Apple says "What Recession"...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hard to contrast the on-going sluggish global economy and continued high rates of unemployment with the performance of Apple... Just amazing. Can you even begin to imagine what their numbers would look like if the global enonomy were even close to normal?? Wow!!!!!

Apple Earnings Surprise: Why Was Wall Street So Wrong?

Published: Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 |

Apple posted quarterly results that blew past expectations Tuesday, silencing numerous skeptics and making investors wonder how Wall Street could have been so wrong on the tech giant.

"Apple once again surprises on the upside despite expectations that iPhone sales would lag," Michael Yoshikami, CEO of YCMNET Advisors told Reuters. "When you have a strong rally in a stock it often sells off for no better reason than uncertainty—I think you're going to see the naysayers go away."

The tech giant reported fiscal second-quarter earnings of $12.30 a share on sales of $39.2 billion. The company was seen earning $10.04 a share on revenue of $36.8 billion, according to a consensus estimate from Thomson Reuters.

In addition, the company said it sold 35.1 million iPhones in the last quarter, easily surpassing estimates of approximately 30.5 million units.

“The bigger takeaway is that Apple is becoming a fantastic international growth story and it’s difficult to do proper channel checks just with the U.S.,” said Peter Misek, equity analyst at Jefferies. “Estimates are now probably going to be tweaked upwards.”

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47161478

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it really is remarkable. They continue to be hit with other issues but the stock keeps going up. We have all the FOXCONN stuff going on, the death of Jobs and now Greenpeace is picketing Apple stores and releasing balloons inside them demanding Apple go more "green" with iCloud after finding out that it's going to be heavily reliant on coal based electricity to power those server rooms necessary for the cloud.

yet Apple continues to blow through the roof on expectations.

I do think ultimately they're going to drop and probably fairly significantly but you gotta appreciate how well they're doing in a bad economy.

AZZenny

Reaction score
...and it's time to square off and take sides with the RobberBaron.com of your choosing. Unoffocial internal memo leaked that Target is dropping Kindle and all Amazon-based products, supposedly due to Target recent pairing up with Apple on some marketing deals and mini-stores, but (so far) it will continue to carry Nook and other readers -- However, this leaks out just a day or so after Microsoft buys heavily into Nook/B & N, so if an Apple connection really is the thing motivating Target's move, seems likely Nook could be next to go off the shelves.

Frankly, that move seems dumb to me for a supposedly independent retailer.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apple/Google = the new big bad wolves. In fact, they don't like each other, but they scheme together quite often. Check out the history of HTML 5.0 and Apple/Google's attempt to crush Adobe, which was in a very technical way an Apple spin-off company. Not that I don't hate Flash with a passion, but they're doing everything they can to make Flash irrelevant overnight, which probably shouldn't be allowed for people involved with writing code for the Internet.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apple/Google = the new big bad wolves. In fact, they don't like each other, but they scheme together quite often. Check out the history of HTML 5.0 and Apple/Google's attempt to crush Adobe, which was in a very technical way an Apple spin-off company. Not that I don't hate Flash with a passion, but they're doing everything they can to make Flash irrelevant overnight, which probably shouldn't be allowed for people involved with writing code for the Internet.

Ive always viewed google in a much better light than apple. Would be interested to hear the take from another perspective. A lot of what I see google do with their billions seems to be for the better of americans, the better of internet and the advancement of technology. I also have the assumption that they outsource far les than the outsourcing megatron that apple has become.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Google doesn't build things so it seems natural they wouldn't overtly outsource as much as almost any tech company that sells physical products. Pretty much all the major dotcom corporations outsource some of their high-level software R & D - often to Israel, India, Ireland, Korea, Taiwan.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive always viewed google in a much better light than apple. Would be interested to hear the take from another perspective. A lot of what I see google do with their billions seems to be for the better of americans, the better of internet and the advancement of technology. I also have the assumption that they outsource far les than the outsourcing megatron that apple has become.

No, Google just wants to know when, where, and how often you poop so they can sell that information to laxative companies and place laxative ads on all of your Google-related software and devices -- preferably in your face while you're struggling to do the deed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, Google just wants to know when, where, and how often you poop so they can sell that information to laxative companies and place laxative ads on all of your Google-related software and devices -- preferably in your face while you're struggling to do the deed.

I dont mind advertising so much...even with the ads on the side of gmail, I dont notice them.

Beyond that I usually have GPS things off and I dont "check in" at places or anything like that.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Yeah, and Apple would never do such things.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

+1.

One is run by the masses. One tells the company what they need.

The other is run by the few, and tell the people what they need.

I really like my new Android. It is versatile and allows me to do a lot with very little.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and Apple would never do such things.

Of course they do. And I said so first.

Originally Posted by Matt Self