Are The Fans Bad or What?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The largest Steeler Bar/Restaurant not in Pittsburgh is located in Cave Creek, AZ (Harold's). During the season, on any game-day, that place is MOBBED with Steeler fanatics! The Steelers are a lot like the Cowboys, who have fans all across the country. But here in the valley, for some odd reason there is a massive, like tens of thousands massive, contingent of Steeler crazies!

Anyway, I was at the game yesterday and I was also at previous games when the Steelers came to town (most recently back in 2011). I honestly didn't feel like yesterday was any different. It is what it is... A crappy Cardinal team will a huge Steeler contingent living in the valley = a ton of yellow hankies being waved in the stadium. I would say that the split was probably somewhere around 65-35...maybe there were 20,000 Steeler fans there, with roughly 30-35k Cards fans.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Scalpers own like half the seats in the stadium. Happens all the time. Local people are not going to pay more than pitt fans when our team sucks.
Scalpers do NOT own half the seats...if so they're the dumbest scalpers on the planet
The ONLY game that made any scalper money was the Pitt game. EVERY and I mean EVERY other game they lost 50% or more on it.
You gotta remember their are a ton of fee's for using any site like StubHub or Ticketmaster NFL...and very few will deal with Craigslist nowadays.

There aren't scalpers anymore for the Cardinals....haven't been since Warner. Shoot I did it for years...it's a losing proposition. Dealing with people and tickets is a pain in the (you know what).

The ticket sales for Dallas, Green Bay, Raiders and Pitt are the ONLY money makers as a scalper when playing the Cardinals.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last year I had casual fans shake their head sadly when I wore Cards gear on game days. Now people don't even notice. :shrug:

People are right that the empty stadium last week is probably more concerning/embarrassing to Michael than the stadium largely full of opposing fans this week.

I have more people thinking I have an Atlanta Falcons jersey on than a Cardinals...lol it's one thing to be ignored it's another that people don't even remember the Cards exists.
LOL

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It is not the city.

It is not the fan base.

It is the product, and the products poor history. Everything else is just excuses failing to acknowledge that this is what happens when you have a historically bad franchise.
It can't be a combination of everything? The Suns for instance have a had a long history of being a good franchise and after a season or two of losing and the fans stopped showing up.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Timbuktu!?! It's like 5 minutes from where I grew up. And easily accessible by freeway. I would give anything for a 45 minute commute to a Cards game.
It's 45 minutes or so from the airport to the stadium. Plenty of people live in that area of the valley or further. I can't stand that on top of the price of tickets, it's all but impossible to get a decently priced and safe ride out to the stadium with a sober driver.

It's all a huge pain, and was when I went to ASU, too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yep.

Some people(fans) just don't seem to grasp this simple concept of modern migration in the US.

These fans aren't "traveling well." They live here. Or there (So Cal, Florida etc). It has zero to do with bad fans or bad fan support.

If one could somehow magically flip the Western climate with the Eastern climate then we'd have fans in Green Bay, Boston, Chicago & NY complaining about Cardinals, Seahawks, 49ers and Rams fans invading their stadiums too.

This is such a tired discussion.
Agreed. The “bad fans” thing is just plain stupid. Is it frustrating? Yeah. But everyone knows the remedy. Win. This team receives great support when they put out a great product.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you guys know how much it costs to go to a game? I can't fault fans for not paying a buttload of money to watch absolute trash for three hours. I love going and am lucky enough that my dad has always had 4 season tickets, but I sure as hell couldn't afford going to the games without it and for the most part, now I just enjoy the experience with my family more than anything.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been going to games the last few years, used to go to 3-5 games a year Putting the stadium in Glendale adds about an hr to my trip which already 31/2 to 4 hrs oneway when we played in Tempe. Wish they would have built in a more central location in town, that and the prices have made me question if I really want spend the money and time even if the product is good. I do miss the fan experience and the tailgating.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Season or two? It was a freaking decade.

we were just in the NFC championship in like 2016 with BA and in 2009 we went to the SB.

it hasn’t seen a decade it’s been a year and a half. Let’s all relax.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you guys know how much it costs to go to a game? I can't fault fans for not paying a buttload of money to watch absolute trash for three hours. I love going and am lucky enough that my dad has always had 4 season tickets, but I sure as hell couldn't afford going to the games without it and for the most part, now I just enjoy the experience with my family more than anything.

Yes, because we go to the games. Went solo from 1988-1992 and have had season tickets with my wife since 1993. At SDS we had end zone seats because they were the cheap seats. Upper level seats in the new place because suddenly our end zone seats were raised through the roof (price-wise). It's not very expensive, really, but then again we don't drink alcohol or eat food at the games. We eat before and/or after the games. We each bring a water in and at most we each buy a souvenir cup drink. Even in some of the worst games we've been to - we have had fun and watched some amazing plays by players on the field (not always our guys). For us we love the game day experience and being a part of it all. Makes the good times much sweeter when you've personally been through the bad times.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I do things fairly cheap and I still spend $100-200 on top of the tickets on game day.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Season or two? It was a freaking decade.
I'm not talking about currently, but back around 2012/2013. As soon as a team starts losing in AZ the fans stop showing up, it's just the way it is. The Knicks for instance have been trash for quite some time now and they still sell out pretty much every game. There just aren't that many die hard Suns fans in AZ, especially when compared to most other franchises that have had some success.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Agreed. The “bad fans” thing is just plain stupid. Is it frustrating? Yeah. But everyone knows the remedy. Win. This team receives great support when they put out a great product.

Yep... During the BA run, the stadium was a MAJOR home-field advantage... And, because all of my family and friends all live in the NYC area, I can assure everyone that both the Jets and the Giants are suffering the same way the Cards are with respect to visiting fans... In fact, the Steelers play the Jets in NY on Dec. 22nd. If any of you can, take a peak into what Met Life Stadium looks like at that game...it will likely closely resemble, if not be even more filled with yellow terrible towels and Duck hats, what took place yesterday...

Bottom line, with very rare exception (Chicago, Green Bay, Philly, Buffalo-maybe), wins are the ONLY way to fill a stadium with home town fans. Filling a stadium with home town fans is NOT the job of the fans, but the job of ownership, front office, coaches and players... period!

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is typical of relocation cities. We see it here in FL. I don’t expect to hear Bidwill criticize it. After all his dad deserted 2 cities which could hardly be a mark of loyalty.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Bad fans? Come to So Cal. The Rams have very few fans here....and the Chargers are well below SDS level Cardinals support.

That ESPN article on the state of the LA stadium was enlightening. The NFL doesnt believe that the Rams will be the #1 sports team in LA for at least a generation. Hell, I even think that might be optimistic.

Seattle has a large transient population as well, and when I lived there, I knew at least a dozen people who jumped on the Seahawks bandwagon.

The Cardinals just havent had one of those runs where they were good for 5+ years. What I fear with keeping Keim, isnt that he cant turn the team around; I fear he can't do the year to year reloads that you see John Schneider doing with the Seahawks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yep... During the BA run, the stadium was a MAJOR home-field advantage... And, because all of my family and friends all live in the NYC area, I can assure everyone that both the Jets and the Giants are suffering the same way the Cards are with respect to visiting fans... In fact, the Steelers play the Jets in NY on Dec. 22nd. If any of you can, take a peak into what Met Life Stadium looks like at that game...it will likely closely resemble, if not be even more filled with yellow terrible towels and Duck hats, what took place yesterday...

Bottom, with very rare exception (Chicago, Green Bay, Philly, Buffalo-maybe), wins are the ONLY way to fill a stadium with home town fans. Filling a stadium with home town fans is NOT the job of the fans, but the job of ownership, front office, coaches and players... period!

Yeah most markets could be called "transient".

Atlanta, Charlotte/Carolinas, California, Washington, Florida. The list of older cities without much influx is probably smaller.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know, I grew up with Steeler fans.... in Mesa, Arizona. Dudes were extremely serious Steeler fans, and though I haven't been in touch much with these friends since the Cardinals move here in 1987, I am certain that is still their team. Probably a lot of people like them showed up for the Steelers on Sunday.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This is typical of relocation cities. We see it here in FL. I don’t expect to hear Bidwill criticize it. After all his dad deserted 2 cities which could hardly be a mark of loyalty.

The Stadium was quite full yesterday... I'm sure Mike B made out quite well as those Steeler fans can put the brew away with the best of 'em! :shock:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Bottom line, with very rare exception (Chicago, Green Bay, Philly, Buffalo-maybe), wins are the ONLY way to fill a stadium with home town fans. Filling a stadium with home town fans is NOT the job of the fans, but the job of ownership, front office, coaches and players... period!

More proof that WINS = Butts in seats. Like death & taxes, this is also 100% true 100% of the time...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ver-arena-glendale-2020-21-season/2638542001/

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Living in MN, I spend $300/year to watch directv plus @WisconsinCard and myself spent $500 to see the cardinals play in Baltimore this year. If I would’ve known we’d be a 3 win team again this year, I still would’ve paid all of it. Call me dumb, but if I lived in AZ I’d be a season ticket holder. I always joke with my wife that we would save money moving to AZ because we wouldn’t have to get directv. She knows that I’d be a season ticket holder. I’m forever linked to this team. It’s a curse/virus/disease or whatever you want to call it.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Living in MN, I spend $300/year to watch directv plus @WisconsinCard and myself spent $500 to see the cardinals play in Baltimore this year. If I would’ve known we’d be a 3 win team again this year, I still would’ve paid all of it. Call me dumb, but if I lived in AZ I’d be a season ticket holder. I always joke with my wife that we would save money moving to AZ because we wouldn’t have to get directv. She knows that I’d be a season ticket holder. I’m forever linked to this team. It’s a curse/virus/disease or whatever you want to call it.
It was great meeting you. Looks like we have the AFC East & NFC East next year. Maybe we see you again in Philly, Washington, NY or New England!

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was great meeting you. Looks like we have the AFC East & NFC East next year. Maybe we see you again in Philly, Washington, NY or New England!
it was nice meeting you too. We talked about it after the game and we’re shooting for NY. We’ve already been to Philly, Washington, and NE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard