Are Kliff Kingsbury's Cardinals the future or folly? Either way they'll be something to see

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are Kliff Kingsbury's Cardinals the future or folly? Either way they'll be something to see

https://sports.yahoo.com/are-kliff-kingsburys-cardinals-the-future-or-folly-either-way-theyll-be-something-to-see-004253271.html

The most significant game of the NFL’s opening weekend is not Thursday’s 100th anniversary celebration between Green Bay and Chicago, Sunday’s prime-time clash between Pittsburgh and New England or even heavily hyped Cleveland finally taking the field.

It is what would otherwise be a diehards-only contest: Detroit at Arizona.

Each finished at the bottom in their respective divisions last year and it would surprise no one if they wind up there again in 2019. Understandably, the game will be broadcast almost nowhere other than Arizona and Michigan.

Yet what happens, or what doesn’t, could shape the way the NFL is played in the years to come.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

https://sports.yahoo.com/are-kliff-kingsburys-cardinals-the-future-or-folly-either-way-theyll-be-something-to-see-004253271.html

The most significant game of the NFL’s opening weekend is not Thursday’s 100th anniversary celebration between Green Bay and Chicago, Sunday’s prime-time clash between Pittsburgh and New England or even heavily hyped Cleveland finally taking the field.

It is what would otherwise be a diehards-only contest: Detroit at Arizona.

Each finished at the bottom in their respective divisions last year and it would surprise no one if they wind up there again in 2019. Understandably, the game will be broadcast almost nowhere other than Arizona and Michigan.

Yet what happens, or what doesn’t, could shape the way the NFL is played in the years to come.
The article kind of relays what I've said all along when people say he had a losing record in college. It wasn't because of his offense, that's for sure. It was his inability to have a defense. Never had a good DC there & either didn't recruit or couldn't get good defensive players? Mike Leach put more emphasis on defense when he coached there but it wasn't significantly better. Only good enough to go to crappy bowls most yrs while winning 6-7 games. Did have the one really good yr when Michael Crabtree played there. Texas Tech is a hard place to recruit to, after the big boys come into Texas & take the best players, schools like TT are left with the scraps. When KK coached there, his offenses were always near the top in the country & that is why we have him. The Cardinals tried to get him a big time DC so all he has to do is worry about calling plays. The jury is still out on the DC hired though lol, especially against the run. Not enough depth on defense this yr so can VJ really be judged fairly this season? Time will tell, it will also tell on KK calling plays in the NFL, we find out Sunday.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing to make me think that this won’t be the most exciting time ever to be a Cardinal fan!! For me, it’s all about K1. People want to think this offense fits him like a glove & that he couldn’t play in another system. I disagree. He’s going to keep DC’s up all night.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is the scheme effective?

Is the play calling effective?

Is the execution effective?

Is the other team playing effectively?

Mix or match and you get a different projected result.

What I hope is that Kingsbury's play calling is lights-out and that Murray plays his you-know-what off.

Add to this the impact of our newest players (many of whom we've never seen play) and maybe just maybe we can pull off a W.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
First, every new offensive idea is always resisted by the NFL. Second, much of the TT failure was defensive recruiting. KK no longer needs to recruit. Third, he has a better DC than he ever had at TT. Finally as to whether this offense can work, frankly no one knows. If it does the Cards will have plenty of years to fix the defense. Also if it works it will return us to the same fun we had when BA got the Cards rolling.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing to make me think that this won’t be the most exciting time ever to be a Cardinal fan!! For me, it’s all about K1. People want to think this offense fits him like a glove & that he couldn’t play in another system. I disagree. He’s going to keep DC’s up all night.

ummm 2008 much lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is, I think this offense is definitely the wave of the future for the NFL. But unfortunately, I think we're probably a few years too early to go all-in on it, and I'm not sure we got the right guy. I like Kingsbury as a person, and haven't felt any major negatives about his approach thus far, but I am concerned that the overall college record says something more than just recruiting or poor DCs.

Everyone knows my questions about Kyler. Does he know the system? Does he have great athletic ability? Yes to both. But you know my concerns.

Lastly, I'm worried about the overall personnel. Would K2 have been better suited for a team with more pieces in place? What can we pull off with the roster in its current state, and how quickly can we add parts to the team over the coming years to be revolutionary, and not just the model for everyone else?

It'll be interesting to see. Sunday will be quite the show, one way or the other.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ummm 2008 much lol

2008 was great, but we were a flawed 9-7 team that flipped the switch at exactly the right time. We also had an older QB that we knew wouldn't be around too much longer. That OL was just as bad as what we currently have, but Warner was one of the best QB's ever against the blitz. Until Murray, Lomax was the last young Cardinal QB that I was excited about.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

While I agree that Murray looks like a superstar QB in the making - I am not sold on Kingsbury's offense yet at all.

I am very scared of the blitz with much faster players making Kingsbury's offense unusable in the NFL. Only time is going to tell, but the few college type plays they tried in the preseason pretty much all failed completely.

I am afraid the jump in athleticism in the NFL is a much bigger factor than Kingsbury is accounting for. I hope I am wrong, but I am worried.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I agree that Murray looks like a superstar QB in the making - I am not sold on Kingsbury's offense yet at all.

I am very scared of the blitz with much faster players making Kingsbury's offense unusable in the NFL. Only time is going to tell, but the few college type plays they tried in the preseason pretty much all failed completely.

I am afraid the jump in athleticism in the NFL is a much bigger factor than Kingsbury is accounting for. I hope I am wrong, but I am worried.

I have far more faith in K1 than K2. In my opinion, even if the Air Raid system flames out, K1 can still be great in a more traditional NFL offense.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
2008 was great, but we were a flawed 9-7 team that flipped the switch at exactly the right time. We also had an older QB that we knew wouldn't be around too much longer. That OL was just as bad as what we currently have, but Warner was one of the best QB's ever against the blitz. Until Murray, Lomax was the last young Cardinal QB that I was excited about.

What! you weren't excited about Max Hall? :rolleyes:

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Some interesting stuff about K2. Keywords to me are "Proflic Big Plays". I just remebered Tarheels beat SC this past weekend when watching lol

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Some interesting stuff about K2. Keywords to me are "Proflic Big Plays". I just remebered Tarheels beat SC this past weekend when watching lol

What part of the video?? Sorry bro, I don’t wanna waste 16 minutes listening for it.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Five years age after Chip Kelly's initial success, teams experimented with up tempo no huddle offense. As quickly as it came it was gone.

The NFL has been there and done that with everything.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
It’s boom or bust. Either a success or a disaster. Bidwill gambled and I have come to like it. I would rather see this offense than one with Rosen under center. But the defense has faced some surprises. Very disappointed with Peterson, Philon, Nkemdiche, and the Alford injury. If this team wins 5 games and plays competitively in most, we have a path to success

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson