another ridiculous trade proposal

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Sorry, one other thing to clarify:

If Mutombo would be #11 in the league in blocks per 48 minutes, he would also be #11 in the league in blocks per minute. The league rankings would be identical.

And again, why bother? Meaningless.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by hcsilla
NOTICE: I am very sorry, hcsilla. I meant to quote your post, but instead I accidentally edited it. Again, I'm sorry I did not mean to do that.- Joe

If you're talking about Kurt Thomas I have a hard time including him in a comparison with Mutumbo because he is really a power forward. The same goes for Swift.

Joe Mama
I know.But both Thomas and Swift played better at C than Mutombo did.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Ok OK I agree Mutombo is a better center. But the Suns will not be using a center like Mutombo becouse he is slow and doesn't have a jump shot ala Big Jake. I think if we added Mutombo to are team we would average more blocks but less or equal to point and Rebounds as Big Jake would. Just like in NJ Mutombo has a problem being on a run and gun team and the Suns are more uptempo than NJ. I say lets stick with what we have next year and make a run for a free agent next year.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hcsilla:

I wanted to respond to your statement that Mutombo is no better than any current Suns center. Joe Mama "strategically" erased the stats you provided ;) , but I think you said that any Suns center could do the same if given the time.
Due to Joe Mama just I know what I said.

More seriously I said if any Suns C could put up similar numbers if they would get consistent 25 mins.

If you look at the numbers, I think it's pretty clear that the Suns' centers could compete only in scoring, and not in rebounding or blocked shots.

Mutombo this year:
5.8 pts, 6.4 reb, 1.5 blk in 21.4 min

Tsakalidis:
4.8 pts, 3.6 reb, 0.5 blk in 16.3 min

Voskuhl:
3.9 pts, 3.4 reb, 0.5 blk in 14.7 min

Williams:
4.0 pts, 2.8 reb, 0.3 blk in 12.7 min
I know these stats.
That's why I said that maybe Mutombo is an improvement at C.

But I can't get rid of the thought that Mutombo is clearly and quickly declining.
I was under this impression already in the last year's play-off against BOS.
Mutombo simply wasn't the old.He couldn't guard even Tony Battie.

And this season till now just proved my impression about Mutombo.

BTW, you didn't answer my question yet.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama

Really, anybody who thinks that Mutombo isn't better than the Jakes and Scott Williams has severely overrated the Phoenix Suns center rotation.

Joe Mama

I don't think that I ever have.
But I do think that you are overrating Mutombo.

Plus I agree with SweetD that Frank Johnson probably would bench Mutombo.
So why should we trade for a C who would play only against LAL?

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Which question? The one of why the Nets would trade Mutombo? I already answered that at the beginning of this thread.

1. He is a terrible fit for them.
2. They save a lot of money in 2004-05.
3. They reunite Backcourt 2000.

Oh, and I did read your post before Joe Mama edited it. I just can't remember exactly what it said.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Which question? The one of why the Nets would trade Mutombo? I already answered that at the beginning of this thread.

Oh, and I did read your post before Joe Mama edited it. I just can't remember exactly what it said.

So why would Suns not want to do this trade.

1. He is a terrible fit for them
2. They loose a lot of money in 2004-05
3. They loose Backcourt 2002

Thanks but no Thanks 2-3 years ago yes now NO!

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

My question was "If Mutombo is really that good why would NJN do this trade?"

1.And who would be a better fit for them at C after this trade?Gugliotta?
If Mutombo is that terrible fit for them why would he be a well fit for Suns?

2.And they take a lot of money after.

3.I doubt that this would be a legit point for NJN. 3 years passed since then.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I really don't understand why you want to argue about this. I said it is a silly idea that I just found amusing, and here are some reasons why the teams involved

MIGHT

want to do it. Now you want to say that you disagree with these reasons. Bully for you. It's not like this proposal would ever happen anyway.

(Edit: I just went back and saw that once I did write "would," instead of "might." I apologize for the confusion. Of course I meant "might.")

However, there is no team that is quite as dependent on open-court play as Jason Kidd's team. This is true no matter what team he is on. So Mutombo is a worse fit on the Nets than any other team in the league. If New Jersey exits the playoffs early, they will consider trading Mutombo. This will also be true if Kidd leaves and they have to rebuild the team all over again.

The Suns' offense is much more of a halfcourt offense. If you watch the games, you'll see that they don't run anywhere near as much as they did when Kidd was in Phoenix. The reason they don't use Tsakalidis is not, in my opinon, because he doesn't score -- it's because he is slow and unaware defensively. Mutombo is a much better defender than Tsakalidis. I think that, in the fantasy scenario where the Suns had Mutombo, they would use him.

Of course he is grotesquely overpaid and there are questions about his health. I've never debated that.

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Mutombo could play a solid 30-33 minutes on this team. Maybe even more. 7 points, 8 boards? Plus, even at 50, he would provide the Suns with solid defense in the middle. The more that I think about it, I might consider doing that trade if the offseason.

Its basically Hardaway for Kittles + Mutumbo anyways.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Of course Mutombo could play 30 minutes a game, unless his injury was/is worse than is being reported. He was in the mid-20s with New Jersey this year before getting hurt, and that was with a team that has to run on every possession.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate
Mutombo could play a solid 30-33 minutes on this team. Maybe even more.
:roll:
Frank would never give a true center that much PT. I like having Big-Jake playing 12-20 minutes, I think the Suns have a chance to make everyone change their game plan to the Suns. They can go Big or Small. The only piece missing and hopefull we can fill this need in the draft is a 6-10 to 7' shortrang shooter that can put a body on the other teams C and play Help D for 12-20 minutes.
HHHMMMMMMMMM anyone out there around are pick time?????

You must be registered for see images

:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson