Are y’all going to say he still can’t throw on the run?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Not sure about anyone else... but my concerns with him are not outside the pocket. It’s when he’s in the pocket that he needs WORK!

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love the Hail Hopkins pass. I'll agree he can throw on the run when he is on the move and hits a WR for a ten-yard gain. I will agree he has an arm and can heave it 50 yards but . . . the football gods were smiling on that completion.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly feel at this point PFF is just trying to defend their prior rankings on QBs across the board. There is almost no movement from week to week on the QB rankings and the obvious poor rankings are nit picked weekly while guys like Cousins are excused

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great throw, great catch but let's not forget the comedy of errors this team seems to make every single week put them in this situation. If you think last minute run and throws is going to win you very many games you are kidding yourself. A win is a win and it was a great finish but my gosh I would like to see us blow out more teams with the #1 offense.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure about anyone else... but my concerns with him are not outside the pocket. It’s when he’s in the pocket that he needs WORK!
He was the 2nd rated passer from the pocket in PFF before this game.

He was 18/24 before the int w/Fitz play.

He's just fine and going to get better from the pocket.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
He was the 2nd rated passer from the pocket in PFF before this game.

He was 18/24 before the int w/Fitz play.

He's just fine and going to get better from the pocket.

The Fitz interception, the damn nose of the ball hit the ground ( clearly visible on the replay and why it squirted straight up..that was an atrocious call)

Having said that, Murray has in the last 2 games failed to lead the receiver, causing way to many knockdowns

I am about as far from an expert as you will meet and it is clear as day..

I still think K1 is the best qb in football and i have no doubt at all, watching films, they will fix that quick ... I love that about him, he knows when he was not perfect and that (after winning his SB) is his goal.. perfection..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fitz interception, the damn nose of the ball hit the ground ( clearly visible on the replay and why it squirted straight up..that was an atrocious call)

Having said that, Murray has in the last 2 games failed to lead the receiver, causing way to many knockdowns

I am about as far from an expert as you will meet and it is clear as day..

I still think K1 is the best qb in football and i have no doubt at all, watching films, they will fix that quick ... I love that about him, he knows when he was not perfect and that (after winning his SB) is his goal.. perfection..

This is what I saw as well. On the Fitz interception the ball hit the ground looking at the replay.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a great throw, no doubt about that, but come on. The one time he does it doesn't negate the 100 times he doesn't.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

That's funny because Murray has been better in the pocket than outside the pocket this year.

The most underrated storyline for the Cardinals this year is how much Murray has improved in the pocket. It's probably the main reason the Cardinals have a winning record.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I posted a thread about the throw. However, this is not what most observers are speaking about when discussing throwing on the run. They mean pulling up, setting you feet and stepping into the throw. I’m not saying Murray can’t do this. I’m just say he often doesn’t. In fact I got excited when he did this a couple of games ago. He needs to perfect this. With his ability to move this could make him even more deadly. These can be structured plays put into the game plan. Otherwise several times he’s created enough space from rushers to setup, but he tends to just run. Once they pin him against the sideline it’s tougher to run. If he pulls up, he’ll be even more effective.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's funny because Murray has been better in the pocket than outside the pocket this year.

The most underrated storyline for the Cardinals this year is how much Murray has improved in the pocket. It's probably the main reason the Cardinals have a winning record.

True. As the PFF rankings from the pocket show.

But, that isn't how most fans here are evaluating him. Look at the big picture? PSHAW! Subjective opinions based on emotional reactions to the bad plays rule the day.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I mean, I get on him and am hard on him when he screws up (the game totally changed after missing wide open Fitz), but I'm also insanely happy with the progress he's made this year. Last year, I didn't want him, then watched him make a bunch of rookie mistakes, and was doubtful he can overcome them. Now I'm not. He's made such strides in his 2nd season, I have no doubt he can lead us to a SB win someday. We just need to get it all around him, and he needs to fully develop. I'm confident he can do so.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Yes, he’s improved - slightly, in the pocket. But the main reason why the Cards have winning record is due to his feet. Saw some crazy stat the other day that show Murray leading in sacks avoided. The first downs he converts with his legs and of course, his league-leading rushing TD’s are the reasons we have a winning record. Hell, the Hail Murray shouldn’t have ever happened as any other QB would’ve been sacked on that play!
Hey, he’s not even done with year 2, so hope remains that he can improve on his ability to become a more refined pocket passer while still maintaining his freakish skills outside the pocket!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes, he’s improved - slightly, in the pocket. But the main reason why the Cards have winning record is due to his feet. Saw some crazy stat the other day that show Murray leading in sacks avoided. The first downs he converts with his legs and of course, his league-leading rushing TD’s are the reasons we have a winning record. Hell, the Hail Murray shouldn’t have ever happened as any other QB would’ve been sacked on that play!
Hey, he’s not even done with year 2, so hope remains that he can improve on his ability to become a more refined pocket passer while still maintaining his freakish skills outside the pocket!

No he hasn't improved slightly. He's improved alot in the pocket. He doesn't bail constantly. He has been sacked a fraction as much. Yes he is great at avoiding sacks, he also moves around in the pocket and climbs the pocket too now, which he didn't do last year at all.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems like he is taking deeper drops this year.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
No he hasn't improved slightly. He's improved alot in the pocket. He doesn't bail constantly. He has been sacked a fraction as much. Yes he is great at avoiding sacks, he also moves around in the pocket and climbs the pocket too now, which he didn't do last year at all.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems like he is taking deeper drops this year.

Hey - we're winning... I'm not gonna argue this important, but very fine point... My opinion remains that Murray still has a ton to learn and to develop in terms of being a high-quality and reliable pocket passer. But until then, I'll take the W's any which way they come!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hey - we're winning... I'm not gonna argue this important, but very fine point... My opinion remains that Murray still has a ton to learn and to develop in terms of being a high-quality and reliable pocket passer. But until then, I'll take the W's any which way they come!

Totally agree.

Murray isn't even close to a finished product, but few QBs are at this point.

Russell Wilson wasn't as good as Murray at this point in Murray's career, though Wilson had a dominant running game and historically good defense supporting him.

Too many fans get caught up in the guys that hit their peak or near peak quickly (Mahomes). Often it takes QBs 3-4 years before they truly become the player that they will be.

Look at Brees in San Diego. He had a rough start in San Diego, and the Chargers moved on just as he started to be the player he was going to be. Murray is ahead of his curve.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave