over the last 10 years. If my wife hears me drop an F-bomb nowadays she knows that something EXTREMELY bad just happened and she stays away for a while. And my old roommate doesn’t break furniture anymore either.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
That’s funny. When my kids were born I had to totally modify the way I watch sports on TV. My old roommate and I used to scare the children playing outside our apartment when we would watch sports. I’ve come a long way over the last 10 years. If my wife hears me drop an F-bomb nowadays she knows that something EXTREMELY bad just happened and she stays away for a while. And my old roommate doesn’t break furniture anymore either.

Yeah, it's a pretty wise decision to just stay completely away from me if they're playing like they did last night... especially when I saw Marion dogging it again.

I had a large pizza waiting for me in the kitchen. I wasn't even going to touch that thing, since my appetite was gone.

nickolaskus

Reaction score
It hurts even more when your a huge suns fan, and also put money on the game and they play like they did last night. Bad, bad feeling. :bang:

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nickolaskus said:
It hurts even more when your a huge suns fan, and also put money on the game and they play like they did last night. Bad, bad feeling. :bang:

Bah! Never bet on your team....!!!!

Mike

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't get upset much any more during the games and when I do it's not so much the players that are the objects of my ire as the coaches or management. I've sort of reached the point where I think the players are just what they are and its up to the coach to teach them do what he wants and adjust his plans to what they are capable of and good at. If the coach is a muddlehead, like FJ, or the players are a bunch of softies or an ill-fitted group then I get ticked at the GM.

It doesn't really diminish the pain, it just tends to spread it over the year.