Are we risking league intervention with this level of tanking?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A nightmare. And imagine the heads that will role is the sales department because they will be blamed. Bidwill is going to be the only owner who loses money when he changes the uniforms at the fans request. Failson indeed.
I’m sure Monti has a very good VP of Sales in mind to recommend. This is how the toxic New England model gets installed.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
I was listening to a recent episode of the Slow News Day podcast and they were going over this. The Cards came up at the end of the conversation. The Washington deal is kind of a game-changer for a lot of family-owned companies.

Perhaps. However, the Bidwill family has owned the Cardinals for a long, long, long, long time. I think they perhaps like the historical aspect of it. But yes, the money may eventually become a bigger temptation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the NBA, but the Dallas Mavericks were fined $750,000 for sitting players in order to improve their chances of keeping their first round pick which was traded. They accomplished keeping the 10th draft pick in the 2023 draft.

Tim MacMahon, ESPN Staff Writer Apr 14, 2023, 01:18 PM ET:

The league determined that the Mavericks "violated the NBA's player resting policy and demonstrated through actions and public statements the organization's desire to lose the game in order to improve the chances of keeping its first-round pick" in this draft, according to a news release from the NBA.

"The Dallas Mavericks' decision to restrict key players from fully participating in an elimination game last Friday against Chicago undermined the integrity of our sport," Joe Dumars, NBA executive vice president/head of basketball operations, said in a statement from the league office. "The Mavericks' actions failed our fans and our league."

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Yet the entire universe knows it. Cool, no sanctions. Our new regiment has shown they know how to follow the rules.

I'm sure the coaches and players will attempt to win games obviously. Even, the 0-16 Lions played hard each week and came close to winning a few despite a horrific roster.

As long as they play Kyler when he is cleared to go, there will be 0% chance league intervention for tanking

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I'm sure the coaches and players will attempt to win games obviously. Even, the 0-16 Lions played hard each week and came close to winning a few despite a horrific roster.
Yeah, the Lions seemed to be really trying to win.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In spirit with all of Bidwill’s other stupid moves, I am sure he will put the team up after it has the worst attendance year since the new stadium was built. Selling low on a NFL franchise would certainly be a Bidwill thing to do.
Ill watch closel
Didn't the Jaguars offer some free beers one season they were especially horrid?

I guess just treat it like a comedy event. Enjoy a few drinks and laugh.
Offer free edibles will keep a riot from happening when 0-8 to start yr.... lol

Hard time zzz ton soooo pissed on release nuk

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry Colangelo traded off assets before he sold the Suns to make it more attractive.
When Colangelo "owned" the team he actually personally owned only 18-20% of the team but was the managing partner.

How much does Michael actually own as the Cardinals' managing partner (sibling)?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ticket master has regular season tickets for as little as 30 bucks on the resale market.

That is bonkers.

If McCain hadn't forced the NFL to dump their blackout rules the Cards home games would probably hardly be on local TV this year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont think they are tanking, as in "Stephen Ross of the Dolphins offering his HC money to lose games down the stretch" like tanking.

(and BTW: the NFL never suggested he sell the team for that nor did they even punish them for it -- so we might as well let go of that delusional fantasy).

i think that like many, many new executives taking charge of a business that isn't doing well -- step one for Monti is to tear it down to the studs.

this is a Detroit Lions style rebuild of two seasons ago -- complete with rehabilitating a once promising QB who seemed to have lost his way

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Colangelo "owned" the team he actually personally owned only 18-20% of the team but was the managing partner.

How much does Michael actually own as the Cardinals' managing partner (sibling)?

It's a good question, but I don't have the answer. Maybe it's listed somewhere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose