Anyone see Evanescence?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to the Philly show on Wednesday. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen them and how they are in concert.

Thanks.

Sean

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the live, yet.

But I am interested to see how you liked the concert! :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like a song or two of theirs, but wouldn't pay to see them. They unnecessarily ripped the Christian market, where their cd had been promoted heavily and was selling very well. When they found out they were doing really well on the Christian music charts, instead of saying "Wow, that's nice," their reaction was "What the f##k are we doing on there?" No class.

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
I like a song or two of theirs, but wouldn't pay to see them. They unnecessarily ripped the Christian market, where their cd had been promoted heavily and was selling very well. When they found out they were doing really well on the Christian music charts, instead of saying "Wow, that's nice," their reaction was "What the f##k are we doing on there?" No class.

I won't pretend to fully know that whole deal. From what I've read Christian stores were assuming they were a Christian band (whereas they say they aren't, but a band that's Christian) and the stores pulled their music when they cussed in an interview or something.

However, like I said I don't know the whole story.

That being said, they're the first band in a long time to really affect me. So, they are in the area and I want to go check them out live.

If anyone's interested I can give a review.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Evanescence Set Pulled From Christian Distribution

Provident Music Distribution, the Christian distribution arm of Zomba, says it will no longer handle Wind-Up Records act Evanescence for the Christian retail market, Billboard Bulletin reports. The move follows published reports in which the band used profanity and made clear that it does not want to be known as a Christian act.

Don Noes, senior VP of Provident -- which had been distributing Evanescence's debut album, "Fallen" -- has issued a letter to its accounts saying Wind-Up has recalled the band's product from Christian retail. Noes tells accounts they can return Evanescence product for full credit.

Evanescence member Ben Moody was quoted recently in Entertainment Weekly as saying, "We're actually high on the Christian charts, and I'm like, What the f*** are we even doing there?"

"Fallen" is No. 1 on this week's Top Contemporary Christian Albums chart and No. 9 on The Billboard 200, while the single "Bring Me To Life" featuring Paul McCoy is No. 2 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks airplay chart. Material by Evanescence will be removed from subsequent Christian charts.

In a letter to Provident, Wind-Up chairman/CEO Alan Meltzer apologizes for "an unfortunate and embarrassing situation" and vows that in the future, the label will scrutinize "Christian artists' beliefs and commitment with even greater diligence."

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1866383

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by WaywardFan
That being said, they're the first band in a long time to really affect me. So, they are in the area and I want to go check them out live.

If anyone's interested I can give a review.

I'd love to hear how they are live. I missed them a few weeks back with Cold due to work but I would have loved to have made the concert.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to read a review as well - their album just kicks, it's really good. So are their videos.

Yeah - they're not a Christian band? Then who's fault is that? Perhaps a Christian label shouldn't have signed then and perhaps a Christian distributor shouldn't be distributing their product and perhaps other Christian artists shouldn't be making guest appearances on their debut album.

Somebody here is the fool and I say it's both the band and the label.

Shawn

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll post here after the fact.

Question is, would you like it a more narrative form or just the straight skinny?

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Whichever you have more time for. Most important question you must answer - how did Amy Lee look?

Also, did they try to reproduce the full-orchestra sound they have on their album or did they go bare (just instruments at-hand?)

Also, what did Amy Lee wear?

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mdamien13, I think you're being a little shy in what you really want to know about. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume, suppose if you will, that you might have a slight interest in the lead singer. Just a hunch.

Don't worry, if I go all descriptive here I'll be sure to include such things! I don't think I'll get to close, as I'll be going alone and will probably be the most out-of-place person there. I'm planning on sitting back and taking in the whole experience. We'll see if this venue is conducive to such an undertaking.

And, I share your interests...

They're playing with Cold, Revis and Cauterize, though I have no idea of any of these other bands. Anyone with any info?

I'm leaving for Philly in an hour. Please pray that I return unharmed.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cold is an alright band - I like some of their stuff. Evanescence just kicks major butt though - they should steal and be the show. The wife and I have been wanting to catch them.

I think you'll have a good time, should be a lot of fun.

Get back safe and let us know how it went.

Shawn

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
Yo, Wayward, where ya at? I need my Amy Lee fix!!!!

Sorry about that!

Okay, well I could get all narrative and maybe still will. But I did want to at least give some generals.

I was able to get a seat right on the ledge of a side balcony so I had a great unobstructed view. I was maybe 30 feet from the front of the stage.

The show was great. The first band was Cauterize. I liked them the most of the opening bands. The second band was Revis, I didn't pay much attention. The third band was Cold. Either the sound was really bad or they were.

Evanescence came on at 10:30. Amy and Ben were joined by their drummer and bassist. They also added another guitarist. They were awesome, and the sound was great. They are harder live than in the album but it worked well. The sound was very crisp and sharp. They are really good musicians.

But, Amy. Wow.

Now, she doesn't have any backup singers. She recorded her own backup vocals and they were reproduced digitally. It didn't take anything away from the show, and it worked well. And it was clearly evident that she was definitely singing live.

Her voice is strong and it is crystal clear. She's short, but her stage presence is enormous. Her body language is very expressive and it drew the audience in. While she was fluid in her movments she could instantly leap or stomp to the heavy beat or she could double over and belt out a note.

She sang the songs with the conviction the lyrics deserve.

They sang 12 songs, which included one encore of two songs. I didn't recognize 3 songs, which might have been older or newer stuff. They played all of Fallen except Hello and My Last Breath. Bring me to Life was awesome. They played My Immortal as the first song of the encore and it was too cool. Going Under, Tourniquet, Haunted, and Everybody's Fool were also very well done.

For the concert, Amy wore this black dress and black and white stripped stockings and boots. The top of the dress almost looked like a spaghetti strapped bustier, with the bottom of the dress kind of tattered. Her hair was pulled back and bunched up a little on top. For the encore, she came out in a white tank top and brown khakis. She was beautiful. She has a soft spoken voice and likes to laugh.

She is clearly gifted, and the show was more of an experience or an event than a concert.

I can go into more detail if anyone wants to know. If you like their music now, you would love to see them in concert. Indeed, you probably NEED to see them in concert.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave